Sadness from offloading gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kram29, Jan 25, 2020.

1. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

I've been selling off extra stuff lately to buy a new house. I used some of it for new gear so that is cool but I can't help but feeling bummed out when I think about selling some of the guitars I still have, don't play enough to warrant keeping, yet I still want to keep them. My logical mind says sell that stuff in the closet for the house and maybe getting something you will play. Still very hard.

Anyone else have this feeling?

When is it time to let a piece of gear go?

Toto'sDad, dented, Toadtele and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have a hard time selling stuff, I have been selling a few things to get money to fix up my old truck.

dented likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like letting gear go either but I have had to sell the majority of my guitars, pedals and amps over the last couple of years. At the end of the day most of that gear fell under the luxury items category. It also lead me to buying budget gear to replace some of it and discovering cheap bodies and an amp that is as good or better than the high dollar items they replaced.
    It's best to not get too attached to "stuff". Imo there is also no point in having a bunch of nice gear but no time to play it due to working overtime to keep it all or add to it. Free time to do what you want with is worth more than most if not all the items you accumulate.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It’s just stuff:

5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Every now and then I get the urge to have a clear out. Right now, as it happens.

I get attached to certain instruments but they are few, and normally ones I still play regularly.

There are two obstacles to offloading, for me.

The first is the hassle of selling. How many scammers and time wasters am I going to have to deal with this time?

The second is that persistent doubt: I don't use it anymore, but what if it's just a phase and I'll want to play it again in six months time?

I try not to worry about it though.

Good luck.

OldDude2 likes this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I don’t like selling. I’m about to put partscasters up I’ve just too many and no room left. It’s breaking my heart. I’ve put a couple out on long term loan which feels much better.

7. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

I've always sold my gear without regret.

Sometimes I wish I attached sentimental value to guitars because I wonder if that's an extra level of enjoyment I'm not getting from my gear.

But I also know guys who keep everything, and their insistence on retaining all their beginner gear is often what holds them back from progressing onto better, more inspiring gear. My friends and I are now in our 30s/40s, and where some of us are trading in custom shops for more custom shops on the reg, some of us are lumbered with gear-lockers full of solid-state practice amps from 1996 and cheap strat knockoffs with twisted necks and pot-metal trem blocks.

My feeling is hoarding gear is like hoarding anything else. If you never use it, let it go. If you're upgrading, get rid of the inferior. I'm at a point in my life where it bugs me when people give me non-consumable gifts because that's something I didn't choose to own but now feel obligated to keep. A friend of mine got gifted one of those orange Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul Customs, which he dislikes so much he never plays it but feels he has to keep, and now can't jutify getting himself a guitar he'd actually play because he already owns a decent-quality guitar (he's not well-off and lives with his wife and child in a small flat). How bananas is that?

Also part of the reason our planet is so f***ed is people keep tons of s*** they don't need gathering dust in their basements instead of returning it to the marketplace (or being more careful to not buy useless s*** in the first place). For every guitar you could sell but don't, someone has to buy a new one.

8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I buy things fairly carefully, and plan to keep them forever. I'd have to be in a pretty ugly situation to be selling anything major off.

That said, when I finally kick it the missus is going to have a field day.

NewKid and Telecaster88 like this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have owned 25+ guitars over the years. I’m currently at 5.
    Two electric and three acoustic.

I am at the one in one out phase.

NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm in the sell it group- its just stuff. I'd be more worried that if I wanted to keep every piece of guitar gear I'd bought, I'd be a hoarder. I watch my brother buy new trucks every so often but instead of selling the old one he lets it sit and rust away. Seems like a shame to me.

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have achieved journeyman status when it comes to lying about selling gear. I think wifey is on to me...

12. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

I’m actually wrestling with selling stuff now myself. I recently got a bass and bass amp and am really enjoying playing it. I have a nice little pedalboard for guitar and a little Vox amp I really like. I’ve had nicer guitars but at the moment just an Affinity Tele. Contemplating selling all the guitar gear and keeping the bass stuff but I like the amp and pedals I have. But because I’m not using it I keep thinking I could sell it and get bass gear. Pedals are easy to replace but I would definitely miss the Vox at some point. The Affinity I have no problem moving along.

jh

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I changed my tune or feeling when it was clear at least two guitars I sold were dreams come true for others. In once case a Squiere some would laugh at was a teen's step up from a toy. A young man to me probably early 30s got a Martin acoustic and he said it was something he dreamed of for more than 1/2 his life.

14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I have an expensive acoustic, mandolin, and ukulele that will never be sold.

My five electrics and bass were all under $1000 and fall under the “tool” category that are easily replaceable. However, I don’t see myself consolidating to one electric guitar the way I’ve done with my three types of acoustics. I love the variety too much.

I don’t like selling so I’m trying to give more consideration to what I add to my electric guitar collection. So far so good.

I do enjoy gifting gear away to friends and family. For me it’s the best way to create room for a new instrument - my version of one in one out.

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

That's a nice way to approach it.

It's just stuff, like Carlin said. All of my gear wouldn't be enough for 2 house payments. So I'll hang on to it.

If I had expensive guitars, maybe it would be a tougher choice. And I suppose one that I have "pre-made" already when I bought my house.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Some people don’t have the stomach for it .

so don’t do it.

Of the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of guitars/amps/pedals I’ve owned (sure, some were just flippers) ,

I regret getting rid of maybe ...eight ?

But overwhelmingly most are hard to even remember.

In the door/out the door.

Don’t fetishize...

17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I recently started buying mine back :D

[​IMG]

Mine for a year in 2005, bought it back 14 years later.

One down, about fifteen to go...

naneek and Mike Eskimo like this.
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I have nine electrics and an acoustic, probably too many. I play five of them regularly, but the others have sentimental value to me and I'm glad to have them around. None of them cost much money, and what little $ I'd get selling them wouldn't offset the feeling I'd have if I sold one and later had the urge to pull it out and give it some exercise.

Those other guitars also have unique tonal character that comes in handy at times. In any case, I'm pretty much guitarred out. What I have now is what I'll die with, so all things considered I feel okay about it.

NewKid likes this.
  19. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I'm a hoarder ... I have amps that are 50yrs old and I will never use ... other amps that are 40 yrs old and will never use .... and new amps and I just can't part with them ... 26 microphones ... 10 guitars .... 3 mixers 14 pedals ... power amps .... PA speakers a Shure Vocal Master and a ton of other stuff .... I .... i ... I just can't let go of it.

dented and Mike Simpson like this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I've felt bad about a few guitars that I sold mostly because they remind me of a place or time. At the end of the day they are just things and they can all be replaced and the memories linger on. "… Sold my guitar to the baker's son
    For a few crumbs and a place to hide
    But I can get another one
    And I'll play for Magdalena as we ride"

kram29 and darkwaters like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.