1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Samick Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Tele-Champ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Stratelcaster

Stratelcaster Tele-Meister

"The Samick"

I bought this guitar for about $199 US from what I suppose was a Adam Jones fan. Put new Grover tuners, Tonepros bridge and tail, all new wiring, Dimarzio 36th anniversary neck and Andy Timmons bridge. Tone controls push/pull for series/parallel. I believe that it specs out almost exactly like a Les Paul. Lots of other really nice Samicks on here. I just bought a Samick-made Ibanez Ghostrider 520....so I guess I have quite a Samick stable going already.

Attached Files:

outsidr317 likes this.
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim TDPRI Member

Yours is the same model as mine, I have the Tobacco burst.
    This is the 1st version of Samick's LP, when they had the Gibson contract.
    Late 80's. Wish I could find a black one.
    I have also done all the upgrades you have,
    replaced all wiring with vintage braided wire, I went with Seymour Duncan for pups.
    My hardware was a little hard to find in the gold plating.
    Mine is also the tear drop type burst, not the edge type. great guitars.

[​IMG]

3. Devrominums

Devrominums NEW MEMBER!

About to become a first time Samick owner.

Hey there everyone.
    I am about to buy my first Samick. I have owned a lot of different guitars in different price ranges. I have played a few Samicks over the years and have always been impressed, especially for the price. Today I found what I feel to be a great deal on a used but mint condition Samick JAD-25 with the p-90s. I can't find much info on them, but was directed here, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I am about to pay $100 Canadian for it, good deal? Anyways I am excited to be joining the Samick owners club and I will update you when I actually have the guitar in my hands. :D

4. paintengr

paintengr TDPRI Member

I just got a epi Paul stand made by Samick Indonesia, fine as wine!

5. paintengr

paintengr TDPRI Member

Hey how's everyone feel about GHS rockers?

6. Devrominums

Devrominums NEW MEMBER!

Looks pretty sweet! Love the pup upgrade choices. What's the neck like?

7. Willy Williams

Willy Williams NEW MEMBER!

Hi,
    I've just picked up one of these in a dark maroon with a white scratch plate, black p90's. Very hard to find information on it.
    Can you tell me anything about it?

8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I came across this in Japan. I didn't know anything about it when I bought it, but I loved the look. Plays just fine as well.

It was a Greeeen (J pop band) signature model. Made by Samick. Gigbag says Greg Bennett. Headstock logo is 'Grace' in gold. Confused? I am. With a couple of rare exceptions I don't like gold hardware, so I replaced it with black. Grover tuners (which a friend gave me), Gotoh bridge, painted the strap pegs myself. I put a sticker over the logo which is pretty ugly, but still better than what was there (did I mention I don't like gold?)

Put in SD JB/Jazz pickups in zebra / reverse zebra. Better than stock but they're not really doing it for me. They're wired in spin-a-split. I'm going to try re-wiring as triple-shot equivalents but ultimately I'll probably replace them.

I now have 2 other LP types which are better, but I still find myself irresistibly drawn to it from time to time so I don't think I can let it go.

Attached Files:

9. atfq

atfq TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, my first post, need help to identify these two samicks. The SG i bought for 80 bucks. I have no clue about the manufacture date. The other one i bought from a friend in the 90s. No clue what it is. Thanks in advance for any feedback

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

Can you take a close up of the front and back of the headstocks?

11. atfq

atfq TDPRI Member

Here you are,this is the SG

[​IMG]

This is the other one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are no numbers on the back of the headstock. And both guitars have samick tuners. Hope this helps

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

A couple of years ago, I picked up a beat up Samick for $40 that I believe was from the 80's due to the headstock. I was looking for a cheap guitar that i could install my Roland GK pickup on with screws and not worry about it....which I did. I fixed a few minor issues, like input jack and ended up putting in a new three way. The guitar plays GREAT. Unbelievable how good it is. I've also come to realize that this guitar might possible be a one off. I have been unable to find another one with only two pickups HS like this one. I have asked around, searched the net...and even searched the old catelogs. Maybe some of you might be able to find one or know something about it. It's not a big deal....just thought it was kind of cool that I owned a guitar that I could find nothing about in the internet age.

[​IMG]

BadBen and atfq like this.
  13. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

Samick kept really bad(or none at all?) records. There may have been 1000 of those made in a week, or you might be right about it being the only one. Either way that's a cool guit you managed to track down!

14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I had a badass Samick Ray Benson signature Tele assembled by Valley Arts that was simply awesome!

I know where it is and I miss it.....

15. SamickDude

SamickDude TDPRI Member

Your SG is a Japanese market model (thus the open book HS). They were made roughly from 1988-1992. Same specs as their regular SG as far as I can tell (which means, the same as the Epiphone G-400 of that time, which they also made). No serial numbers so no way to date definitively, except maybe the switch. Sometimes they have a date ink-stamped on the side. If you take a look, I'd be interested to know what you find.

The superstrat is a 1990 KVMC-403. Specs here:

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/K

I don't have your guitar in my catalogs either. But they often produced batches of unique models that were not included in their catalogs. Luckily, I came across one with the model sticker still intact, and it's a YV-441.

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/Y#YV-441

atfq and BadBen like this.
  16. atfq

atfq TDPRI Member

SamickDude, you are a legend. thanks a bunch.

SamickDude likes this.
  17. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I just installed Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings, and P Rail pickups on my Samick IH-10, and also had it set up, with new tuners and a nut. Big difference! Trying flatwounds (10's), maybe should've gone a little lighter?

Poster with several guitars in the same line "jazz"?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I first got it at a flea market:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

atfq likes this.
  18. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

With new nut, tuners, and the Seymour Duncan P Rails and Triple Shots:

[​IMG]

SamickDude likes this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Well hang onto your hats you Samick guys! I used to collect Samick Greg Bennetts & I still have several beautiful ones in mint condition as new, most I bought new.

And as far as what I think about them just consider this, I have about 40 guitars, some are worth up to $5,000, and I don't keep any guitar I don't like, so it speaks highly of these Greg Bennett Samicks to roost in my collection. Anyhow,here we go:

2005 Lasalle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 1990's Samick factory prototype for the Greg Bennett Avion 5, that's a TRUE SOLID 1/2" thick quilt maple top no cheap veneer here baby, they spared no expense for the prototype:

[​IMG]

Also came with real Seymour Duncan pickups, no "Duncan Designed cheapness here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note no logo, Grover tuners, they had not quite nailed the final shape of the Greg Bennett line headstock yet, but it was close. Also this has a 1 piece mahogany neck, no scarf joint here folks:
    [​IMG]

A lovely Macassar Ebony fret board:
    [​IMG]

Came with a really nice hardshell case too:
    [​IMG]

More to come!!!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    SamickDude and Zepfan like this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

L to R are 3 Greg Bennett Royales, years 1999-2001, a dark red burst maple quilt-top RL3, a "Black Beauty Custom" RL4, & a vintage light burst spruce top JZ133/AKA RL5:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better pics of the JZ133:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the quilt top RL3:

[​IMG]

Factory ad for the JZ133/AKA Royale RL5:

[​IMG]

Here's a detail of the solid mahogany monoframe semi-hollow body used on these Royales:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.