Salmon...is it "the best food?"

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

iu

LightningPhil

Tele-Holic
Favourite way to cook it is in the smoker with Alder. Nom. Ideally wild and fresh.

But the best food? Probably not, can't have a single best food. Certainly on my list of good foods. Or would be if I had a list. Other things include:
Nuts
Bolts
Oil
Beer

Nobody said "prove you're not a robot" in this thread ;)

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Bacon-wrapped salmon = food of the gods.

My mother tried to foist salmon patties on us when I was a kid. Nasty ground up, steamed fish with bits of bone. Dad liked the crunch...it made me gag. Miz Diane's mom used to make them Salmon loaf...I feigned sickness anytime I got invited over for that.

I love it smoked and/or grilled. We often have it on the little George Foreman electric grill...but it has gotten expensive, and the local shops don't seem to get very good salmon.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I am one fish murdering SOB... I have caught and eaten very many salmon.. lots. lots and lots... family tradition for well over 50 years. we smoke, freeze, pickle, and can salmon every year. freezing is the most fickle... there are ways but there are limits

favorite recipe is actually the old Juneau halibut recipe. 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, mix in huge amounts of dill, a chop of onion, and a grind of pepper. you can use green onion too . you can also add chive. totally coat the fish and bake at 450 until the top turns brown. its done when the meat slides off the skin and the skin sticks to the pan (foil covered baking sheet)

king is the best (Chinook), and the tail is the best of the best

That‘s uncanny that you have a recipe so much like what we call John’s Pass (the sour cream/mayo thing). I’ve been cooking snook and other meaty fish that way since 1975.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Not for me. I find it's taste is too overbearing for some meals. I'm astounded at the number of chefs/foodies who are constantly presenting salmon done this way and that way on their Instagram accounts. Jerk salmon? No thanks. It's like it's some kind of wonder fish.

I much prefer wild stripped sea bass, black bass, black cod, sheep head (black porgy) snapper or grouper. That being said, I do smoke wild caught sockeye salmon, or cedar plank them on the BBQ from time to time. Emphasis on the "wild caught".

Most of the salmon that is commercially bought in your average grocery store should be approached with caution. Aqua farming is not the great thing that it is often purported to be. A few years ago I was introduced to the documentary "The Salmon Wars", which looks at the aqua culture industry in the Maritime provinces in Canada. It radically affected what salmon I buy (what kinds), and buying farmed fish in general. Currently, I don't buy any farmed fish. It's regarded as a zero sum game by marine biologists.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Re farmed salmon, the farms also contaminate the local seabeds which has an effect on pretty much every other inhabitant of the sea in the area. Hundreds of tons of dead salmon from the farms are dumped in the sea in some cases. Infested salmon escape from the farms and in some cases swim hundreds of miles and pass the infestation of lice etc onto wild salmon.

I go to my cities fish market a few times a year to buy fresh fish for family members who can actually taste the difference between fresh and frozen packaged supermarket dross. Last purchase was a couple of large fillets of monkfish, not cheap but went down well by all accounts.

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Only once I’ve had salmon I truly enjoyed. One razor-thin slice atop an egg with asparagus and hollandaise…in Vancouver BC.

Aside from that…salmon is a no-go for me. Much prefer trout, white-fleshed freshwater fish or saltwater fish/shellfish.

I’ll get behind the bacon votes above.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Best?...not sure but very healthy. I like it brined and pan-seared with a touch of S&P. Simple and delicious.:)

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Salmon ranges from wonderful to pretty gross depending on how it's been handled up to the point of sale. The partial freezing and thawing that often happens in shipment and handling (even for stuff listed as "fresh") makes cells explode -- because water expands when it freezes -- which then allws for that scuzzy "fishy" (spoiling fish) smell that naturally repels us. It also causes the slimy, mushy texture that also repels us. I find that any properly handled salmon is excellent -- wild, farmed...don't care -- and that the other stuff, which is most of what you find in stores, is better than most fish, but really kind of lousy at best. Like "fresh" chicken, "fresh" fish is allowed to basically be chilled below the freezing point (in other words, frozen) and subjected to temperature swings back and forth. It's like using hot and cold to relic a guitar finish -- but with food. Suppliers are wrecking your food in favor of their profits. Salmon stands up top this a little better than most fish. Try some supermarket cod sometime. It's like buying a sponge saturated with tepid dishwater (water which thereby ends up being sold to you at the per-pound price of fresh fish).

NHFlyCaster

Tele-Meister
Salmon is good, but we got some Arctic Char at a fish market close to the ocean in NH that blew away any Salmon I've ever had. The filets were big, Salmon sized, and had a sweetness that was just great. It would be awesome to fish for some in Canada - it's on my bucket list.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Salmon is not fish. It is a cow. If you want good salmon do not go to a fish restaurant, go to a steak restaurant. The patties at home scarred me as a child. Not the same animal

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
A co-worker of mine said that salmon is "the best food." Is it? I've like salmon patties but not baked very much!
My family and I eat it a lot. It's high in Omegas which are good for you, etc. Is it the "best" food?? Health-wise, it's definitely one of the best ones you can eat for your diet but, I don't know if it's THE best when compared to all the other superfoods that are out there. How it tastes of course is completely subjective.

We like it enough to eat it at least once a week and sometimes more. Trader Joes has good salmon burgers and if you are a Costco member, you can get a big fillet of salmon for a lot less than what it would cost in the grocery store.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I like salmon and generally do a marinade with a variety of things (brown sugar, etc.) before grilling.

My favorite fish are lake trout and specks (brook trout) that I supervised its journey from water to table.