Sacrilege, I prefer the master volume Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TeleUpNorth, Jun 7, 2021.

1. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

After a recent trip to Chicago Music Exchange and demoing pedals on a non master volume version I was delighted to come home to my master volume TR and crank the master while keeping volume from being deafening to get get that creamy sound....not that the one in Chicago sounded bad, but man did I love coming home and hearing my own.

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree- I don't see them as a negative

Telecastoff1 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Best Twin Reverb i ever played through was in a rehearsal studio in NYC about 35 years ago. Silverface, with a master volume, loaded with a couple of old Celestions.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  4. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Used to have one with Vintage 30’s in it and loved it. Recently acquired one with the original Oxfords in it and so creamy when the master is cranked yet that TR clarity.

5. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

My ex-father-in-law had a silverface master volume Twin and it was a fantastic sounding amp.

In my mind knowing it was supposed to be a "bad sounding amp" I saved up my money and bought me a new Twin Reissue thinking if the "bad sounding" twin sounded as good as it did this blackface reissue was going to be pure magic. Nope..... it's the least favorite amp I've had.

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I agree. Plugged into several MV, 70s twin reverb in NYC studios through the years. Some were pretty beat, but they all sounded great. Especially with the master dialed back a bit. Never understood the dismissal of the MV twin reverbs. The best TRs I heard were those early 70s SF models.

Telecastoff1 and Paul G. like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Turn in your Telecaster sir!
    If your Twin Reverb is not peeling the paint in the room, it’s not doing it’s job!
    ;):D;):lol:

NoTeleBob and Jowes_84 like this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Perhaps I am not reading your post correctly, but I am confused. If one cranks the MV…puts it on 10, the MV is in effect out of the picture and the circuit behaves exactly like a non-MV TR. So, what was the difference other than the ‘venue’? Did the amp at CME not perform well? Do you use pedals at home? If not, how do you set your amp up to get a ‘creamy’ sound, which is not generally the sound of a low volume that is achievable in any BF/SF TR?
    That said, it is a good thing to be happy with what one has at home! Just curious as to how you are running a MVTR with the MV cranked to get low volume cream?

SnidelyWhiplash, Lynxtrap and E5RSY like this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Like @Wally I'm also confused about the idea of cranking the MV on a Twin. My understanding has always been that cranking the MV just takes it out of the circuit and that matches my experience with my '73 SFTR.

All that said, I came to the conclusion long ago that the MV was a feature not a bug on Silverface Twins. The common perception that these amps sound anemic at lower volumes is far more myth than reality.

Telecastoff1, hepular and Wally like this.
  10. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Sacrilege???? No this is major Sacrilege to some. I just recapped and modded my 68 Bassman I added a master volume where the 2nd out speaker jack is. I love it!!!! It gives me more tone options at usable volume levels. Many comments on such sacrilege are done buy the "know it all" mega posters. The ones that know everything about any subject who criticize modding any vintage amp. There is a lot ignorance out there concerning the master volume on how to use it and what it really does for sure.

Attached Files:

11. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

I think part of it is that some expect a Master Volume to give them overdrive or the sound of a cranked amp at lower volumes. Which is not the case with these MV Fenders.

Then there is the theory that the MV still "sucks tone" even if cranked. This perceived problem can be solved by installing a pot with a switch for bypassing the MV.

Also, when these amps came out they didn't sound like their BF predecessors due to different circuimstances, and the MV pot was a visible change that was easy to blame. These "myths" tend to live on.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime with BF/SF amps, Your amp and the other Bassman’s from the AB165 through to the Bassman 50 could do well to have a good MV installed since they have more preamp gain than does any other BF/SF amp….they are hot. I like them a lot. Your mod was not invasive in that you did not put another hole in the chassis. I would find that mod useful, I think.
    If I were do that mod, I might use the polarity(ground) switch hole. I use the Ext Spkr Jack for a NFB loop adjustment pot.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Really a no harm no foul easy mod to do to a Bassman. I also bias my tubes not as hot. These things are loud period. There is no way I could turn this up to 4 and get that sweetest OD sound ever heard and play it in my room. Master Volume Yes all the way. I thought about removing the ever useful two prong AC electrical plug and putting the MV there. Decided against it as sometimes I need a cup of coffee and it is so nice to be able to plug my hot pot into that outlet. LOL my attempt at humor. :) :)

Wally likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a fan of MV's in most amps. But once you get up to the Twin type of wattage it seems to work well. In smaller amps it nearly always seems to degrade the tone using a MV. (however, sure ...some people may want that tone degradation!)
    A sterile clean 100 watt + Twin can use a bit of that MV tone degradation though, so maybe that is what works for me. I have tried type 1 through 4 MV's...

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

The MVs in the Silverfaces are good, IMO. They just require a little juice. Try a boost on the vibrato channel. Crank the channel volume. You're welcome.

If you want both loud and clean, the MV on its own won't change that much, anyway. Even with MV cranked (out of the circuit). But if you want some grind, you're gonna have to boost the front end and dime the channel volume. To keep the volume in check, keep the MV down.

They are not designed like Marshall MVs from the 70s. I do remember reading somewhere (Aspen Pittman?) rumor had it that Fender did this to allow for boosting with pedals, which they do beautifully.

On the pull knob boost SF Fenders, just keep the knob pushed in, and use a clean boost pedal.

I happen to like overdriven BF/SF fender pre-amp stages. I modified a late 70s bassman (UL) to allow for more pre tube crunch without having to use a boost. Came out great. It's currently my main amp.

I also pooh pooh the UL debate. Turning up a twin, pro reverb, or even a bassman, to past concert volume to get some output tube crunch nowadays is a fool's errand. It always was, as big fenders were not designed to get dirty. Marshalls were. UL Fenders are just fine for getting some nice pre tube crunch at reasonable volumes, with some minor tweaks or pedaling.

Wally likes this.
  16. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

To me the master volume came in the era ultra-linear transformers, pull distortion, blob tone caps and sloppy lead dress. But like '70's Fender guitars they aren't that bad after 40-50 years.

17. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

My TRRI has a Master volume... and two V30... and I love it

18. JohnFender

JohnFender TDPRI Member

My master volume twin with d120f gets played the most, its a 76

19. Tygr60

Tygr60 TDPRI Member

Just picked up a 'Super Reverb' from 1981. UL model with Master vol. I dig it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.