SAGA Tele Style Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 17, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Anyone own a Saga tele style electric mandolin? I was looking around and saw this kit. Seemed on the easier side of building but I was curious about it. I play a bit of mandolin and I own a tratitional 8 string. This Saga is 4 strings. Not sure how much of a difference that makes in tone, though I do understand the concept of the 8 vs 4 strings. It seems to use guitar strings.

If you do own one, how hard was it to build? Are Saga kits, generally, simple? Is it a decent mandolin worth playing?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but mandolins don't really fit into any other category.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Looks pretty cool. There have been a few threads here on building their guitars. Most seem to think they're easy, and a good way to get your feet wet.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I built a Saga Tele kit.

The guitar was "ok"

The learning experience was priceless.

The learning experience is worth the price of the kit.

The assembly was not hard. All the wet sanding and waiting takes patience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you build a Mando please post some photos...I would love to see the naked parts and some step by step progress. I've looked at those kits....they look very interesting.

4. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Cool, thanks for the feedback. How much drilling was involved? I don't really have a "workshop" so I'd have to figure some things out. For example, reshaping the headstock.

Wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.