S/PFIF into laptop - worth it?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rich_S, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Boss VF-1 half-rack multi effects that I want to use as a preamp for recording. It has 1st-gen amp models, so I probably won’t use it for gain sounds, but for cleans with a lot of effects it should do well.

It has left & right audio outputs, selectable for -20 or +4, and I could run them into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with no problem. However, the VF-1 also has a coax S/PDIF output, so I’m wondering why go through the A/D on its output, and then immediately D/A the signals in the Scarlett? Why not keep it digital, straight into the computer.

The answer, of course, is that I’m running Reaper on a Dell laptop and it doesn’t have an S/PDIF input. So I ask you, how does one get a S/PDIF signal into a laptop, and is it worth the hassle over simply using audio connections?

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hmm. Well, the only way I’ve used to get from something with S/PDIF out to the computer is to go into an audio interface that has a TOSLINK input. You’d need a different interface to do that.

Now, whether it would be worth it is the question. I’d say not for an electric guitar because it’s really a pretty limited frequency range and a 2i4 is going to handle the a/d just fine.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did some searching around on the ‘net tonight and reached the same conclusion. Not worth the hassle.

4. DavidSchwab

DavidSchwab TDPRI Member

I used to run S/PDIF into my iMac from a Roland digital mixer, because the Mac has optical S/PDIF ports. But these days I just do USB on my iMac and my singer’s MacBook Pro.

That works fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.