Salvaged vintage organ tubes value?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Neener, Apr 18, 2021.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Think of it as recycling. You’re doing a service for your community. :D But, now you know the true meaning of “organ donor”.

Neener likes this.
  2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

12ax7 organ pulls will be of some worth to someone. I'm using them in my amps as we speak. I have Baldwin (Raytheon & Sylvania), Lowry (Raytheon) & Wurlitzer (RCA) in my tube stash as we speak. Same damned tubes with the same results. Good use for guitar amps if they test well.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Neener, Cali Dude and Wally like this.
  3. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Made a quick pitstop on the way in to work

2762E3E5-BDC3-493D-989D-007FF881D861.jpeg

4. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

For a few years finding free organs was one of my summer time digs. I’d go collect them and basically harvest them of speakers, tubes, hardware, grill cloth. Felt bad about tearing them apart but felt better about putting them to use and salvaging as much as possible instead of the whole lot going to the dump.

5. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I like having a stash of good vintage 12AU7 tubes on hand. Must have over 100 from organ pulls. Clear top RCA types are excellent. Some amplifiers use a 12AU7 for the output tube, such as the Marshall DSL1. The 12AU7 delivers improved sound from ART Tube Mic Preamps over the stock 12AX7, thanks to their excellent linearity at the low voltages they operate at. There are preamp schematics on the web showing the 12AU7 running at only 12 volts of B+. It's also a great reverb driver tube in Twin Reverbs to tame the reverb. :)

muscmp and Neener like this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I really hate seeing cool old stuff go to waste as well. Glad I went back for it. It’s not like they still make 60s tube amps anymore.

I’ll clean it up and take apart When I get home, maybe start a new thread to get some ideas for a project flowing. I’ve never built an amp before so might be a perfect place for me to start.

muscmp and DADGAD like this.
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Yes, do it. It is an excellent way to get started in tube amp repair, building and tweaking. Study up on the dangers of high voltage tube amps first, then go for it. Lots of the good people on TDPRI will be happy to help you. :)

Neener likes this.
  8. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

9. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I have sold dozens of used 12AX7s pulled from Craigslist for 20 bucks a piece on CL and Ebay.
    And sold Sylvania 6SN7s for sixty each.

Neener likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.