1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Salvaged vintage organ tubes value?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Neener, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Was on a bike ride this morning and came across this abandoned old organ. Upon closer look I realized it completely filled with tubes, sweet!

Now I don't know the first about organs, or really vintage tubes for that matter. So I did some reading when I got home and seeing some of these could be repurposed, I decided to go back and rescue them. Couldn't stand the thought of them rotting away all alone in the wilderness (of Detroit).

Any idea the value of these? I did some quick research but didn't dig too deep. I know RCA's are somewhat sought after.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'd have taken those, too. It depends upon which tubes are in there, exactly. I've never raided an old organ for tubes, but I think there should be a goodly number that -- by spec, at least -- can work in guitar amplifiers. The issue is whether they're still good or not. And you'll need to test them somehow to find out.

Wally and Neener like this.
  3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

The speakers. Did you grab the speakers too? Some old organs had alnico Jensens. ... and the transformers. Grab those.

... and any old Sprague bumble bee caps....

But as to value, it depends on what they are and the brand. Some are more desirable than others. eBay May shed some light on the value of individual tubes.

AlfaNovember likes this.
  4. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Haha I started going after the speakers but the chassis was in the way. It's also in kind of a bad neighborhood, didn't want to take too long. Don't think they were Jensen's. I'll post a pic

I was going to remove the chassis and dig deeper, but there was also mouse turds everywhere and decided to just grab the tubes and get.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Nice score!

The first thing to do is sort them by type, then check "vintage" tube vendors (and eBay) for a rough idea of their worth. Of course, used tubes are much less valuable than true NOS (and some weasel came up with the term ANOS for "Almost New Old Stock", which basically boils down to "used". I think it's appropriate that the term looks like it should be pronounced "anus"). See if you can find a local repair guy who has a functioning tube tester (just because you have one, that doesn't mean it's working correctly) who'll test them for you (maybe you can pay him in tubes?).

As DADGAD pointed out, the speakers and transformers are worth salvaging, too.

Did you discover a goldmine? No, but those are very cool tubes that I'm sure lots of people will be interested in, and if you're honest about them and charge a reasonable amount you stand to make a tidy sum. Or, use them yourself!

Neener likes this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

There were two of these speakers

4.jpg

7. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Dang, maybe I'll go back tomorrow. I doubt it's moved.

As far as the tubes, I didn't expect a goldmine just curious the value. I'll definitely get rid of some if there's any interest, but may hold on to some for a future build

8. Telecaster1954

Telecaster1954 TDPRI Member

Speaker is Maxnavox I believe (232)? 15th week of 1966 (1976?).

I first assumed that the 583652 was code/date but couldn't find anything for 583 except an EIA for moisture material handling.

Neener likes this.
  9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Most of the organ tubes end up being 12AU7s, which aren't worth anything. Rectifiers and power tubes though can be a nice find. Pop them in an amp and see what happens.

SnidelyWhiplash, Neener and beyer160 like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Tubes in that crazy array that looks like a wind farm are usually in the signal generator circuit, and not usable in amps.
    The chassis down in the bottom looks like the amp though, and those are damn near a guitar amp already.

OldDude2, JRapp, Neener and 1 other person like this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you found any 7199s those are pretty valuable, even used. They've been out of production for years and Ampeg used them a lot in the blue check era, I seem to recall Hammond used them in organs as well.

SnidelyWhiplash and Neener like this.
  12. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I tried to get the "amp" chassis free, but the nuts are so corroded. I'd most likely need a deep socket for my drill. Its like those speaker mounting screws. Long screw with the nut.

13. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I actually just ran back there, you guys got me kinda pumped lol

The speakers are behind or "in front" of the massive metal "chassis" or body where all the organ tubes were. That is being suspended by giant flat-head screws that are super corroded, My 18v Ryobi was no match.

Similar experience with the transformers. All the screws are so badly corroded I just couldn't get them to budge. Just don't have the tools or the time unfortunately

And like I said, it's in one of the not so friendly parts of Detroit so not somewhere I want to hang o_O

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are all octal tubes as far as I can tell. 6S_7s???? That speaker has a large Alnico magnet. I would have had a friend help mme get the whole affair if I had something to haul it in. Due to those octals, I am going to think that this organ is at least as old as 65 years...built circa 1956....or 10 years older from circa 1946. Magnavox came out of Peter Jensen’s original company. I am going to think that there are no Bumblebee or any other molded type of caps there but rather they are all paper in oil. Nice find. This is when you need at least a small emissions tube tester too at least cull out any shorted tubes.

Mowgli, Obelisk and Neener like this.
  15. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Yes it's a heavy sum-b...

16. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

That amp in the bottom can be converted to either a stand alone audio amp or a guitar amp. Even with no renovations completed they go for up to 150. The tubes value will really depend on condition. A matched pair of 6sn7 go for about 50. Power tubes depend on what they are. I am always looking for 300b tubes which can go for 1500ea.

17. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Value of the tubes? Even if they were 12ax7s, they were old not NOS. Not even ANOS. They were OP....old pulls.

No value. But might be useful.

JRapp likes this.
  18. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would do 4 for $20 on those 6SN7s untested. $5 per tube. It’s a gamble for the buyer but a cheap one.

19. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

The ones that came out of that bottom chassis look like 6v6s to me.

I would pull that whole chassis and re-purpose it for a guitar amp.

20. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I might got back tomorrow with some vice grips see if I can get the chassis out. I do hate leaving it out there to rot. You guys got me feelin guilty lol

If it didn’t weigh a ton I’d just grab a truck and load the whole dam thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.