1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

S1 Switch Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Backbeat8, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

I want to get rid of the entire S1 switch and "system" is that something difficult to do? How easy is this? Can I just get someone to tear the whole thing out? And then put a normal knob there instead? Or does Fender make that an extra difficult affair to participate in....

The S1 Switch was a huge turnoff for me when I was considering the Deluxe Series, and it is now appearing to be just a massive vulnerability on an Elite model.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

It won’t be a problem at all — just get a normal A250K pot and rewire the 3-way switch like a ‘normal’ Tele. It’s not really a “system”, just a 4PDT stuck on to the bottom of the volume pot.

You’ll need a new barrel knob too.

Has your S1 failed? Mine is still going strong after 2 years.

Backbeat8 likes this.
  3. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Ok! Thanks you!

I thought it was connected in some "web of wires" to multiple places, because it affects both pups and how they work....

I am contemplating buying the Elite Tele, but I have seen an instance where the switch becomes faulty and is apparently very fragile, and proned to causing problems or not working.

4. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

You don't need a "normal" pot, just a standard barrel knob on it and ignore the function (it should be standard without the switch activated).

5. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

...or if you think it's bad mojo, get someone to rewire and put in a new "normal" pot...

6. AAT65

Good point! Keep it simple...

7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

It's quite easy if you got some soldering skills and download a wiring scheme.

I did it the other way around, took out the stock pots and put some with S-1 switches in, but I'm definitely not normal!

:D

Backbeat8 likes this.
  8. AAT65

Backbeat8 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.