1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Saddles - Brass to steel?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, Dec 9, 2008.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I just finished my first Parts-o-caster and so far, it’s pretty cool, but I am still in the tweaking stage. It’s an alder body, maple neck with brass saddles (compensated, from Stew-mac). One thing I notice it that the low E string is not as snappy as I would like. Might a steel, aluminum, or titanium saddle for the low E/A strings help add some of that piano like bounce?

Right now the attack on the low E is a little soft and seems bassier than some other teles. If not the saddle, what else might attribute to this?

Thanks!

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

a lot of people around here have tried steel on the E/A and reported good results. it's certainly worth getting a set and trying them out in various combinations.

3. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

I prefer alluminum for the low E and A, personally. The alluminum has the added spank and twang of steel but is richer, and fuller like brass. Steel certainly adds bite and twang but it also tends to sound "thinner" and less balanced with the brass. I use a glendale set that goes like this: Aluminum/Brass/Brass. I love it.

4. Rocks

Rocks Tele-Afflicted

Perfect time for this question. I'm looking at switching to the vintage style bridge myself and was curious about the tonal differences of the different materials. I play mostly rock and blues on a 2004 MIM tele, all stock (as far as I know) I have pretty good tone right now but I really think I want to switch the bridge to see what improvements it makes.

5. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try a cold rolled one.

I have access to a machine shop, maybe I'll try to make my own. Anyone have dimensions of a standard saddle? I suppose I could take mine and measure it.

6. Rocks

Rocks Tele-Afflicted

I wish I did, I have an interesting idea for a bridge mod that I think would be a great seller but I have no way to prototype and test it.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's what I do. I just use the calipers to measure the individual saddle and I adhere to those exact dimensions for than E-A, D-G or B-E saddle. You can custom tweak the angle of the compensation to match your neck radius. About 27/32nds or .84 inches.

I use 6-32 tap for the intonation length screws, and 4-40 for the height screws. My latest foray is 9/32nds brass rod stock. I'm getting to it.

Cold rolled steel sounds good for your need. I have got aluminum E-As on maybe 5 guitars but it changes the spank. It is not IMO gonna give you spank if you had almost none to start.

8. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

What do you mean by these numbers? Is that an angle?

What I mean by spank is when you can really hammer on the low E and it doesn't flab out. It gets that percussive and bell like response. (I don't know if that makes sense.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.