1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sam Ash Sales Guys Made My Skin Crawl

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PastorJay, Feb 22, 2019.

1. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

I like sashimi and I like enchiladas. I like my strats, tele and semi hollow. Good sales folks will dial-in to people and help them learn, compare, decide or whatever. Other sales folks perhaps fit other people's style, or perhaps have to learn how to be good.

DugT and PastorJay like this.
  2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I like Mexican food with Cholula on it. I like sushi with wasabi. And Thai food with chili sauce.

I also like Strats and 335s. I would love to own one of both.

I've loved 335s since sometime in the 70s. Plus or minus 40 years ago I was in a band with a guy who owned one, but he really liked a guitar that belonged to the bass player. So he played that guitar in the band. And I played his 335 on some songs that it fit better than my SG.

I've never owned a real Strat, but did have an Ibanez Strat that I sold because I wasn't playing in an electric band at the time and I needed the money. I thought it sounded great but didn't play it enough.

Either one would be a nice complement to my current arsenal of Tele and LP Special. The Strat is probably more useful in my current musical situation, but who knows when that will change?

I'll sit on this for a couple days and probably buy a Strat.

GEECEE likes this.
  3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

The guy is probably on commission making minimum wage. If he doesn't make his numbers he's gone.

The best sales people leave you alone to make a decision. At least he's not trying to rake you over the coals and throw in some candy and six months worth of phone calls to prove he cares!

PastorJay likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

My ex boss was like that. Made me cringe watching him work. I'm shocked at how many people would cave, like they didn't have a spine. Ex boss would constantly criticize me for not slathering it on too.

Like you say, I don't respond well to that tactic either.

PastorJay likes this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have two Guitar Centers and one Sam Ash within a really easy drive (and a few more GCs and one more Sam Ash if I’m willing to drive an hour or so). I also have two music shops in my town within walking distance. I’ve never been pressured to buy at any of them and they’ve all tended to be pretty helpful except if they’re slammed, but I tend to go in on weekdays around when they open, so there’s rarely much problem there.

I have a strat, an Ibanez semi-hollow (my versionof a 335 - I like the way Ibby semi-hollows play way more than any others I’ve tried), and a tele. The strat’s always been number 1, but when I was looking for a number 2, I was interested in both the semi-hollow and the tele and didn’t know which I wanted to get first, so I can relate to the OP having pretty different guitars in mind. I ended up with the semi-hollow and a P90 tele and now I’m about ready to stick P90s in the semi-hollow and swap out the P90 tele for a standard tele, so it’s never completely settled...

PastorJay likes this.
  6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My urologist looks like Anne Hathaway's better-looking sister. That reminds me, I need to make an appointment...

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My local SA is a ghost town most of the time. We're lucky to have a SA, GC, Music Go Round and a mom and pop store all located by the same mall on the northside of Indy.

PastorJay likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Good salespeople ask for orders. That’s classic behavior.

It’s how you ask for the order that differentiates them. A sales guy recently politely and cheerfully said to me “you can always make an offer and we have room to discount....can I send you home with this Tele today?” That was good. I’m sure he makes a low hourly wage plus a percentage of the margin that he creates. I offered $100 off on on a $849 Tele. Done! The sales guy was very polite. I appreciated the guy. I was glad that he asked for an offer.

When they get pushy or rude or sarcastic I walk away. The economy sorts those salespeople out after a while.

Either way it’s words, not sticks and stones. Don’t let pushy goofballs get under your skin. Being interested in both a Strat and a 335 only means that you have great taste. :cool:

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL, this is the store I was talking about. I have been going there on and off since 1999 and will never go there again after the last time. It used to be OK when the guitars and amps were more prominent, but now with them in the back corner of the store and everything crammed into a small space, it just is not welcoming and the employees have been total slackers the last few times I was in there.

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would never blame a salesman for trying to sell me something, even if I don't need or want it ... That's what they do ... In most cases, if they don't sell, they don't get paid ... If they don't get paid, they don't eat ...

bcorig and PastorJay like this.
  11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Ease up. They're probably working on commission and their lives depend on selling you something. It could be that they're worried about making the rent or the car payment.

PastorJay likes this.
  12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 That was the first thing that came to my mind too and buy both. Same for sales guys/gals too.

Many years ago at a GC a few days before Christmas, an overly helpful sales man (the manager) was trying to make a sale...it was one of the early Highway One Strats. I think it was $750, I kinda wanted it and he said he could go $600. I had dealt with him before, a good guy. I wasn't biting. A short while later as was about closing time we were leaving and the guy says..."this is a one time only offer...$450 cash and you walk out with the Strat...I said thanks but no thanks and left. I had the cash to boot. As we were pulling out of the parking lot my brother said "I can't believe you passed on that...you know you want one." I shrugged off at the time. I forget the exact numbers but it was around $300 less than the tag. Fifteen years later still regret it and still long for an early Highway One Strat.
    So the moral of this story is maybe you should have taken the deal and walked out with the 335. And go get that Strat too!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    PastorJay likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

When I used to regularly buy Vintage Guitar magazine (aka, critical life support/artificial enhancement for old instrument values) I was always creeped out by the last page ads featuring Sammy Ash and his old rocker buddy Mike Rock.

So glad there are none of those stores near me.

14. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

It is not really the sales person's fault. They have regular meetings on not letting anyone escape without the goods. Of course everyone knows this but sometimes it's hard to think in those terms when under fire. They are protecting their jobs. They are under pressure from management who are under pressure from upper management and so on up the ladder to corporate. Goals and quotas, so I just let them ramble. I work for a large corporation although I am not in sales thankfully. I know what the sales people go through. I have no problem with large corps, as they employ a lot of people. It is a blessing and curse. Then there are those who are just a pain in the.

omahaaudio likes this.
  15. stupot

stupot TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

i've always had good experiences with Sam Ash, here in the valley. great friendly staff, helpful and you can always strike a deal.Unlike GC, where the staff are usually young kids, who think they are Gods gift to music and who always have an attitude about them. i have gone a couple of times to get guitar boxes, for when i have sold a guitar and they have given to them for free.

16. cwinn

cwinn TDPRI Member

I worked at Sam Ash.

...and Guitar Center.

...and independent music stores.

I've seen both the positive & negative experiences reflected here from both sides of the counter. I've been on both sides of the counter.

Those sales meetings are DAILY, before the doors open. On Saturdays, there's usually customers banging on the doors to get in before they open, while the sales manager is reaming out a bunch of sales staff about getting numbers. The staff walks away dejected before the day starts, while the customers come in angry that the doors unlocked at 10:05 when "The sign on the door says 10!" Que a rough start to a typical Saturday at a big box store.

The managers want you to be talking to all customers in the store. Not all customers want to be talked to, and some only want to talk.

I worked repair, and I was always happy to offer advice on parts, or what repair needed to be done. I'd offer tips to the do-it-yourself guys, but I'd never tell them step-by-step how to do the work. I have a family to take care of, and my low (very, VERY low) hourly wage needed to be supplemented with the commission I make on repairs. Which also means I couldn't hang out all day waxing on wiring schematics or fret sizes. I would constantly be working while talking with people when I could. Some took this as rude, and blew me off as a surly repair tech. Some listened to my suggestions, and brought me work when they got into projects too big or time consuming for them. I tried my best to allot the proper amount of time & patience to each customer. I'm sure I came off poorly when I didn't intend to, and I know I didn't come off correctly when I tried to blow people off.

The SA here advertises jobs to "Aspiring Rock Stars". They want young guys trying to make it in the business. They want players who gig, and have real experience and insight into the product they sell. They also want players who gig because it's hard to live off your sales income alone.

Those same players are out late, gigging. That makes for tired, grumpy working musicians who may not be the most patient or understanding sales staff. Because they really aren't salesmen - they're working musicians.

Being rude is just that. There is no room in polite society for rudeness.

But there is no money to be made chasing down every Gibson this or Fender that to A/B for even 30 minutes. In that time, there is another salesman making $10-$15 dollars in commission over 30 minutes just ringing up strings, straps & cables to the 3 or 4 customers just coming in, picking up the stuff they need & leaving without a bother.

It's an aggressive business. Box stores are trying to get your money when you are in there, because you can't buy from that sales rep if you aren't in the store. Online retailers entice you with discount prices, because you are constantly browsing at your leisure online, and only buy when the price is rock bottom.

If someone is an outright jerk to me in a store, I don't deal with that person. I choose to live in a polite society.

I go to stores to see things in-person. I go online to see the lowest price. The compromise of seeing an instrument first hand is that the price may not be the best. The compromise of buying online is that the guitar may not be exactly as I hoped, but I got it at the price I wanted. It's a balancing act of priority.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I encountered the most honest salesperson ever at the Huck Finn musical festival out at the Narrows one time. She was rip roaring drunk and selling Deering banjos at a table. She could play too! One guy went from one to the other plinking and plunking and making a horrible racket. Finally he asked the lady, which one of these is the best? She replied, honey it don't make a damned bit of difference they're pretty much all the same.

suthol and PastorJay like this.
  18. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

I worked for mars and gc when I was in college. In their (sales assoc)defense it was brutal. In order to make any money you had to hustle. you wonder why no one there knows anything: because anyone that does is just there temporarily.

understand the game. they try to bend me to their will... I tend to be cool but have fun with them "does that ever work on people?" "oh, I better buy it right now then?" (as I reach for my back pocket like i'm pulling out my wallet). Usually that puts an end to sales tactics and we both just have fun. I always ask their name and let them know that if I buy I will ensure they get comish - that usually is the key to them moving on to trying to sell someone else as they believe you are locked up and they need to make as much as possible. If not, no harm in saying "can I just play and think on it a bit?"

You can tell them you aren't buying but that is what everyone says to brush off salespeople... they have no choice but continue to play the game in hopes of being able to pay their bills. I'll probably get flamed for somewhat being on their side but a little empathy couldn't hurt.

PastorJay likes this.
  19. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

Sometimes you just feel like buying guitar model you don't have just to add to the collection.

PastorJay likes this.
  20. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

I've seen lots of pastors who really slather it on. For that matter, I know people who almost always try to be too annoyingly persuasive about everything. It makes me glad that I am just the worlds biggest exagerator.

PastorJay and Gmountain like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.