1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Go go gadget oil slick :)

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Reach out of the window and stick your police-style flashing light onto the roof....

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Do the 'Heisenberg' mod to your car, slow right down so they have to pass, then let 'em have it! :lol:

bbfelinagun.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Drone strike!

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

^ Even better!

6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

You mean I shouldn't open the moon roof and flip out a few ball bearings or a zip-lok bag
    full of Vaseline and food coloring?

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

This is known in our circles as 'playing in the pocket'.;)

texastengu and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder whether it's a worldwide phenomenon that has achieved universal "acceptance," like the U.S. Or better said, is it just the U.S. that has a universal "jerk" problem?

At least in my experience tailgating did not seem to be a big problem 20 years ago unless someone was going slower in the left lane, but at least they would yield to the right much sooner.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  9. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

From an outsider's perspective, based on comments above, I'm guessing the wide variety of cruising speeds on US roads could contribute to the problem. Here in Australia, drivers don't routinely exceed the speed limit by more than about 10km/h -- if they did, they would soon lose their licence as speed cameras abound. So on a typical freeway with a 100km/h limit, pretty much everyone is doing 95-105.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hmmmm.
    I got a moon roof.
    Uh, be right back.
    ;):rolleyes:

RoyBGood likes this.
  11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

It's absurdly difficult to lose your license in the States.

bparnell57, goonie and Wallo Tweed like this.
  12. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

Back when I could drive, I'd just pull over and let them pass. MY problem was retards at rush hour. My biggest problem, though, was not having a swivel mounted M2 with me... >;->

bparnell57 and RoyBGood like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

How your passengers accessorize has everything to do with enjoying a good commute.

[​IMG]

14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I don't think that is true. Yes, many are ignorant. But in my experience, many more are being intentionally aggressive, angry and provocative. They're looking to rattle you, to get a reaction. It's bad behavior, dangerously bad behavior. Which certainly works, as I get really torqued off when people endanger me that way. How I handle it now is very different from when I was a NYC cab driver. Back then, I'd push back and mess with anyone who wanted to hurt me. Not my car. Satisfying in a selfish way, but not right either. Lost my taste for that when one such Ahole ended up off the road, smashed into a pole. That made me rethink the whole deal. It's not about skill or getting back at people. The real goal is to survive and not get hurt. So now I just pull over and try to get away from such people.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    goonie, puddin and RoyBGood like this.
  15. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

I think it's just matter time cars will not allow such behavior by design. The future will allow us to travel much faster. also, emergency vehicles will have the right away at greater speeds. I'm hoping.. I don't travel on the interstate unless I have to. People don't care about the risk until it hits them in the face.

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Greenmachine likes this.
  17. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Ok lets all talk about our favorite situation. I generally drive over the speed limit to leave all traffic safely behind me; however even I have my limits. As I am sharing the road with no one its easy to spot a problem coming up from behind. So I stay right; and let the person pass me.

The next thing that happens; that person gets over (in front of me) and slows down well below the speed I was going when overtaken. So now I have to get back into the left lane and overtake this person. Which of course means that they speed up again.

This person is almost always on their phone and paying zero attention to their speed. Psychologically they are going as fast as they need to keep up with traffic and when there is no traffic they slow down with no one to chase.

This is the worst kind of driver and the last person I want to share the road with. Its erratic and it doesn't matter if you speed up or slow down you cannot shake them without a major action.

Even if you slam on the brakes and put a huge amount of distance you are liable to catch back up, and if you speed excessively for several miles they will likely have caught up in a few miles. When really bad I have gotten off the highway and jumped back on to be rid of this type of driver.

HappyHwy1owner, william tele and 1955 like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't want those cameras. They're poorly maintained, and I would suggest a single snapshot doesn't tell the observer what they should know. I'd rather tolerate more speeding - maybe eliminate half the existing cameras we have now in the USA.

What actually wrong is the way any fool or ignoramus can get a license to start with. There's so many individuals with the privilege to drive with little to no actual training and they also have next to no experience around vehicles - to get to know how the machines work as they grow up. There was a time when poor driving habits took you right into the ditch or mailbox but in some respects cars now mostly drive themselves. It is that last 35% that distinguishes the sound drivers from the incompetent ones and I think it makes far more sense to make the approach process tough then to let everyone have at it then start chopping. Most places in the USA when you lose that license, you lose your job, lose your house to the bank, the wife leaves and you don't see your kids anymore. As an attorney I wouldn't handle DWIs but I did a lot of getting people back provisional driving privileges and these were all people who would end up homeless or something if I didn't succeed. Conversely if you get people to learn about vehicles and driving and get them to crave it and respect what it took to get that license, they stay IMO out of trouble much more.

1955 likes this.
  19. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Makes sense
    [​IMG]

1955 likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife has many rellies in Oz. I think it was in Melbourne ... one cousin was driving us on a highway. He knew exactly where he could speed and where he had to slow down to the speed limit and show us the cameras!

goonie, 1955 and bparnell57 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.