Ryan Newman in a horrible crash

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tap4154, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yup that was a rough one!
    The good news is he conscious and talking to Doctors.
    that he lived through that is a tribute to the safety program
    that is built in to every car on the track

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

And for the record, the bump was intended to push him forward, aka bump drafting. In a bunched up field, this is what these guys resort to on the superspeedways to get out in front of each other. Basically, Blaney was trying to bump Newman past Hamlin and then use the momentum to make a quick move around Newman.

Terrible accident, and thankfully, the last I saw is that Newman, while still in the hospital, does not have "life threatening" injuries.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Newman is not the most handsome male form the Good Lord ever created, but he's a thick waisted, robust sort of guy and this, I think, has helped.

Some of you may remember some of his previous tumbles, and my impression was, he healed quickly and well. Some of these other guys like Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon and Dale, Jr., got beat up worse and recovered less quickly and in some respects were not physically 100% to be getting back in the car.

Many of the guys from Ryan's generation are already way flush with saved income. And they found it easier to retire I think. Although, they quit for various reasons. I still think Smoke quit because that hot headed kid stepped into the path of his car and got himself killed.

Jlwctn likes this.
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with you about why Tony Stewart may have quit. After that accident it seemed like he just lost something, and he never did well afterwards. I never blamed him a bit though, it was just a very unfortunate accident and the kid really made an unfortunate decision.

By the way on a NASCAR show today they said Newman is awake and talking with doctors and his family, so things are looking up I hope.

5. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

It seems odd that there's still no info on the extent of his injuries. I hope he's going to be alright.

Omiewise65 and tap4154 like this.
  6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I'd like to add a data point here. I don't see any input from someone who does or takes the risk you appear to think is unnecessary in life etc.

I have raced road motorcycles to a National level, raced Motocross to a National level and regional level until quite recently, Supermoto and now race cars, racing something for most of my life. Oh how many guitars that could have bought!

In all of those disciplines of motorsport, for me and of all the people I met and made friends with (a special friendship develops when you are racing wheel to wheel and trusting that person to not do something silly, particularly any form of motorcycle racing), not one had a death wish or did it for the thrill of speed as such.

Almost all do it because "Racing" and beating competition or mastering the machine is the thrill and ends up being akin to, or is, a drug addiction. Adrenalin beign the drug but based on racing, competition, mastering the machine etc. not speed or risking life and limb (whilst acknowledged, its pretty much ignored).

While there are obvious exceptions, Travis Pastrana being the most famous. I believe very few motorsport people participate in high risk, free fall, sky diving etc. Most would say "if it doesn't have a throttle or a brake, im not going near it"... for most motor racing people jumping out of a plane is completely illogical, the thrill is maintaining or gaining control, not voluntarily losing or giving it up.

I would also like to add that far from not wanting Red Bull to sponsor these type of events, it pleases me that people are willing to take these risks and feel the full high of life. I am not one that would do the mega high risk things but doing a 100 foot jump on a motocross bike is kinda fun.

Despite an undiganosed broken neck (dicovered inadvertantly years later healed), 3 ruptured discs.

ACL, MCL and Meniscus Knee surgery, broken thumb, Seperated shoulder, fractured both ankles and so on....I am waiting for my knee to heal and will be on a Motcross bike in the blink of an eye (that darned adrenalin addiction).

Despite having a throttle and brake, I do think the guys at the Isle of Man are crazy...not so much for the sport (I get that) but for the fact that they have raised their threshold of excitement and adrenalin production so high, nothing else matches it. Once you raise the threshold that high, you basically have to continue to go back to get the thrill or hit.

Continued particapation in that event IS a risk of life and limb at a very high level......they are more or less the heroin junkies of motorsport (IMO).

Anyway, sorry for the long spiel, the discussion of the why do we do it and how other people percieve it, intrigues me.

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

pLEASE , LETS NOT TALK ABOUT BLAME whoops sorry for shouting, 35 cars going 180- 190 miles an hour in bumper to bumper traffic, a minimum weight of a car that is allowed is 3,400 pounds. anyone that gets in car is at fault under those condition.
    So fault doesn't really have any place in a nascar discussion.
    I am greatly impressed by all of the safety equipment which is often revealed when a car is shredded in an accident. a look inside the cars when the driver is in the car reveal how much protective gear is all around the drivers.
    you might be safer racing a nascar than commuting in rush hour traffic :rolleyes: maybe?:D

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The real downside/upside is that in 10 years, they’re predicting less than half the audience to watch any horrible NASCAR crash...:confused:

drlucky likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

You're correct. I don't "like" what you're saying but I believe that's true. Something has to be done, to make these events more relatable.

Here. Some of the eldest kids of my cousins are heavily into working on cars and modifying them, but those born since 1995, they see no point in doing this. They visualize the Internal Combustion motor going away and they don't want to end up like Steam Locomotive enthusiasts or something. If you have never done any street racing or have never taken professional, "pro" quality driving instruction, or have never rebuilt the motor or even replaced the cylinder heads in your car, all this oval racing "stuff" is taken in as a very slow video game or something.

Look at this. I was having some tires from Tire Rack mounted at a shop, I think my first order with Tire Rack. And the guys at the tire shop raced on the weekends and we were talking and this gal I had along (typical of any youngster today) pretended to listen but not really. And so afterward she asking "when did you have surgery on your wrist"? I said "I haven't - why do you ask that". And she said "I thought you said you had a pin in your wrist". Then I had to explain it was a component in the motor of the car.

How much fun would watching football be if you had never held a football in your hands and thrown it to someone else? That's NASCAR's long term crux issue.

drlucky likes this.
  10. tap4154

Here's some good news via Twitter!

Opera Snapshot_2020-02-19_101605_twitter.com.png ERJz3vQWAAcZts4.jpg

11. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Jlwctn and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

dented, FLHT, Jlwctn and 8 others like this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Those last two pix made me smile and a little misty
    This is a tribute to racing safety

FLHT, Jlwctn, dkmw and 1 other person like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Mad Kiwi--

"Despite an undiganosed broken neck (dicovered inadvertantly years later healed), 3 ruptured discs.

ACL, MCL and Meniscus Knee surgery, broken thumb, Seperated shoulder, fractured both ankles and so on....I am waiting for my knee to heal and will be on a Motocross bike in the blink of an eye (that darned adrenalin addiction)."

When my son is 18 he can do whatever he wants and I can't stop him. But your litany of injuries despite being as careful as you can be is exactly why I would much prefer he get his adrenaline fix from riding roller coasters. I actually
    know a Navy Seal (from a CrossFit class I used to do) who has had many more severe injuries from motocross riding than he has ever had from his job.

But
    life is risky and we all take risks every day. One of the hard realities of being a parent is you can't actually protect your kids. Although you can hopefully increase the odds of their survival by raising them to at least think about
    risk/reward ratios and to try to make good decisions.

My wife loves riding horses at a high level-- dressage and some jumping, too. In my opinion getting on a horse is a pretty ludicrous thing to do for a hobby. Different if you need to do it for your job. But you can have the best
    trained horse in the world and then it sees a garter snake and the next thing you know you've been thrown off and busted your neck. Give me a mountain bike or motocross bike any day. At least I don't have to depend on the
    limited intelligence of a prey animal that evolution has molded to have a reflex to shy and run when it encounters anything that makes it uncomfortable.

So at the end of the day one person's acceptable risk is another person's, "dude you're crazy"....

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  15. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I watched that crash live and seriously thought it killed him. How someone survives that and is walking around a couple days later is amazing. Props to those who design the safety features on those cars, pretty incredible.

16. tap4154

Agreed! I was beginning to think amputations, paralyzed... Amazing to see him up and walking so soon!

17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’m so glad to see this have a happy ending:):)

And @Mad Kiwi, I couldn’t agree more. Absolutely no one I know who drives for sport does it because they want to engage in risky behavior. They may have a tolerance for risk, but it’s that feeling when you get it right that keeps you coming back for more. It’s hard to describe to those that don’t do it.

I surfed all my life and was shocked when I found that surfing was considered a “thrill sport”. That was the last thing on my mind when I took up the lifestyle in 1968. Now that doesn’t mean to say that I didn’t take a bunch of risks later on - taking off in front of dry reef, riding places where your board could get destroyed at the end of your leash, getting rag-dolled at Sunset, I did my share...

18. boris bubbanov

Ryan Newman goes home!

That is just amazing. There's nothing quite like it, to see this hard working guy headed home with his kids.

To everyone at Halifax, thank you so much. You guys are incredible.

dented, tap4154, FLHT and 2 others like this.
  19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Ha, I have a 4 and a half year old, cute as a button little girl. The question re horses and motorbikes is one I am pondering myself. She is VERY shy so I want something that will give her a bit of confidence like that.

Financially and risk wise it's an easy "NO" but......

Watching all the kids who are invested in a sport through their teenage years, Motocross, horse riding/competing etc. epsecially like these with high fun/excitment levels, really impressed me how focused thye were and not in to drink, drugs, partying etc. Motocross especially, it is a mega fitness and constant practice involved sport to be any good.

There is a lot to be said about that side of it....So I am left with an open mind about it, hopefully encouraging her to be involved in something to help her remain grounded through those "wild" years.

Good discussion all, thanks :)

Jlwctn likes this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Team sports add the benefit of learning how to deal with others in a team environment. Huh, since we are on TDPRI, I wonder whether people that have played
    on sports teams in their youth make better band mates-- work as a team, respect the abilities of the better players, contribute your part, do your best, take
    coaching criticism well, help pump up team spirit, etc.

Luckily, even some individual sports can have a team element. For example, a high school cross country team depends on the overall
    results of all of its runners in order to win the meet. So even if the star runner can win the race by a country mile he still needs to root for his slower team-mates and
    hope they earn enough points with their placings so the team can win.

trev333 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.