1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh TDPRI, I thought you were my safe space!

2. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

This is what I told my kids when they started driving: If you get where you are going without getting in a wreck or a fight, you have won. It is hard sometimes. Get distance between you and the offending person so that you could not engage them if you wanted to. Then time will make you forget about it. Cheaper than courts and lawyers.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I respect what I saw often in PA in years' past. They'd pull over a whole phalanx of 6 high speeders in a tight pack on the Interstate, with 3 or more police cruisers.

My sense is that some people like to "piggyback" off of the pro speeders and they have a guilty conscience about having run over the limit. In a sort of way they give the officer permission to give them a ticket, and will even confess their own speed when the officer didn't get a clear number on their car (but only on the leader of the pack). This is a little like walking in the woods with companions and running into a grizzly - you only have to outrun your companions and some people won't try. And this is why these guys are called "bears" to start with.

But most of all, while some states are still employing officers to get large quotas of speeders via lidar or radar, my observations are that speed copping is way, way down. Think about having to get all the data, then slam the cruiser from Zero to over 110 trying to run down a fellow who is running in traffic with a whole bunch of folks all going 80+. Pretty easy to see this is very difficult and dangerous. This is nothing like catching people going 60 in a 55 zone. I'm used to traveling some of the very same roads, Interstates I ran 25 years and 12 years ago and my sense is the cops are just not out there in great numbers. On top of all of that, this Mandate to build cable retention devices to reduce the numbers of Crossover Deaths means large numbers of places that speed cops used to use to lay in wait in, are ruined for them. Although, check out the way the new cable dividers on I-40 in Oklahoma help create a safe space for the speed cop to hang out in.

Anyone know what the sales volume is in Radar/Laser detectors these days? I bet it is way small, next to the 80s or 90s.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

LIKE :)

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I like to be in a car-free zone on I-30, where I frequently find myself. A good way to achieve this is to drive the speed limit. I am left in a vacuum by the legions who pass me as if I am parked.

RoyBGood likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

The best way to achieve "car free zone" is to practice, practice, practice. I see this so often, where I am 3/4ths miles behind one horde and 3/4ths miles ahead of the next one, and I wished I was doing this when I was 25. People ride as passengers with me and wonder how I achieve this since I am running the same pace as the hordes are and you can't relate years of practice in a paragraph or two. One thing I know is, if the speed limit is 65 and most of the others are going 80, you've got people closing on your bumper while you sit there and pray they don't run you down. IMO that's not a car free zone except for extremely short intervals, like 200 seconds. If you want 12 minutes at a time you need to match pace with the packs in front and behind you once you're "in position". Nothing wrong with falling back into a pocket, but once there you can't just IMO goof around.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree-- sitting in the gaps is a great strategy, and when you get better at it you find yourself spending more time in them.
    I guess the only possible downside is your mileage might go down a little due to lack of any draft.

8. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

For some reason, In L.A., when it rains it's like an invitation to for the tailgaters to come out. Couple that with the the issue that many of these people should have never been issued a drivers license in the first place and it quickly becomes like bumper cars out there. And it's raining today.:(

9. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I slow down.

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Just yesterday I had a red pickup truck on my bumper on a secondary road for about five miles.

Came to a little town.

I pulled over and let him on by.

One of life's easiest decisions.

11. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

I just pull over. Don't wanna deal with them when they're angry.

12. boris bubbanov

Not LA but within a couple hundred miles: CA 58, Tehachapi. Running from Barstow through Mojave and over the top and on into Bakersfield. The mostly CA drivers, with so little wet and slippery practice in the last 5 years, just running NASCAR style through there and even with cars having spun off and against the center wall facing back at you (lights on) and that's not deterring anyone. Faster and faster and faster, down the grade. I'm just trying to stay out of the way but it was hard to go too slow - the other vehicles would've just run you right over. I just tried to hang in there and got a break when a wreck well in front of us forced everyone to a crawl for some miles and I had time to recuperate. I feel like I got some of my own medicine for all the years I was passing people and maintaining a pace they simply could not manage.

I had fresh tires, on a car with fresh suspension components on it, new wiper blades, solid HID lights, a perfectly working defrost system, I was pretty well rested, and had eaten a small healthy meal. What attributes did these people have I didn't have? 5 cans of Red Bull each? I still don't know. 7:00 PM.

Btw, this was in a Sierra Soaker. Not a Southern Thunderstorm but you have your wipers on their fastest setting, until the traffic backed up then you turn it back 1-2 positions.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

LOL. Nah man, it's cuz their brain dead; too stupid to know how stupid they're being.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the more interesting sights I've ever seen was coming upon a Corvette club going down the hill out of Tehachapi, towards Bakersfield after a snow storm, I don't know how the got around the road block they were setting up, they stopped me, but since I was in a pickup, and told 'em I had chains the lest me slip through. Maybe they got through before the rb was being set up. When I came upon the Vettes, they were, scattered everywhere, some were going slowly backwards down the hill, some were spinning their wheels frantically as they went side wise in slow motion. I managed to slip through them and not long after that I got out of the snow and ice around the Arvin turn off.

I spent 13 hours in nearly the same place one time though in my low bed rig. Once they stop the road travel it's stopped.

15. boris bubbanov

TD, that may have been the motivation for some of these folks going so fast. They may have been fearful the road was about to be closed.

I wasn't in the mood to have to go down to CA 138 but under similar circumstances in the future I will.

16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Some of these angry drivers probably need a session wit Curtis E Bear.

[​IMG]

RoyBGood likes this.
  17. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I try to let them pass as soon as it is safe to do to prevent them from going "Ballistic" and making a "dumb-a**" move to get around me that could get someone hurt or killed.

I would advise against engaging, in anyway, a tailgater. In the Katy/Houston area, over past several years, such action has been fatal to someone - no sense taking a chance. If you feel threatened and have a cell phone call 911 or try and find a law enforcement officer or station. Be observant of the other driver (or passengers) for any weapons in hand or on a rack.

If your area has a hot line you can call (like in Houston on the Toll Roads) to report road incidents then call ASAP so there's a change of getting the tailgater off the road (they could be under the influence of alcohol or drugs). I have a dash cam with both forward and read cameras that has GPS which records my location, speed and sound. In playback mode you see a map of the location where the incident occurred, direction traveled, date, time etc. This information can be provided to law enforcement should it become necessary.

1955 likes this.
  18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

People can be real a**holes.

I'm glad I'm not one...:confused:

william tele likes this.
  19. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

20. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

This.

Also, as a bicyclist and motorcyclist, I've learned to swallow my pride, pull over at the first opportunity, and stay far away from aggressive drivers. It doesn't matter who's in the right, inertia always wins.

And if someone is actively trying to endanger me, you can bet that when I pull over I'm immediately placing a 911 call with a plate number and full description. "I think the driver is drunk, officer!" gets an immediate response.

Alex W and RoyBGood like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.