1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sad SDIYAD

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by brucerbc, Nov 1, 2020.

1. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

I was really looking forward to starting a Mojotone 5F11 build this weekend. Unfortunately, somebody lifted the package off my front step about 30 mins after FedEx delivered (I'd paid duties and pre-released).

Thief left the crutches a neighbor had returned and the cookies they placed on top of the shipping box (yes, the baker is offended).

Neighbor saw thief put box in truck and drive off, but seemed really casual so assumed nothing was wrong (didn't get plate).

Assuming I'm out the cost of the kit since it was stolen after delivery, but can't talk to Mojotone until tomorrow. Can anyone say from similar experience?

(sorry if wrong forum, but seemed pretty niche to amp kits from a major supplier)

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Geez. It just is a pisser for sure. These low life's are everywhere.
    I wish cops wold focus on this more , especially for the next couple of months. Unfortunately, little is done to them even if they are caught down here.

3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One thing we know, the thief is not smart enough to build it . Watch for someone selling a kit

scook, JayFreddy, jsnwhite619 and 5 others like this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Get a doorbell cam .

5. Gardo

The dear old lady across the street from us has one. It gives her a perfect view of my front door
    Any chance your neighbors have one ?

tery likes this.
  6. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Yes, the neighbor that saw the thief take the box has a doorbell cam with a perfect view of my driveway and front door... but only sets it to record when he's away.

Urgh.

7. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hope you get it back. I know that the duties/import fees are significant which add extra pain.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Does it cost more to require a signature on delivery? There is no way I would have anything of value delivered without it.
    To the OP, sorry to hear this.

jsnwhite619 and SRHmusic like this.
  9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In my experience, yes, perhaps $2 to $5(?, from memory). There are options online to instruct UPS to leave packages with a neighbor, as well

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This sucks.

11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Maybe the OP can get a good deal on it!

12. Gardo

Ouch

13. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sorry OP. Thievery is the worst. I've suffered really only one significant theft and I still get aggravated thinking about it 15+ years later. I hope one way or another you still get to pursue your build.

14. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Package theft is now a state felony in Texas, although that would require actually doing some police work to catch them. Sucks you had that happen. they-got-us-working-in-shifts.jpg

15. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

Why do American parcel delivery companies leave stuff on the porch. In the UK, its normally left with a neighbour or took back to the depot for you to collect later. Surely this is better than having stuff half inched from your front door.

16. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I do not accept packages for neighbors anymore after two experiences:

1) A floral arrangement was brought over to my apartment that was supposed to be for a neighbor. I had a snowglobe hastily thrown in it. The snowglobe fell off broke when I was taking over the the neighbor's house and they wanted me to replace it.

2) I signed for a package at the neighboring apartment. I knew the neighbors well and I thought I would do her a favor. It was hundreds of dollars of camera equipment. Except she changed her mind and was going to return it, but she couldn't because it was signed for.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

bricerbc, I feel for you,especially given the $$$ involved to get it into the country and your doorstep... Let us know if there's any way of you recovering the costs.
    FWIW, I use Canada Post's Flex Delivery now for parcels (retailer must be able to deliver to a PO box).

18. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear that; awful that people can be such blatant pieces of ...

Are there unique serial numbers in the kit? Perhaps you can screen for that if you see any CraigsList or other listings; the kits aren't that common.

Good luck

19. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Closing the loop on this thread. Shortest version of how the story played out is:
    • FedEx took a month to agree the (stolen) package was lost, then determined that they wouldn't cover the loss because Mojotone chose to ship it without a signature requirement.
    • Mojotone stood by their customer anyway and replaced the lost shipment, which was safely delivered to me.
    So, the takeaway message for me is to always choose a shipping option that requires a receipt signature (and ask shippers for that option at my own cost if it's not offered).

Also, after expressing deepest thanks to Mojotone, I asked that they make selection of the signature required option standard procedure for all international shipments (or at least make that choice clearly available for customers).

So, sad story, happy ending and kudos to the stand up crew at Mojotone.

20. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

No good deed goes unpunished.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.