Sad times

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ReverendRevolver, Aug 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I was taking vacation from work from the third until the 15th, longest one I've been able to get ever. Wife and I were taking the kids to Florida; Jax(to spend some time with wifes aunt) then my mother, step dad, and sister were flying down and we were going to Orlando and Daytona, then parting ways so we could spend more time with my wifes family before driving back to Ohio.

My 88 year old grandfather has had trouble with his left leg for about a month, and it was determined while we were in Florida he wouldn't be keeping it. Thursday the 8th, I was talking to my wife about taking more time off work while he was In recovery to set his house up with some extra rails and ramps.
    They were unable to do the amputation, and Saturday the tenth told us eventually the leg would go septic and end him, so he was getting transferred from Columbus to Newark (where we live) on hospice.
    We cut our plans short and left from Georgia that sunday driving through the night and arriving at the hospital before 7am Monday, with my step dad and sister making it just after 7(they stopped less).
    We got a few minutes of him being awake but groggy that day, and I went home to shower around 8 and went back at midnight.
    We lost him just after 11 Tuesday morning.

He was in the Navy 20 years, retired from his civilian factory job in the early 80s, and while he had jobs after that, he pursued music most of the time since retiring. He played the pedal steel. Actually, it's hard to find pictures of him not playing the steel.

He was married to my grandmother for 59 years. He will always be my hero, and was always the grandparent I was closest to my entire teenage and adult life.

But that isn't why I'm saying all of this on a guitar forum.

My grandmother is not exactly rich, and it would be practical and prudent for her to move, but we aren't there yet. His music stuff and tools have been stolen and pawned over the years, only some reclaimed, but instruments wise, I'm only unable to locate a Gibson Uke, his Fender mustang (which he loaned out to a friend of his every few years, but I'm sadly unsure of who...) and a saxophone that I hadn't seen in awhile anyway.

Its unlikely I'll ever be coordinated enough to play pedal steel, but for certain a lap steel will be coming with me, along with some other instruments, his records, and due to an agreement about "not letting people know what I've got in here" due to fear of theft, his entire gun safe.

But that means I'll be unloading around 15 steel guitars, and while his primary (and nicest) one will not be going to someone we don't know, that's still alot. That's probably more than the total number of steel guitars in Reverb right now.
    Steels aren't exactly cheap (most are vintage by 2019 standards, all of his were vintage long before that...) and the goal is to make sure my grandmother is good financially while putting these things into the hands of someone who loved music like he did.
    A couple old family friends and I will be asking locally, but beyond that its likely Reverb.

Does anyone have steel specific experiences regarding selling? It's quite niche compared to other things.
    (And wounds are still pretty fresh, I almost snapped at someone about moving a pedal steel in his music room before my logic brain stopped me...)

Now, there are deeper mysteries afoot. When I'm there next, I'll be taking pictures of my (late) uncle's Hagstrom bass, to try figuring out what happened to it before I fix it, and while it's just as likely his Mustang (which was his favorite electric since he bought it in the 80s...) was stolen as lent out, I'm pretty certain it may be gone regardless.

Anyway, any steel specific advice would be appreciated.

He didn't really talk about what to do with his music stuff once he was gone. In closing, the suddenness of his passing was unexpected, because he was still playing out each week or more often until about a month ago.
    Whatever you do, keep gigging, for your loved ones sake.

Stubee, VWAmTele, String Tree and 5 others like this.
  2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Please accept my condolences for your loss. You are fortunate to have had a fine relationship with your grandfather.

With regards to the steel guitars try The Steel Guitar Forum. Lots of knowledge there from folks passionate about all things steel.

3. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

My condolences to you and family.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

So sorry for you and yours. I lost my sis last October to a similar thing. She was too infected to take the leg.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sad tale, Rev.....sorry about your Grandad.
    I can't help with advice about the steel guitars, but I appreciate your story to encourage me (and others as it applies) to deal with certain things BEFORE they're left to family to take care of.
    Again....sorry for your family's loss. :(

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I'm very sorry for your loss... My condolences to you.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m sorry about your grandfather.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My Condolences. My Wife lost both her parents last year and it's a lot to go through.

To all that read this: If you don't have all your affairs in order(insurance, POA's, burial plots and burial insurance) with beneficiaries and contingent beneficiaries named, do so now. Or the loved ones that survive you will likely go thru a nightmare or two with the insurance companies, lawyers and courts. My MIL didn't get the funerial and burial she wanted because of this type of problem.

So take care of all the things that need to be done while you can.

puddin likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear Rev.
    I can't help at all with the gear questions but I can say a little prayer.

puddin likes this.
  10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear of your loss; it's a hard thing when someone who your so close to goes.

My grandpa died a few years back and I was lucky enough to inherit his fly-fishing gear. I'd always planned to go fishing with him again, "sometime in the future", as I'd fished with him when I was a kid but had discovered other pursuits as I got older.

Whilst I should have gone with him again before he died, it has been great to learn the skills required and the feeling I get when I hook a wild brown trout oh his gear is fantastic.

puddin likes this.
  11. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Sorry about your granddad Rev! I wish you and your family peace and comfort .....

12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

My condolences to you and your family. I send prayers your way for comfort, peace and healing.

I'm afraid I'm of no use on your steel questions, but as suggested above, i concur the Steel Guitar Forum is probably a good place to start.

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

This is the exact advise I was going to offer.
    I think it the best I’ve read. The Steel Guitar Forum once you’ve explained your situation should be very helpful.

14. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I play pedal steel (see avatar) & know a bit of their worth. You could PM me & I could give you a rough idea. OR...you could try The Steel Guitar Forum.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  15. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Sorry for your loss
    :(

16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very sorry for your loss.

17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Condolences... the attraction of playing the steel would be too great for me not to try one.

18. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

I offer you my condolences. I empathize. I do hope that each coming day will deliver the proper strength to you to help adjust to this life changing event. Sad to hear about your loss.:(

19. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A hard combo here - losing somebody who means a lot and taking on a "property liquidation" project. Especially when you don't wanna give it away, but can't sit on the property indefinitely, due to non-market pricing.
    Other than loving the sound of a pedal steel, I've got no idea how to price or market them.

In the last two years, however, I've migrated both parents out of their longtime home, placed mom in bed-bound memory care and rolled dad off his hospital bed to the gurney that finally got him into medical school (whole-body donation). And in the course of it, facing down the prospect of liquidating property (oriental rugs anyone?) w/ limited understanding of value and selling points. Can't give 'em away, cos mom's care ain't cheap . . .

So, I feel ya, @ReverendRevolver - no pithy answers, but an encouragement to not make snap decisions, esp if somebody's trying to get you to "unload" the gear at a fire-sale price.

Peace - Deeve

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

First and foremost, Sorry for your Loss.
    You and the Family are in a state of Shock, I would imagine.

You are right aboutt keeping the gigging going.
    It was something he must have loved beyond words.
    -ST

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.