Same worship team new worship leader

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Capo is one thing try working with a worship leader who can't play keys in different keys and used the transpose button. Regularly would go off into the unknown and you would have to find him by ear. Could not do this now with no amp on stage to bend down to and turn down while fiddling trying to find the key. Real trainwreck with in ears and a silent stage! This kind of stuff is why I can now pull off truly spontaneous stuff like this one the fly so--. Recorded on a little Sony personal recorder sitting in a chair in the front row at an event BTW.

oyobass

Tele-Meister
Capo is one thing try working with a worship leader who can't play keys in different keys and used the transpose button. Regularly would go off into the unknown and you would have to find him by ear. Could not do this now with no amp on stage to bend down to and turn down while fiddling trying to find the key. Real trainwreck with in ears and a silent stage! This kind of stuff is why I can now pull off truly spontaneous stuff like this one the fly so--. Recorded on a little Sony personal recorder sitting in a chair in the front row at an event BTW.
"keyboard capos" should be banned, although they allow me to play the Am or C notes in any key.

I guess that as long as people return the transpose control back to A=440 when finished or remember where they left the key "parked", it should work OK.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
my last church the song leader used tge capo as a crutch. he would never barre. to his defense he was a fantastic trumpet player and great at fingerpicking. and he would always just have his own set of chord music for his change. he did however forget to capo a song quite often when starting but one of us would usually stop him almost immediately. i only had to transpose once on the fly with him. thankfully it was a 3 chord song. i played bass with him. it could be annoying but i guess not as annoying as what some of u have had to deal with.

im so glad someone showed me barre chords early on in my playing. i use them a lot. i use a capo EVERY ONCE in a while. Typically I will just barre. But i actually think capoing higher up can sound cool. and if your guitar is out if tune cuz its capo'd, then u need to tweak intonation. well if its an electric. i know it might not always be 100 percent perfect but i feek like my guitars sound fine capod all over.

although maybe thats why i dont do it that much. but i have a student that was wanting to learn this one guys music and he was capoing a lot.

anyways. i think if u got more than one guitarist on a church team, and theyre both strumming chords, one of them playing it in a different spot on the neck is a good thing.

Last edited:

Lineville65

TDPRI Member
I serve with three different WL’s. The newest asked I could meet with her to go through the songs midweek. During the rehearsal with her I noticed she was having a lot of difficulty. I reached for my capo saying, “ Let’s try a different key.” She said, “What’s a key?” Patience, prayer, and demonstration and thankfully all good now.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I think the key of E is one of my favorite keys. So many great chords and so many voicings to use. However to get there you have to get through F#m and C#m . Once you do though, it opens up so much.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I think the key of E is one of my favorite keys. So many great chords and so many voicings to use. However to get there you have to get through F#m and C#m . Once you do though, it opens up so much.
Me too. My singing voice sounds the best in E major. Though my keyboard players hate that key.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
i did a song last year with my strat in e flat and it sounded super good. i dont have enough guitars to leave one that way cuz i do typically play standard tuning. its just easier when i gotta figure out songs for my country band. and i do think i like the tension better in e. but i mean!' i wouldnt necessarily mind having one always in e flat. i should try one of my basses that way too.