1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sad state of display models

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rdwhitti, Jul 5, 2016.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I was at my local GC yesterday to make a return which went very pleasantly and quick so I thought I would check out the guitars while I wa there. Saw a used 2010 MIM tele and took it for a spin, but noticed right off how filthy it was and that the selector knob was missing. I thought "ok it's used, what do you expect". Then I went to plug it in and the jack was extremely loose, about to fall out. I thought "no way" and put it back.

Then I started looking at new teles on the wall, and would you believe it every single one was missing the selector knob and the 3 or 4 that I tried all had loose jacks. What a sad state for new equipment on display for sale!

Needless to say I did not buy anything even with the holiday coupon, and I don't think I will ever buy anything there again. Sad.

2. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Every time I go to GC, I just see a sea of Squire & Epiphones, so I've never really had the itch to try anything there. Small dealers around me are basically the same, except some might carry different brands of Chinese crap.

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't understand why they don't restring the used guitars. I grabbed an absolutely beautiful Suhr the last time and the strings were beyond dead. Damn near flatwound sounding. $1300 and it sounded like a garage sale guitar.

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I usually steer away from chain stores in general, although I do buy strings from Amazon.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

At my local GC, two blocks from work, I've been wanting to check out the Yamaha THR amps, but they never have any power cords connected to them. I brought this up to one of the kids working there, he said "oh yeah, we'll have to make sure and order some". This was some 6 months ago, I was in there a few days back, still nada

6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Same issue at a GC near work. Most of the tube amps are missing their fuse. I asked someone on the floor, and they told me that they get stolen - a lot. They usually have more in stock, but whenever they replace the ones in the amp, they get stolen again. They were currently waiting a new shipment.

It's hard to believe someone would take a risk that big for a $5 part, but whatever. Who is blowing that many fuses that they need to keep cleaning out the local GC?

I also agree about dead strings, missing power cords, and missing foot switches. I assume power cords and foot switches go to the same place the fuses do. Maybe someone has a booming EBay business, and restocks inventory with a five finger discount?

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I see that you live in Texas. I'm surprised. I bought a Fender Pro Jr and a Seagull Grand (parlor acoustic) used from two different Texas GC's through the GC on line gear finder.

The Pro Junior arrived at my home in WI with the tubes removed and wrapped in bubble wrap and they were tucked in the amp near the speaker in a larger bubble envelope. Corrugated cut to size was secured over the speaker grill with masking tape. Foam sheeting was wrapped all the way around. The parlor guitar was packed with equal care. Both items were pristine when they arrived. I got great deals. I've always had this mental image of the Texas stores being really classy with good guys working in them. Oh well; I'm 2 for 2....positive. Sorry you had a bad trip to the store.

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yep, same experience here. Even worse, they sell a lot of stuff that's unplayable without major repairs and when unseen I treat their items like junk store finds....only buy at absolute bottom dollar with a good possibility of returning.

9. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

I nearly bought a used Squier CV tele from GC a few months back but corroded strings and a loose jack put me in the think about it mode. $5 of strings and a quick look over would have likely closed the sale.

I found a nice MIM a week later for not much more so I should be happy they didn't restring!

10. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I understand why they don't invest in the used stock. I bet they would have to have a full-time person to do all that stuff.

11. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Guitars have to be out on display so that we can try them, but of course, they are subject to being dropped, scratched or having knobs and switch tips removed.

I remember that some 30 years ago in my hometown, there was a music store that wouldn't let you try out a guitar until the salesman vetted that you had enough money on you to complete the purchase. They were also notorious for selling factory seconds (but not telling you that it was a factory second). They didn't stay in business very long.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So it's not worth a store to keep their display models in good repair -- decent strings, knobs and fuses present? Sad.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it's a double edged sword. We want inventory and low prices and we want things to be meticulously maintained. Pick two. I don't think that you're going to get all three. People want rock bottom prices at Home Depot but they also want 5 employees to be hanging out to assist shoppers in each isle. You can't have both. Pick one.

Cost on a typical set of strings is about $1.60. If you love a guitar but the strings are gross ask them to restring it. Tell them that you are very interested but the strings are gross. They'll restring the thing in 10 minutes. The cost to them is tiny.

The only two floor models that I've bought in Brookfield (GC) were a Squier Cabronita (I bought it the day after it was hung on the shelf - I had been watching their inventory from home - you can do that) and my Gretsch Box Car Resonator (which looked like no one had ever touched it). I typically play a floor model and if I enjoy it I ask if they have a new one in back (for all the other guitars that I've bought there they had a new one in back). It's like a shoe store.......they have more inventory in back than they have out front. Sometimes you have to ask.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.