1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Threaten to take away their team jerseys, coolers, lawn chairs, little grills, and foam fingers.

william tele and 1955 like this.
  2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I drive in Massachusetts. I'm not sure I see what the problem is.

1955 likes this.
  3. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

Where there is room I leave them or pull to the slower lane which I prefer at this stage of my life.

1955 likes this.
  4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It's best to pull over and make them fight you like a man. This is especially effective if they are a woman.

1955 likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ever play with a drummer who can't maintain time through a song? Any song?

This is what these drivers are - they have no ability to govern their own speed so they depend on the rest of us to set their pace. But even worse in some cases, they're seriously heavily medicated and we are their guide animals. Or they're Legally Blind and dependent on the others to guide them from A to B. Finally, many are texting their Life's Dissertation while driving. None of these people are useful are fellow drivers - they're all 100% takers.

+

Btw I disagree with your statement that we can simply avoid the other motorists by going much faster. That worked in 1996 when used with a Police Scanner and CB Radio and Dual Radar Detectors but now, you simply can't go fast enough. Now someone always has the balls to follow on your bumper - I've abandoned that approach except I will run fast, and then like you when someone gloms on, I hit the exit ramp, crack open a caffeinated beverage or maybe eat an energy bar or stretch my legs - then I jump back on and the "follower" has to find someone else.

1955 and RoyBGood like this.
  6. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

As long as the tailgater has the option of going around me I just take my foot off the gas and let the car slow down on it's own. In the next 10 to 20 seconds the tailgater will either drop back to a normal distance or pass me. Then I resume a normal speed without being tailgated. If it's an extended no passing situation, I would pull over to let him pass.

1955 likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bob, I like the "half pedal" approach. When you lift entirely, then the follower is offended and he may respond with force. I've had people overtake me, pull in and just about lock their brakes down. And I've had them brandish a pistol at me. Be subtle, is what I recommend.

Remember, they're not being reasonable to begin with in following you in this way. Why would we expect them to be reasonable if we hurt their feelings?

bobspez and 1955 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.