1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I once read some advice that I'm thinking over right now. The guy said:

"When somebody does something that annoys me, I think it's totally ok to respond in a way that puts their life in danger".

Actually, the guy that said this didn't really say it. He said he was going to say it...then changed his mind and decided not to. But he was in a thread that asked what you have started to post and then decided not to... so he actually did say it...kind of.

Anyway, it's solid advice no matter what...

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Do you read this?
    Or just hopefully post this thinking it was a gotcha?
    I am compliant.
    Just like a D.O.T. truck.
    Thank you and drive safe.

3. ebb soul

I don't think washer fluid is either nasty, or, for that matter, a deterrent.
    "0h, he besprinkled me, I must back off now, or else"
    Really?

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Rig up a nozzle to shoot brake fluid from under your back bumper instead. [emoji57][emoji6]

RoyBGood likes this.
  5. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

If I may elaborate on this, 2 of the 3 most recent interactions between my wife and I and the local police have resulted in a ticket. Both times, we were in the wrong (tags that had expired within 2 weeks of our tickets), and the third time was for a minor exhaust leak. There are very well-known street race hotspots around town, and a few other areas rife with traffic accidents, hyper-aggressive driving, and heavy traffic in general that are completely devoid of traffic enforcement...Again, this isn't just me being a whiner, it's something that's been noticed by hundreds of other citizens, and was brought up on local radio, Facebook, and Twitter.

Ticket quotas were ruled unconstitutional in the early 1990s, but police are still expected to show some amount of work when they're on traffic detail, so they need to write some tickets...And there are hundreds and thousands of speeders and tailgaters on the road. Dudes who drive respectfully, but have other violations are less likely to put up a fuss when pulled over, which also keeps the officers safe.

Now, with the amount of people on this site who drive fast sports cars, or pickup trucks, I'd assume there are at least a few who drive aggressively. I'm very curious as to what can be gained by tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding (15 to 35 mph over the limit), or flashing your brights to antagonize the guy in front of you.

6. ebb soul

Paint balls. Filled with paint stripper.

RoyBGood likes this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

or rig up a sulphur dioxide gas canister to leave a passable stench in your wake.... ;)

RoyBGood likes this.
  8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Just watched a couple road rage compilations, such progress we've made in thousands and thousands of years. The motorcycle guys are the worst. Cautionary cam footage, I spurn you for making me see life through these people's eyes, I actually felt even dumber for several minutes afterwards, and now I have a leather glove fetish shame on you gloss helmet

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

When i was younger i took it personal and refused to move these days i move out the way
    who am i to get in the way of someone's reckless madness

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't get it. I've put huge amounts of miles on cars this year and IMO there was less evidence of tailgating than I'd seen in a very long time.

Speed cop enforcement in general on Interstates and big open 4 lanes, down in some places to nonexistent in others. Cheap gas, lots of new cars and trucks with new tires since the economy has been up at least the last 2 years, and thus highway speeds are up substantially. We are collectively going so fast nobody has much need IMO for tailgating.

Maybe I didn't drive in your State this year? Do you live in DE, NJ, PA, MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS, KY, MO, AR, LA, FL, TX, OK, NM, CO, UT, AZ. NV or CA? I've driven there at speed, this year. I know the commuters have to cope with congestion at rush hour but IMO if you get away from that you find the leash is off. And because the leash is off there's no psycho-social reason to get off on tailgating -why not just go faster instead?

So, I'm not there. The evidence is weak. Yesterday's problem until things start going wrong again - could be soon, who knows?

11. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I'm inclined to just advise Mrs. Steerforth to signal and pull over so that they can go on past. I'm not in a hurry, I don't want to compete with anyone about anything, and preserving my serenity is a priority matter in life for me. Eliminate stress and relax. Don't let things bother you, you'll feel better. Your intellect should run the show, not your ego.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hard to tell if you're serious. The guy who killed my son won at the merge. I'll give you his name and address if you want. It's in the police report.

13. ebb soul

I'm gonna cover my bumper in AstroTurf next.
    " get off my lawn "

Old man73 and 1955 like this.
  14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sir, please give the benefit of the doubt that Kel is employing sarcasm...

kelnet likes this.
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a bumper sticker on the way home: "The closer you are the slower I go."

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. ebb soul

I still can't believe someone from New Hampshire is trying to bust my nuts about Georgia driving ordinaces they did not themselves read.
    Unless they have no clue what 'oncoming traffic' means,
    Which makes them far worse than any tailgater.
    Because my vehicle is completely compliant.
    Tailgating deterrents et al.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yikes! As much as driving in MA is like being in a jungle at least the law pretty much leaves us be. You have to be doing way past 80 or screwing up bad before they'll bother pulling you over. Never saw one "pushing" somebody. There's way too many savages committing too many atrocities for them to have make stuff up.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mounting one of these bad boys on the back of your vehicle would surely send an appropriate signal I'd think. Much more effective if able be operated remotely from the drivers seat too. ;)

[​IMG]

Just cycle it up and down a few times......they'll get the message. :lol:

william tele and RoyBGood like this.
  19. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Can you PROVE that I did not read the Georgia Ordinances which I posted? What makes you think I did not read and understand?

I posted this information so that you wouldn't be surprised when caught by law enforcement for using your tactics against other drivers you consider "tailgaters".

I don't care what you do with the information.
    Nothing bad may ever happen as a result of your driving tactics. But I have apparently struck a nerve. Think about that, and do drive safely if you're ever up my way!

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As I posted earlier, I pull over.
    I also forgot to mention that after pulling over, I wait.
    I wait until there is plenty of time to safely get back in traffic.
    I try to never be in a hurry.
    I mostly succeed.
    I remember when I was younger, and far more impatient.
    It never served me well.

8barlouie and RoyBGood like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.