1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Safest way to handle aggressive tailgaters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 1, 2017.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming you are driving the speed limit/flow of traffic, practicing good defensive driving skills, are not in the passing lane, etc.?

Aggressive driving is a constant and growing problem, any tips that SAFELY handle tailgaters?

Tazz3, ZackyDog and Doug 54 like this.
  2. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Ignore them or pull over and let them pass. Do not engage and no eye contact.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a hard time following Elmore's guidance, but I feel better when I follow it. This is one reason why I am rooting for technology to interfere with drivers. When proximity sensing technology puts the brakes on a tailgater's vehicle, that driver can commence cussing at his vehicle as it backs off of my bumper, right? Come the day soon, please!

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Call in the armed drones

Not too safe for the tailgater, I guess, but mine have never overshot and hit me by accident

5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I'm inclined to let 'em pass me. Too many nuts on the road these days...

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Oil slick and smoke screen.

radiocaster, Tazz3, Badger06 and 11 others like this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The most general safe tip is to slow down and let them pass. So I just take my foot off the gas and coast, If they stay behind me then it is their problem. I know the speed limits and I'm not a Grandma. I travel above speed limits all the time. If I see someone coming up on me moving faster I will move over if the space is available. But if they are just driving up my butt trying to intimidate me to pull off the road or something I just stay where I am calmly. I was just looking at dashboard cameras today. They have all kinds of them cheap. In other countries they use them routinely to establish fault and record road rage. Thirty nine bucks at Frys today for a pretty good one. Or get a dash mount for your GoPro. Put a decal on the back that says "The camera is watching YOU"

Jim W, El Tele Lobo, tintag27 and 6 others like this.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I have pulled over and let folks pass. Some guys just don't believe the 2-second rule.

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to brake check them, now i just wave them by. The latter actually feels better.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I hate it when people tailgate me. I'll hug the right edge of my lane and slow slightly to encourage passing. You never know how bad of a day the stranger could be having. Don't piss off the stranger. I watched a guy get out of his car on a crowded exit ramp and the man screamed and he beat the drivers side window of another car (fists...full force....he was loosing it). Frightened the heck out of me. No brake checking Screw 'em. Just let them pass.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Easy.

I usually just let off the gas, coming to a crawl if need be. They'll pass eventually & I get some kind of satisfaction out of it too.

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Get as far away from them as you can, letting them go up the road by pulling over removes them from the equation and your life.

13. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I pull in somewhere for coffee and a donut.

BuckSatan, twr1, Brian Wright and 3 others like this.
  14. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Yeah I have driven with seemingly intelligent people who just don't understand safe braking distance.

The safest way to handle them is, of course, to allow 4 seconds braking distance -- 2 for you, 2 for them.

GroverRover and tintag27 like this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Since I drive a pickup I have an actual tailgate, the closer they are, the less I see them.
    It's all good

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I pull over.
    I drive slower, a lot of times in the extreme right lane, and about 5 under the limit.
    I've had my share of speeding tickets, and I hit a deer last spring.
    First time for that, in 43 years of driving!
    It was an expensive drag, and worse for Bambi.

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wash your windshield.

Badger06, ibis, dented and 1 other person like this.
  18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Also it's worth remembering that many (I believe most) tailgaters aren't being aggressive, just ignorant.

19. 28Gauge

28Gauge TDPRI Member

Speed up?

20. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

after years seeing the results of tailgating I have no tolerance for it. The only safe way to handle a tailgater is to put distance between them and you. They truly do have brains that squirm like toads if you get my reference.

In addition to the pull over, change lanes, wave them past advice I would add that following a tailgater at a safe distance is not really possible and even if you are twice what you think is a safe following distance behind a tailgater riding someones bumper, you are probably in the worst place to be in the vicinity of a bad 'gater, at least on a two lane with oncoming traffic.

It goes like this: car one gets sick of the tailgating and slows or brake checks, car two (the gater) loses control or hits car one, one or both cross the centerline and scare the bejeezus out of aunt bee coming the other way with a load of groceries and she panics and locks up the brakes, sliding into you (car three) at a high rate of speed. I have seen this situation where car 3 was able to stop completely and still got plowed, hard. One call went as described and then the follower and aunt bee collected another car from behind at high speed, lighting the whole mess afire.

Personally, I put on a blinker, make sure the tailgater is backing off, and pull up a driveway or onto the shoulder. I wait awhile, maybe check my emails or change radio stations, and then pull back out. I couldn't tell you how many times it turned out that toad brain and I were headed for the same town and ended up sitting at the same red light twenty minutes later.

It seems to be getting worse. We have raised a generation of kids that dont think about consequences.

But still, twenty five years ago, before all the video gamers all grew up playing grand theft auto and then getting real life drvers licenses, the most common thing I heard on these calls was "I didn't think it would happen to me". Aint nothing new under the sun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.