Salmon...is it "the best food?"

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
A co-worker of mine said that salmon is "the best food." Is it? I've like salmon patties but not baked very much!
I love it...grilled, broiled, baked, fried, and SMOKED . 2014 thru 2019 I made many trips up to Anchorage, AK culminating in spending the entire 2019 Summer in an apartment right across the street from the take-off area of Lake Hood Seaplane Base (aka Lake Spenard). I wallowed in Salmon and Halibut each trip, and spent a lot of bucks at Taco King as well.

Last edited:

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I believe a fresh salmon filet may be a contender for my favorite simple protein.

And for me, it needs little to nothing added.
while I have enjoyed many a fancy dish, just a piece of foil and a toaster oven and I am pleased as punch. Maybe a hint of salt, mostly because is just seems wrong not to pretend I am adding something to the perfect dish. :cool:

BTW, I'll have two please.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
I eat it. Pink Alaskan (wild caught) Full of good nutrients.

Eggs are on the list of "best foods", as is quinoa.

Dark chocolate rocks too(80% plus cocoa versions)

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I love salmon. A nicely prepared salmon sashimi is a delicate, yet satisfying way to enjoy both the texture and flavor of the fish. A salmon en croute with an asparagus and white wine sauce gives a nice lightness to a substantial meal (like “beef wellington lite”): we probably eat it most at its simplest; oven roasted with pepper and salt to a nice soft cotton candy pink, over a bed of lentils cooked in a touch of white wine vinegar, a squeeze of lemon and a side of broccoli. Lovely: all favorites in our house. Heck we even feed our dog salmon - he loves it when we have off cuts from a side or whole fish (And great for his coat…)

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
Depends..
I worked with Salmon, in factories. Im from Norway.. I know plenty.
My brother has been a "feeder" at fish farms for years.
Farmed Salmon is not to my liking, Fat and saturated with a light orange meat indicates so. Its fed with pellets that are hormone and steroid induced for faster growth and faster profit. This is the fish you find everywhere in the stores and exported.
Salmon that has grown naturally in rivers. Now THAT is great food. Their meat is more reddish than orange. Its basically night and day to me.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
We eat salmon almost twice a week. This was Friday night's dinner....It's been a bit warm out. So salads rule right now.

Attachments

• 20220520_170143[1].jpg
    20220520_170143[1].jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 16

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
it's pretty up on the list for us. Grilled or air fried over a bed of greens with some balsamic vinegar and a glass of white please. My wife doesn't like the skin so it's extra omega3 for me

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
While very high on the great fish list and I love salmon I can’t say it’s the “best”.
I love to smoke salmon and bake salmon.
When my sister lived outside of Seattle she would send us salmon from Pike Market 2-3 times a year. If flash frozen and kept from getting freezer burn a salmon can kept for 6-9 weeks. Of course smoking salmon doesn’t need to have the freshest fish but it can’t be in the freezer too long