S1 switching?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jordans0nly, Nov 6, 2019.

1. jordans0nly

jordans0nly TDPRI Member

Where's the best place to look for it? Base plate, everything. Also, besides the new Ultra pickups, best fender noiseless version?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The vintage noiseless were fine. I had some.

3. jordans0nly

jordans0nly TDPRI Member

3rd gen? 4th?

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not sure, looked like this:
    [​IMG]

jordans0nly likes this.
  5. jordans0nly

jordans0nly TDPRI Member

The vintage noiseless aren't expensive from what I saw. And pretty hot. Saw a new Baja switching set up on Reverb made by 92D Customs.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

First generation. It goes:
    1. Vintage Noiseless (American Deluxe 1998-2003, now used on the current series of MIM Deluxe guitars that came out in 2016 but was used on a few Strats in earlier series of MIM Deluxe, probably starting around 2006)
    2. SCN (American Deluxe 2004-2009)
    3. N3 (American Deluxe 2010-2015)
    4. N4 (American Elite 2016-October 2019
    5. Ultra Noiseless (American Ultras November 2019-present)
    Can't really comment on the series vs. each other for Tele pickups; I've only really spent time with the original Vintage Noiseless - played a lot of American Deluxe Teles in that 1998-2003 time frame) and the current MIM Deluxe Nashville which uses the same pickups.

Regarding the Strat pickups I bought an SSS American Deluxe Strat in 1998 with the Vintage Noiseless - sold it after almost a year and replaced it with an AVRI '62 Strat. Then tried one again - bought an SSS American Deluxe V-neck Strat in 2004, with the SCN pickups. Didn't keep that one a year; replaced it with an EBMM Silhouette Special. From the 2 I found I don't like noiseless pickups in Strats, so I'm probably not the best judge as to which is the "best".

EDIT: On the American Deluxe/American Elite/American Ultra Teles the S-1 switch just changed the middle position (both pickups) from parallel to series wiring. As far as I know any place that sells Fender parts should have them.

7. Rick-Robertson

Rick-Robertson TDPRI Member

Had Vintage Noiseless in my 2005 Strat with an S-1 rigged to engage the bridge pickup with the neck pup. Didn’t like the pickups or the S-1.

Went back to stock ceramic pups and switching......put the Strat back in it’s case in the closet and went out and bought a Tele.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have the N3s going to replace them with 51 Nocasters. The N3s feel like playing through a frequency window, not all the tone is present.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Darren Riley is a good place to find Fender parts. Not sure what you mean by base plate. The S-1 is a pot/switch combo, not a pickup.

10. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For S-1 switches and/or the pickups I'd say Reverb or eBay. Keep in mind you could get the same results as an S-1 with a push-push or push-pull potentiometer, a four-way switch, or a DPDT. S-1 is really just if you really like the S-1.

I'm on record as saying the N3s don't require replacement but they are a bit fatter and warmer (i.e., reduced high end) compared to traditional designs. I don't think any set of Fender noiseless pickups are amazing. I'm a fanboy of Kinmans but I realize they're getting hard to source these days.

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What about hot noiseless? Variation on vintage noiseless (gen 1)? I didn’t mind the SCNs, actually - they felt pretty open and touch responsive to me. I thought the N3s were more compressed sounding and I was really disappointed with the N4s - very sterile to my ears. However this was purely from trying these out in stores (mind you a lot of them). Never owned any. Used rail pickups for a while with good results and now getting back into true single coils with a good shielding job - ahh - like a breath of fresh air!

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an American Deluxe Strat with the SCN pickups. I've never experienced with them the complaints I hear a lot about them. It did take me a long time to dial in their heights, though (but most of that time was spent doing nothing because I was terrified of hating the results and being unable to get it everything back to where it was). Now, between the pickups switch, knobs and S1, I can get a ton of different tones that are all usable.

I have been thinking of making one tone control a master and using the second space for a bass cut for use with the S!-engaged options.

13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

as a totally biased person , try Dimarzio hum cancelling pickups, that where my money is strat or tele, :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.