1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ry Cooder's Original Blue Strat/Coodercaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by srblue5, Dec 4, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Not sure if this has already been covered but I saw a post on social media this afternoon that Ry Cooder's original '67 baby blue Strat (i.e. the original Coodercaster) is up for sale. The very same one with a matching (large) headstock, fingerboard binding, and the usual Cooder mods (I think a Bigsby pickup and tailpiece, as well as a Guyatone pickup, Tele knobs, 4-way switching). Did anybody else see that or am I hallucinating/dreaming?

Besides really wanting it and not being able to afford it with my total income from this or my last lifetime (lol), it feels like the end of an era -- Cooder parting with his original Coodercaster.

Then again, I read once in Fretboard Journal that he didn't really like that guitar, even though he played it and worked on it for years. He definitely prefers his sunburst Strat for slide, while the blue one has flat wounds and is used mainly for chords.

FenderGyrl and 24 track like this.
  2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I thought I read years ago that he thought his original Coodercaster was magical and that he had made similar guitars that didn't sound as good. He liked it so much he was terrified something would happen to it.

It must have been a different guitar I guess.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Only 150,K

ucX4sWhj7vHBEDtmHEE5iL-970-80.jpg

Treynor, BuckSatan and FenderGyrl like this.
  4. 24 track

with the way social activities are going you are going to see alot of sacred instruments come to lite none of these guys are working right now

FenderGyrl and bgmacaw like this.
  5. bplavelle

bplavelle TDPRI Member

I wish I could share a picture, but I regrettably sold the Custom Shop version of the original Strat before mods - it was beautiful

The story I heard was that he (or maybe his parents) bought it in '66 (he would have been 19) - when they saw it hanging in a music store (amazing in itself as it was such a one-off, Sonic Blue, matching headstock, binding). I believe I read that Ry said if he had any idea what that guitar would have been worth now in unmodified condition he could have or would have trashed something else.

I ordered it through Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL - great guys. I remember I asked them to tell The Custom Shop to make me a '66 Strat that looked like that guitar should look now, just like when Ry bought it.

They told me that if they did that there was a good chance they'd turn it down because it might be seen as a Ry Cooder Signature or something. So I just ordered it will the features of the original and they did a great job. It was the "Closet Classic" finish.

Once again, idiot me sold it before I ever took a picture of it - talk about the one that got away............. I really miss that one

FenderGyrl likes this.
  6. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

That's a gorgeous guitar!

7. bplavelle

bplavelle TDPRI Member

before it became The Coodercaster.jpg

anybody have a guess as to when this was taken? MusicMan amp make me think 77-81 range?

8. bplavelle

bplavelle TDPRI Member

answered my own question - 1977 on UK's Olde Grey Whistle Test

as much as this is killing me to look at as I yearn for the return of that guitar, you have to watch this....

9. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

In the same Fretboard Journal interview, he went back and forth about it, calling it "tight and boxy"-sounding stock (which is something I've found with one of my Strats) and "harsh" until he softened the string tension with the Bigsby. Later, when the interviewer asked him why he didn't just part with it, he said he never could, both for sentimental reasons and because he liked the way the neck profile felt (probably very comfortable for him given how long he played it for).

Very true. Sad.

Oh man, a mid-60s Strat reissue with matching large headstock and fingerboard binding is one of my bucket list guitars! Preferably in surf green or sonic blue. I read somewhere that Brad Whitford of Aerosmith also has (or had) an original one of those Strats probably from the same run that Cooder's came from. I wonder what finish his was/is.

24 track likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I'm also seeing some touring backing musicians and smaller touring acts selling off a lot of gear, probably for the same reason. No tours, no bucks.

24 track likes this.
  11. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I can't find the interview right now but I did read (or hear on Youtube--can't remember) him talking about his days with Captain Beefheart. After they got a record deal, the label assisted them in obtaining new gear. He chose the blue Strat simply because he liked the color.

12. 24 track

I dont know if you know who Junkie XL is , he is a producer and does sound tracks for movies in hollywood , check ou his studio , it is mind blowing and guess what its all up for sale on Reverb this is nuts , synths, Amps ,guitars ,pedals , drums . check out his studio tour!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.