1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

No I'm not serious. I'm actually pointing out the foolishness of trying to "win" in traffic. Your post underscores my point. But now you have made this a serious and somewhat sad topic with your post. I am sorry for your loss.

PacificChris and Tommy Biggs like this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm sorry for your terrible loss. Both my sister in law and my father in law were killed by separate drunk drivers a year and a half apart. My mother in law was also in the car with my fil at the time and spent close to a month recuperating in a hospital bed. Losing a loved one is hard enough, but for them to be taken in such a violent way really places an extra burden on the lives of those who left to survive.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I didn't write that clearly enough. Here's the scenario: 11 PM, many miles driven, on a 2 lane that bypasses Ocala on the NE side. The local unmarked car pulls out and follows you at five feet from behind you and you can pull over and discover the tailgater is a bloodthristy armed robber or you can keep going, at first the 30 MPH limit and then 32 and then 34 and then 36 and when the unprincipled cop has pushed you up to 40 MPH, he deploys the hidden lights and pulls you over. He's not literally making contact with the car but most experts agree it is assuming too much risk to let anyone follow you that close - you have an obligation to avoid a potential collision and if you lock your cruise on 30 MPH you're not doing everything you can. But this is the pretext for the cop to pull you over. This was maybe 18 months post Katrina and a lot of law enforcement in adjacent areas were suspicious of LA plates, dislocated people out of luck or something. In some fairness, a huge number of Cockroaches were flushed out of NOLA when the city was almost entirely cleared, and they did bring their troubles with them in many cases.

Am I a little uncomfortable being approached at night in unlit areas, after my business partner was murdered offering assistance to robbers faking a car breakdown? Is this why I didn't just pull over out of the way at once? Yeah, but I am not asking people to give more weight to my opinions about such things on account of Steve's murder. And as terrible and regrettable as it is for one of us to lose someone close to us in something like this, that doesn't mean that victim's advice or perspective is automatically worth more than that of anyone else. I made the wrong decision, not the right one because of the way I sometimes think since Steve had his head blown off.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh I got it alright. Again, I've never heard of any cops around here doing that. That's dirty pool. Like I said, the cops around here are busy enough with actual dbags not to have to entice them. Lol

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody's doing hardly anything to stop the insanity on the interstates. It's a free for all. Limited resources, most drivers out there are aggressive, more of them too now. I'm surprised more people aren't killed every day.

6. boris bubbanov

I'm kind of surprised the numbers of collisions are not greater but when there is a collision, the chance of a fatality does appear greater than 6 years ago. We're truly running at amazingly high rates of speed and honestly, a lot of people are awake again and paying stricter attention than they did with the cruise set on 72. The stakes are much higher and at least some drivers respect this is not a ride through the woods to Grandma's anymore. I think the number of crashes and deaths is less (smaller increase than I expected) because people did finally replace that awful old rattle trap and now they have a new truck or car with good brakes and nice tires. I've been walking around the vehicles of my friends and family and people have upgraded their rides for sure, or most have in some way. New cars/trucks, better tires, better lights.

I've actually seen a lot of very FAST driving but actually less aggression per se because at some point, Pawpaw decides to get that Buick or Nissan out of the passing lane. IMO much less of this passive aggressive stuff we associate with Prius drivers. There's simply too few spoilsports and too many people just concentrating on hauling butt and not hitting anything and allowing more distance, etc. The number of drivers is up but when Aunt Mabel can get where she's going in 25 minutes, she's off that Interstate (or US 72, stuff like that) 10 minutes sooner and there's more road per driver for those who ain't at their destination yet.

I drove E-W through Nashville on I-40/I-440 and never dipped below 45 miles an hour the other day. I'm accustomed to losing at least a half hour.

The only thing I saw remotely suicidal was those motorcycles cutting between lanes of creeping traffic on 101 and 134 around Los Angeles, going 40. But they've always done that and maybe they always will. I'm used to seeing Highway Aggression and when it is absent, I take notice.

7. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing, 9 pages and not one tailgater has chimed in. If they did, I missed it.

I have a friend that tailgates, aggressive driver, always speeding, has been ticketed for road rage, and had to take some anger management classes. The last time I rode in the car with him, he mutters, "I wish this jerk would speed up and get out of my way". I said, he probably would speed up, but there's five cars in front of him. Oh yeah, then he missed the next exit.

I don't think I'll ride in the car with him again. Life's too short to die in a car wreck.

8. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I worked with a guy, we commuted together to various locations as part of the job. He said he should never have to use his breaks. He would get irate anytime he flew up behind somebody and he had to slow down. He would tailgate, weave, and in passing would scream at them, gesture, encroach in their lanes, etc. He should never be permitted to drive, ever. Now I drive an hour each way to work. I run across maniacs every single day pulling the same kind of nonsense. I get frustrated as they never seem to get pulled over.

RoyBGood likes this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is odd. I've noticed the same absence of offender input when discussing highway texting and cell phone talking while driving, leaving shopping carts rolling rogue in the lot and wearing clothes that fit way too tight...

They just simply DO NOT play Telecasters!...:)

RoyBGood and flathd like this.
  10. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

You might be onto something, WT. That tailgater buddy of mine has never played a Tele in his life! ;)

william tele likes this.
  11. 1955

Speed limits higher, longer and more commutes, more drivers and congestion, less, almost non-existent authority, widespread social acceptance of speeding and risky behavior, hand-held electronic devices, inadequate training, plus pandemic selfishness and impatience = what we have now, accidents waiting to happen the minute you get into your vehicle.

Oh, and don't forget the roughly 16 million people in the U.S. alone with "Intermittent explosive disorder," which is psychobabble terminology for hineyhole, and yes, they are driving every day right next to you, ahead of you, and behind you. Awww, baby didn't get his way, tantrum-time!

Fiberglass coffins, the motor-scooters I call "organ donors."

I see younger males in black Honda sedans a lot these days doing a lot of aggressive driving. Some of the worst tailgaters though are the mid 30's to 50's coal-rollers and F trucks, esp. with stickers on the back. i saw the funniest dang bumper sticker the other day. It said (in small letters:) "Nice truck. Sorry about your tiny..." Hahahahaha.

There's the BMW guys, no need to even elaborate. Not all are aggressive, though.

In the city, the SUV ladies can be vehicular bullies.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

There are around 31,000 fatal crashes a year in the U.S. Despite airbags and other new technologies the number has actually recently ticked higher recently-- probably due to more distracted driving (smart phones!).

Over the holidays I drove my family about 900 miles total round trip distance from Santa Barbara up to the S.F. Bay Area to spend time with family, then over to the Sierras east of Fresno to ski. Since we were headed up to the snow and had a lot of presents and luggage with us, we took our big AWD SUV, which we have so we can pull our boat to the boat ramp. Usually we try to drive our smaller cars, such as our Chevy Volt.

I used to drive big trucks and school buses. A big SUV (a Lexus in this case) needs a lot more stopping distance and also is much less maneuverable. You try and make a really fast lane change at 80 mph and you might just roll the thing. So I drive it like a big truck-- at least 3 seconds between me and the car in front of me. I was on 101, 580, 99, 126, for those that know the highways around here. If someone pulls into the gap, I just back off another car length. No big deal.

I am very aware of the average speed of traffic and generally try to go about that speed or a littler faster, sticking to the far left or middle lanes. If I see someone zooming up behind me I move over as soon as I can, often before they even reach me. It amazes me how often drivers are going really fast, get around me, and continue pedal to the metal until they have to hit their brakes hard when they are on the rear bumper of the traffic in front of them. Traffic that can't go anywhere because there's a scrum of cars in front of them in all lanes. They speed up and then have to hit their brakes, but at the end of the day they are not going to go any faster than the average speed of the traffic. They just make it dangerous for everyone, to no avail. And put a lot of wear and tear on their brakes.

This type of driving also creates an accordion effect so that all of the traffic is unnecessarily speeding up and slowing down in a chain reaction to the abrupt moves of a minority of the drivers. If everyone drove smoothly and kept to 3 seconds then all of the traffic could actually flow much smoother and faster. Once we have computer-controlled driving, at least on freeways, much of this will go away, someday, hopefully in my lifetime.

My goal is to see far enough ahead and behind me that I can pretty much see what is happening and so no abrupt braking, acceleration, or lane changes are required. Smooth driving is safe driving, in my opinion. In general I don't seem to have any big issues, even in notorious places like NY, LA, Boston. Sometimes I would drive a big U-Haul or Ryder truck into tight city conditions because I was helping a friend's band get to a big gig in the big city. You just gotta take it easy, breathe, be patient. If you have the mindset of a long haul truck driver, where you've seen everything, where you can pretty much see the movie play out even before it happens, and where your goal is to get your load safely to its destination without killing anyone, realizing you are in a machine that can easily kill a bunch of people, then things are OK. Just work on your Zen.

Part of seeing and predicting what is happening is a bit of stereotyping. When I see tarted up Civics with bigger exhausts and spoilers, etc., I know the that driver is gonna be a little Fast And Furious wannabe, and so I already know how he's going to be driving from the get go. Conversely, if I see a big Volvo wagon with an older driver behind the wheel I kind of have a pretty good sense as to how they're going to be driving. I'm always ready to be surprised, though.

I wish that highway patrol everywhere would really focus on aggressive drivers and distracted drivers. The lives of my family are at stake and all it takes is one idiot making a stupid move and boom a bunch of people die. I heartily wish that drivers understood the physics of driving better. For example, guys driving fast, following too closely, in big, lifted, heavy pickup trucks on wet roads are a bad accident waiting to happen.

RoyBGood likes this.
  13. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

If I am in the left lane, I will move over when possible. After all, I was already speeding I'm sure....so if someone wants to go faster, I'm not about to stop them....I'm not a cop. If I'm in the middle or right lane, I ignore them.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. 1955

Since the overtaking lane (left in the U.S.) is jammed with drivers that won't yield to faster traffic behind them, faster traffic congests the middle and right lane with everyone late to their lives whipping in and out. Brake-lights and no smiles for domino days.

Then you have the death-wish thrill boys coming up on you at 120mph that don't have the experience or predictive ability to judge the potential behavior in front, so they make their video game whip-around and distracted dumbo ahead doesn't see them in time, changes lanes without a signal, hello fatality.

The low-riding Civic-thingie drivers, other than looking and sounding ridiculous, are literally asking to die they way they drive.

Thank you, absentee parents!

And also, ladies and gentleman, I present to you, the impossibly obnoxious New Jersey SUV, happy times.

Don't get me started on Maryland sedans haha

Southern California is pretty nasty across the board.

15. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Ignore them and drive normal until they impatiently pass you.
    Drive carefully to avoid their wreck with another car, bicyclist, speeding border patrol vehicle, cow, etc.
    Call 911 to comply with law after they crash.

FWIW in the recent past on the 2 lane road with switchbacks into our valley we have had fatalities/totals from Viper meeting mesquite. Car meeting cow, motorcycle meeting cow, Delivery truck meeting cow.

16. boris bubbanov

There are people who are obviously driving to get their dose of adrenaline.

I was on CA-25 headed South out of Hollister (San Benito County) and a couple of boy racers came by me and went on up the twisting road, way in excess of 100 mph. At dusk, with wildlife moving around - looking for water before bedding down. They may as well IMO find someplace remote like CA 25 to do this on and leave CA 99 and I-5 for the heavy volumes. CA 25 at 75 mph average is more than exciting enough for me.

This may actually be the Golden Age, right now. I think the price of pump gas will be up over $ 3.00 pretty soon and at least some people will be satiated in terms of all the car travel they've been packing in before the lights go out. People will slow down and take their misery out on the poor sucker behind them, kinda like they used to when the Limit was 55.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see those drivers all the time. It's like they want to force or *will* those three dozen cars ahead of them in the left lane out of their way because they are more important than them.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

When I was in college I had a female friend from NJ who was constantly getting in accidents, had points on her license, speeding tickets, etc. She was convinced that everyone else out there was a terrible driver. I asked her, "Sue, what is the common denominator in every single accident you've been in? You, that's who." I think it took several more totaled cars, sky high insurance rates, etc., before she finally slowed down a bit. For a very smart, rational, nice person in every other way, she sure was one a-hole of a driver. My wife has a bit of a lead foot as well and is incapable of ignoring her phone. For this reason I try to do most of the driving when we are going anywhere as a family. You can't tell her anything so she's going to learn the hard way, and I'm hoping neither me nor my kid are in the car when it happens. Most bad drivers are really quite ignorant of how bad they are, IMO.

19. boris bubbanov

Going 67 in the 65 zone is not speeding. Waiting until you have slowly overtaken 6 cars in 4 miles is not "when possible".

I'm suspicious you're one of those persons Chris was talking about, reading between the lines. With kindest regards, you just don't see what we see.

Insofar as cops are concerned, when someone closes on my bumper, I assume they're a cop, even if they pass me and it is a 78 year old lady. I bust a move to get out of their way. Impeding the progress of other vehicles is really no different than playing off tempo on the bandstand. There's no law against it, but.....

+

I'm consistently driving on roads in many states and when you get to the roads with more than one lane in either direction (even just in zones) the prevailing speed is getting to the point where it is on average 20 mph over the posted limit. I mean, a section of US 72 in Northern AL posted at 60 mph and the average vehicle is going 80+. I'm maybe above average in speed but not even remotely the fastest guy out there. I suggest that it is not relevant at this time (in a pragmatic sense) whether you exceed that posted limit since 99% of the motorists are doing so. The purpose at this stage of these posted limits is to provide some general overview to the driver, not to be slavishly adhered to. And if there is a wreck, anyone not in compliance with the posted limit cannot blame the Highway Authority because those guys did not engineer that road for 80 mph and the blame will be assigned to the motorists then, instead.

The idea that someone can just vegetate in the middle lane is simply not going to impress judges and juries if you get into a crash. They're going to put the hat on you.

20. 1955

The way I see it, if I am going to go the speed limit, I stick to the far right (slow) lane and make sure I have an opening to allow any vehicles to merge onto the highway, either by adjusting speed or moving into the middle.

Almost everybody is flying way over the limit, so you are just asking for it (tailgating) to go the speed limit in the middle (cruising) or left (passing) lane.

Slower traffic, move right. If a jerky still rides your tail in the far-right and you are already going the limit or slightly above, that's what I'm talking about. At 70mph, you are lucky to not get killed if you have a blowout and wreck, let alone hit another vehicle or get hit.

A big truck blew out right in front of me and a big hunk of his tire hit my windshield. Lucky I am still alive. But I try to account for every possible scenario, so I am allowing room in front and an out to another lane whenever possible.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.