Salmon...is it "the best food?"

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
No mention of tinned salmon? :p Memories of my childhood is that stuff, mother loved it and I grew to detest it, I don't mind tuna though as a tinned fish, my favourite fish is battered cod or haddock from a fish and chip shop but there's lots of carbs in fish and chips so a very rare dish for me.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I like salmon a lot. But we eat too much of it.
-Patties.... not too much. They are made out of the lower class salmon like Dog Salmon , Chum Salmon or Humpies. You can kinda taste it in them.... most any canned salmon is from these 'bottom feeders' too...
-King/Chinook is the Crem De La Crem of salmon to me. Oily. Copper River King or some of the other lesser known variants are just amazing. Copper River is just arriving now and VERY expensive. (the news the other night said the first few $1000 a fish) There used to be an amazing White King coming out of Rogue River, but I haven't seen it in years now, may be extinct.
-Sockeye would be next best after King.
-Silver/Coho for the fish squeamish as it's firm and not oily and just good basic salmon.

Steelhead is King Salmon's equal in taste!

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I've been eating Salmon fresh caught up in Alaska by myself or my father in law for the past 15 years. I like salmon, a lot, but I do get tired of it. I've prepared it every way possible, especially since I have 100 pounds to get through every year until the next trip. My favorite method is grilling it or put in a fry skillet. With that method, I remove the scales and eat with the skin on. It's the best way to eat it I think.

We also catch halibut up there which I prefer more than the salmon. The only problem is the old guys hate catching halibut but then everyone lines up to get filets.

My favorite fish is fresh walleye & perch=#1, snapper, halibut, tuna, swordfish, trout, salmon, crappie. In that order.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I have fond memories of bringing home coolers of Lake Michigan salmon and trout filets and having late-night salmon bakes after chartered fishing trips with my extended family. Pretty much the only freshwater game fish that I kill, since you can't really catch and release trolling in deep water. Simple preparation is best--a little butter or margarine, salt and pepper, garlic, parsley (though battered and fried is also surprisingly good; tried that a couple of times.to good result). Boiled potatoes on the side. Good eats.

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
Depends..
I worked with Salmon, in factories. Im from Norway.. I know plenty.
My brother has been a "feeder" at fish farms for years.
Farmed Salmon is not to my liking, Fat and saturated with a light orange meat indicates so. Its fed with pellets that are hormone and steroid induced for faster growth and faster profit. This is the fish you find everywhere in the stores and exported.
Salmon that has grown naturally in rivers. Now THAT is great food. Their meat is more reddish than orange. Its basically night and day to me.

Yeah, farmed fish is...
Luckily, we get a lot of wild caught around here. Someday, I'd like to try the lox as you all prepare it in Norway...

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
It's good.
Nor the best though.
THIS is the best food.

IMG_20220327_152456.jpg

Followed by THIS

IMG_20220419_165927.jpg

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but if you have a really hot pizza oven, like one of the Ooni / Uuni ones, you can sort of flash cook a bigger cut in a cast iron pan for, say, 30 - 45 seconds or so and it's ace.

Pax/
Dean

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I don't trust salmon, so I don't eat it. I've had excellent smoked and grilled salmon, but just as many not liked that I don't waste a meal on it anymore. My GF thinks it's the oily ones I can't stand and she may be right, but there are too many fish dishes I do like that I'm not taking the chance.

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Depends..
I worked with Salmon, in factories. Im from Norway.. I know plenty.
My brother has been a "feeder" at fish farms for years.
Farmed Salmon is not to my liking, Fat and saturated with a light orange meat indicates so. Its fed with pellets that are hormone and steroid induced for faster growth and faster profit. This is the fish you find everywhere in the stores and exported.
Salmon that has grown naturally in rivers. Now THAT is great food. Their meat is more reddish than orange. Its basically night and day to me.
I love it. Just like you said, there’s no comparison between wild caught and farmed. Luckily, I live in and area where it’s easy to find wild caught fish of all kinds. As an aside comment, I’m also a big fan of bacalhau, which is the Portuguese for salt cod. Being Azorean by birth, it’s a big part of our diet. Without a doubt, the Norwegian bacalhau is the best in the world! There is no second place- everyone else is tied for last. You guys do it right!