1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Saddles/Bridge As Low As Can Go, Action Still Too High

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Angled

Andy Summers likes this.
  2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

That's what I figured. Thank you, Nick!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I really would like to see a tonal difference between a dragon bone or petrified wood shim and a credit card shim. Any sound clips I can hear ... anywhere ?

If you think raising the whole neck will solve your problem (it could), then a shim covering the whole pocket. If you want more angle, shim at back of pocket. Smaller shims should be made with some angle to them and cover about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pocket.

But that's me, a non-believer in magic properties.

Andy Summers likes this.
  4. Andy Summers

I just ordered a 3 pack, angled (shaped) set from Stew-Mac via the link below. I also just spoke with the guy who does all the work on my guitars when I need it. I figured I know he knows his stuff and obviously Stew-Mac does. As I'm sure you guys do as well. "My tech" did say that he does use credit cards or even business cards often as well. But just for my own peace of mind, I went with good ole' Stew.

https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/e...itar-necks/stewmac-neck-shims-for-guitar.html

5. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You want an angled one; you're trying to increase the break angle at the bridge, versus lifting the whole neck. Gerry (Haze) recommends getting an 0.5º if you can only afford just one. I started with that one, but might swap over to the 0.25º I also bought the next time I swap strings.

Here's my post/thread on the shim anyhow, and how it changed things for me. I'm sure no expert, but hope this helps. Also Mike Adams aka Puisheen on YT/IG is a great resource.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/shimmed-the-new-jaguar-big-improvement.1054613/

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Awesome! Thank you! I just ordered the 3 pack angled from StewMac. Ill check out your post now.

buster poser likes this.
  7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome, sir. Glad I could be of some assistance. :)

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. Andy Summers

Hey @buster poser , why may you switch to the .25 degree shim? Just curious.

9. buster poser

The strings are just a little too taut right now, and even with the shorter scale, whole-step bends on the G-string are tougher than they should be; I played 11s on my Tele for a couple years and don't remember them feeling nearly this stiff.

My completely unscientific guess is that 11s with a quarter-degree shim may loosen up just a bit, or I might first try 10s with the 0.5.

Short version: I experiment a lot, and it's how I got my Tele to basically perfect, but this thing has been a real challenge to dial in and it's still not quite there. Might just be down to the guitar at this point, but I'll give it another few tweaks to see if I can get that last 5% out of it.

Andy Summers likes this.
  10. Andy Summers

Interesting. I’ll take those points into consideration. Thank you, again :)

11. buster poser

Most welcome!

Andy Summers likes this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Shim-shiminy shim-shiminy shim shim shimee!

13. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Only a few things effect string height. The bridge, the nut, and neck relief are most likely. If you have looked at all those and they are definately NOT the cause, the ONLY other thing it could be is the neck pocket. Shims can be had cheap. Or you can use razor blades, business cards, or even a few dimes if you really need to jack it up several thousanths.

Andy Summers likes this.
  14. Andy Summers

HAHA! Is that you, Bert?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Action is set at the nut and bridge saddles, NOT with the truss rod! In your case with saddles low and action still high a shim at the back of the neck pocket is indeed the easy fix. I prefer that scenario over the one where the saddles are raised as high as possible and action is too low. That requires a shim at the front of the neck pocket. It’s all about geometry and subtle differences between neck pockets and necks. Fender designed these parts to be interchangeable, but wood dries out and also expands with the weather and shimming Fenders is a standard practice. Hope you got it worked out. Those Stew Mac shims are on my list to give them a look.

16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

The shims you buy are typically angled. the 1 degree shim from Stewmac is pretty significant. So much so that when I added it to my guitar to address a similar issue as yours, it rendered it totally unplayable. It was fretting out all along the 12th frets and above and I couldn't get the neck right with truss rod adjustments so I bailed on it.
    They are not cheap (for silly slices of wood) but you may want to try the .25 degree or even a few of them. I'm almost convinced now that mine really needed a flat shim all across the pocket, but since then I've done some finagling and it is working, but it's taken ALOT of machinations to get it nearly where I want it.
    Good luck!

17. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

For my Jazzmaster, I used the 0.5 degree Stew Mac shim and it made a huge difference (for the better). I’m using 11’s and the JM has the 25.5 inch scale, of course, which is different from your Jag. I’m really wanting the Cobain. It’s one of the few available Jags us lefties can purchase and I hear they’re really well put together and have great pickups. My only gripe is the Strat shaped headstock. Congrats on a great guitar and hope the shim works out for you.

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The recent Squier Mustangs and Jaguars do not need shims, but the original ones in the 60s had shims from the factory.

Really I would think yours had a shim and the previous owner removed it.

Yes, you can put lower gauge strings on it.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Don't pay for shims! Just to a cigar store and ask for some cedar sheets or use sand paper. Both work excellent.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Henley and Andy Summers like this.
  20. Andy Summers

Thanks, Southpaw! I have had A LOT of guitars over the years and have to say, the Cobain is at the top of the heap. Don't care that it's Mexican made and not US. It is a solid, solid instrument. Neck is absolutely perfect for me. Just have to deal with this shim thing...so I guess it's not a totally "perfect" guitar..haha. Hope you can grab one. You will love it!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.