Salmon...is it "the best food?"

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I eat a lot of salmon. I get big filets at Costco, and bake it in winter and grill it other seasons. The wild coho is best, but often not available, so I make due with the farmed Atlantic salmon, which still tastes pretty good to me. I grill up a mess of veggies too. The Costco filets are very large, and I eat salmon for days. Yum.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I love the wild version, preferably one I've caught myself and lightly fried or grilled with salt and pepper. A close second to wild brown trout.

Can't stand the farmed Franken-Salmon (Salmo Maryius Shelleyius) that they sell in the supermarkets here, I prefer the tinned red salmon from the US/Canada over the farmed stuff.

kuch

Tele-Meister
A co-worker of mine said that salmon is "the best food." Is it? I've like salmon patties but not baked very much!
Up here in the Pacific NW we get a lot of fresh salmon. If you get a chance to try King salmon or Copper river salmon, do it. Copper river is the best but pretty spendy these days. I like it best grilled lightly salted and pepper. Good stuff. And good for you too

Reactions: BB

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
On an old deceased forum the was a guy from the wilds of Alaska and one of the many cool things he showed was a boat with a salmon wheel. If you can imagine a river boat with the wheel on the back you can imagine his salmon wheel. s it turned it flipped the salmon from the river into the boat. I was and still am envious.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Fresh....pretty close. Frozen....garbage.

Unless you live close to the source all your getting is frozen with color added! Just because they thawed it out before they put it in the case doesn't mean it's "fresh".

Next too pulled out of the water fresh frozen is a good choice. I worked the fishing industry back in the 1980s and we'd blast freeze fresh caught salmon within hours. It was on ice before it got to us too. Processing boat in the Bering Sea.

It was actually pretty crazy..like a city out there dozens if not hundreds of processing boats and trampers from Japan. Hundreds of fishing skiffs, 3 man crews, they'd fill up at least once a day and we'd buy from them, freeze and sell to the Japanese. I think back then we paid $5000 for a full load. Cap't got $3K, crew got $1K each. But they could do that twice a day for over a month! All cash!

Old timers on our boat could spot a female with eggs and they'd hold up a bag full when we pulled up the trampers. They'd trade maybe 2 lbs of salmon eggs for cases of whiskey and cartons cigarettes!

Our boat was an old WW2 flat bottom Liberty Ship. Crew was as salty as you can imagine! I still remember those guy and some of their stories. No I can't share here...I don't want a 2 week vacation!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I am one fish murdering SOB... I have caught and eaten very many salmon.. lots. lots and lots... family tradition for well over 50 years. we smoke, freeze, pickle, and can salmon every year. freezing is the most fickle... there are ways but there are limits

favorite recipe is actually the old Juneau halibut recipe. 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, mix in huge amounts of dill, a chop of onion, and a grind of pepper. you can use green onion too . you can also add chive. totally coat the fish and bake at 450 until the top turns brown. its done when the meat slides off the skin and the skin sticks to the pan (foil covered baking sheet)

king is the best (Chinook), and the tail is the best of the best

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I love it...grilled, broiled, baked, fried, and SMOKED . 2014 thru 2019 I made many trips up to Anchorage, AK culminating in spending the entire 2019 Summer in an apartment right across the street from the take-off area of Lake Hood Seaplane Base (aka Lake Spenard). I wallowed in Salmon and Halibut each trip, and spent a lot of bucks at Taco King as well.
Don't stop there, describing the many ways to enjoy salmon - Think Forrest Gump waxing rhapsodic about shrimp . . . ;)

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Many years ago I got invited on a fly-in trip to King Salmon, Alaska and got treated to the best fish I had ever eaten. We had relatives who lived in the NW and would repeat those kind of expeditions and ship us frozen slabs every once in a while. In those days it was heaven on earth for us lower 48ers. Those days are long gone, though.

And now that all imported seafood has to be frozen to be brought into the US, there is nothing better than the non-farm-raised Scottish salmon a really good sushi bar can procure.

I have a small army of doctors and they agree my frequently seafood-heavy diet may be part of the reason I've gotten through what I've been through in the last ten years.

And as far as taste goes, I truly understand how Grizzly bears get fat.

Recipe suggestion: Trim off the thinnest portions of the belly that would get overcooked on a grill or in a pan and lay them skin-side up on layers of very thin sliced white onions and lemons, douse them in ponzu sauce then broil in the toaster oven to the crispy state. Chop/break them into strips and serve with the onions and lemons over sticky rice. 😋

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My woman loves the stuff, so I have to cook it and like it. It's okay. I'd much rather go down the street to Mineral Springs Seafood and get some locally caught snapper, or even some mullet for that matter.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I love wild salmon. I avoid farm raised.

I usually cook it on a plank on the grill. Cedar or alder. No muss, no fuss. Just toss the plank in the garbage when finished.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
Imho AK White Salmon tail is the best, if you ever get an opportunity...do it. White is different than the red king/chinook, with pesto from the garden and lump charcoal grilled.
DSCF9609.JPG

DSCF9610.JPG

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
@fleezinator - your getting " the good oil" so to speak. We live is Tuna waters here and you cook fish quickly and skin down first. My nephew, an International Competition Fisherman cooks wonderful tuna steaks ,and squid for a max of 11 seconds.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't eat red meat but i do eat pultry and fish 3-4 times a week. Ever now and then a vegetarian only day.
Still putting on the weight. Arh! Why does Miller Chill have so many carbs?