Salute to home Grown Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dmarcus30, Sep 14, 2011.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I grew up on a Tele but always wanted to try a Strat. My first was a Hendrix Voodoo Strat and I eventually had 3 of them. Then I got a John Cruz 54 Anniversary which had incredible tone but was hard to play with BIG neck and tiny frets. I moved on to Eric Johnson models which I liked except the pickups were too dark. I sold them all and put my experience and preferences into this baby...

2 pound 13 oz one piece Musikraft swamp ash body, finished in sunburst nitro lacquer. The first Strats were made of ash and Leo Fender went to alder a few years later but I think ash has a much more open and focused tone than alder.

Reverse (lefty) vintage maple Musikraft Strat neck with medium jumbo frets and a bone nut with a light satin nitro finish and rolled fretboard edge

Locking, staggered height tuners to eliminate tuning drift and trem problems (no string tree needed)

A set of master wound Fender Strat pickups from a guitar built by the late great master bulider, John English

Premium pots, switches, input jack, oil-in-paper capacitor,etc

Callaham deluxe trem block bridge,plate, and saddles (the best!)

One ply parchment color pickguard and matching knobs and switch tip

The whole thing weighs less than 7 pounds and rings like a bell.

Assembly by Steve Crisp

Attached Files:

2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Very nice guitar... some might not like the bright white neck, but I do. I'm not sure why, but new looking maple necks look awesome to me.

3. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

You might like this then!

Attached Files:

4. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I DO!

5. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

This pic was taken when it was a week old. I gave it a lot of sun exposure and the neck is not so bright now and the nitro cured faster on the body...

6. Tony Reid

Tony Reid Tele-Meister

Congratulations!!
    It is truly a great thing when everything falls into place and you end up building yourself a dream guitar that is way better than anything the Fender custom shop could provide. You will have many happy hours of inspired playing, with that extra satisfaction that comes from making/assembling the instrument from parts that you chose yourself. :cool:

7. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Too true, Tony! I also did an "Esquire" build the same way, patiently acquiring top shelf parts on Ebay after doing tons of research. It's a killer! My next one will probably be a hard-tail Strat for slide...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.