S1 switch and Dimarzio question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Zoso420, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I have a tele with a 4way pickup selector and an S1 switch that puts the pickups out of phase in position 2 and 4. My questions are dose the pase switch only change the phase of the neck pickup and I read somewhere that Fender use reverse phase for their pickups and I need to switch the red "hot" and green "ground". When I hook up my Dimarzio bridge pickup. Thanks

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, the S1 just changes the phase of the neck pickup - if it changed them BOTH, they'd be back IN phase.

YES., Fender pickups USUALLY play out of phase with after-market pickups, like DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan. The fix for that is to reverse the hot and negative (aka ground) of the new pickup.

IF you're replacing the bridge pickup, be sure you disconnect the baseplate from the negative lead (if there is one) and wire a new ground lead from the guitar's ground (typically back of volume pot) to the baseplate. Like this... This is a Strat pickup with a baseplate, but you get the idea.

If it's a neck pickup with a metal cover, do the same thing to the cover. See this...

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Am I wrong in saying it doesn't matter in this case?

So your S1 flips the phase of your neck pickup.

So the bridge doesn't matter, connection-wise. Your S1 function (purpose) is to go out of phase with the bridge, so either way, you have it (up or down) it will be oop one way and in phase the other.

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It won't matter, unless you're anal about which position (throw) is which. If you have to solder it up anyway, might as well solder it so the functions match the stock setup. My two scents...

sjtalon likes this.
  5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, what in is, or out, that floats yer boat.

6. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply I installed the pickup over the weekend with a on,on ,on switch for series,coil split, and parallel. It works great and I'm very happy with the Tone Zone T

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.