1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup. I confess there are times when I go appreciably faster to get eligible to be in the center and left lanes, and I do this to stay well away from these huge trucks. Many of the trucks are now substituting a "mono" tire on each side of the axle where they were once Duallys, and the carcass of these "mono" tires (alligators) is so huge most cars cannot pass over them when they rain down onto the lane in your path. I've sustained damage now on 3 different cars of ours from tire debris that wasn't there 60 seconds earlier. Losing the whole headlight assembly was shocking enough, I can't imagine what taking one to the windshield must have been like. Just another reason to maintain all kinds of distance from these huge trucks - even when the drivers are well trained and doing their best.

Buddy of mine took a chunk of truck tire to the front of his vehicle and it set off the airbag. The insurance on the car covered it but I understand it was not cheap!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There really is no one right or good way to deal with all tailgaters and situations that arise from their stupidity. You just have to try and make it through going to far off places such as the Taco Bell and hope for the best. I think when we arrive back in our own driveway, it's mostly a matter of luck. I drove professionally for many years, but I'm thankful it wasn't with the current crop of hedgehogs who inhabit the highways and byways

Wallo Tweed and 1955 like this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

On California freeways for the most part the far left lane is the safest. No semis in your lane (usually), you don't have to worry about cars merging on and off, and you have traffic only on one side of you, not both. This means you have to drive as fast as the average speed in the far left lane and be prepared to move to the right for the excessive speeders (even though in a hundred yards or so they will find themselves stuck behind the next clump of traffic in front of them). In general, while this means you have to maintain a slightly higher speed than you would in the other lanes over all it is safer, if you maintain the 3-second rule as much as possible. JMHO and all that.

One caveat. When you get a lot of jack rabbit drivers cramming into the far left lane you get a lot of "accordion effect"-- lots of unnecessary speeding up and braking. This clogs up the left lane. For example on US 101 between Ventura and Santa Barbara it usually ends up flowing much more smoothly and faster to just stay in the right lane, even though you have to deal with cars merging on and off the highway. The big trucks and Moms in their minivans drive a lot more smoothly and steadily so the flow in the right lane ends up being much more predictable and steady, and slightly faster over all. But as mentioned, you need to be ready for a big old hunk of tread to come flying in your face, or maybe a lost load of cargo from a flat bed.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

5. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

I don't understand the "herd" mentality. I set my cruise control (usually 4-5 mph over the speed limit) and when being overtaken it's normally not one car, but 3 to 5 all driving the same speed.
    Or when a car is coming up behind you, and gets in the left lane, but instead of passing they stay right there next to you. WTH?

Get off my road!

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I have to confess it is awfully entertaining to watch impatient drivers kick against the prikks during an interstate traffic jam.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I honestly don't have a clue what you are saying I said. And i don't know what lines you are reading between. I never said I was holding up traffic, I said I'd move over when I could....meaning immediately when it was safe....not after I purposely hold up a car who is on my bumper. And when you say "you just don't see what we see." I truly don't know who "we" are. Not trying to be argumentative, maybe I wasn't clear. I think you completely misinterpreted what I said. And for the record, when I said I was probably speeding.....I wasn't talking about 65 in a 60. I'd say 10MPH over is the least that cops around my area even "think" about looking at you. To me the speed actually is irrelevant anyway, the left lane is the passing lane in my book, if I'm not passing anyone I move over...regardless of speed.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My apologies in that case but the phrases, words you chose were 100% in agreement with a lady I know who makes it her mission to try to slow those bad law breakers down.

I am not surprised that nobody openly admits to being that Person who is all about reacting to what other drivers are doing and forgets his exit and drives on for miles, but I know they're out there. My girlfriend has a nephew and he's really close to us but he is just a weapon on the road - nicest, hard working kid you could ever know.

So, sincerely sorry I fired and hit the wrong guy - maybe the "right" person will read it and realize it was meant for him.

9. 1955

I've developed almost a serenity now in my defensive driving, seeing it all unfold and knowing how it will likely play out, preparing, smooth transitions, just so slightly eeeeeasing off that accelerator under the halo-cook steam shark eyes that veer into their nights and frustrations

Pulled over twice on a two lane windy Rd. tonight. The tailgaters behind me weren't content with 30 in a 25, I think they acted a little surprised that I pulled over and let them by. Probably didn't even realize they were being nozzles.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

If it's a two-lane or more, I would just let them pass.

11. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

jam on ur breaks lol

12. 1955

One of the best things I've done is watch road rage and aggressive driving compilations. A vehicle and the drivers of vehicles can go from 0-deadly in seconds.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

We had one in my little Oregon hometown last week: details are still sketchy, but the guy in front got out of his car and went back to yell at the guy in back--and the guy in back shot him in the head. Just nicked him, luckily. And then they BOTH called 911. This was in the middle of town...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

The guy with the gun called to report an irate driver had sucked a bullet out of his gun and with the cost of ammunition being what is...

w3stie likes this.
  15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Not on me to prove anything love.
    It was on you to prove I violated one of the dozens of ordinaces you threw my way.
    You didn't.
    You thought you had me at 'oncoming traffic'.
    That is not referencing cars behind you.
    Thank you and drive safe.
    (That means your lane)

16. ebb soul

(Ahem) cops typically only stop the slowest speeder in the pack.
    A 'weakest of the pack' if you will.
    I've had cops tell me this.
    They've also referenced cars going to slow as 'appearing to be up to no good' and faster cars as 'having something important to do'
    Bear in mind, the 'laws' are more or less 'guidelines for their discression'.

All I can tell you about my bumper is
    " don't hang around, because twos' a crowd, on my cloud, baby'

17. Toto'sDad

Dangers of riding with tailgater chasing bakery truck.

[​IMG]

1955 likes this.
  18. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

QUOTE="boris bubbanov, post: 7371386, member: 13907"]My apologies in that case but the phrases, words you chose were 100% in agreement with a lady I know who makes it her mission to try to slow those bad law breakers down.

I am not surprised that nobody openly admits to being that Person who is all about reacting to what other drivers are doing and forgets his exit and drives on for miles, but I know they're out there. My girlfriend has a nephew and he's really close to us but he is just a weapon on the road - nicest, hard working kid you could ever know.

So, sincerely sorry I fired and hit the wrong guy - maybe the "right" person will read it and realize it was meant for him.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so now I'm a LADY!!! LOL:lol:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. ebb soul

..cue the 'micro aggression' thread again....

20. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Years ago I was at traffic court in Illinois and heard a really wacky case. This guy had been charged with tailgating..... get this... a State Trooper. The judge asked the guy why he would tailgate a State Trooper. The guy replied that he said at the time he was lost. The judge responded saying you were tailgating an Illinois State Trooper because you were lost??? What if he was headed to the Indiana border, then you'd have really been lost. Guilty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.