Ry Cooder - Let's Have A Ball - the complete movie now on YouTube!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by beach bob, Jun 20, 2011.

1. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

My bud just let me know that the complete movie Ry Cooder - Let's Have A Ball is now on youtube. Not the individual tracks, but the whole enchilada front to back, including a cool intro by Ry. The band is hand picked, smoking hot, and they raise a hell of a beautiful racket. Cue it up and listen as you post at the TDPRI. Fantastic stuff!

With thanks to YT poster Iwebender... here's his blurb:

This is the complete show from the Catalyst in Santa Cruz in March 1987, featuring Ry Cooder and the Moula Banda Rhythm Aces - as filmed by Les Blank and shown here in the UK on Channel 4's The Late Shift. The film, as far as I know, was never officially released on DVD - and this post is by request (and because YouTube now allows me to upload much bigger files). It's a fantastic set, all of which has already been posted by mbroders. Here, though, you get the lot, including Ry's intro. Enjoy! www.rycooderstuff.co.uk... [Ry Cooder - guitar, vocals; Jim Keltner - drums; Van Dyke Parks - keyboards; Jorge Calderon - bass; Flaco Jimenez - accordion; Miguel Cruiz - percussion; Steve Douglas - sax; George Bohannon - trombone; Singers: Bobby King, tenor; Terry Evans, baritone; Arnold McCuller, tenor; Willie Green Jr, bass]

2. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip, bob. I've been enjoying the individual clips, but it's great to see this show in one piece! Wish I'd been there.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Great, great concert...thanks for posting. Ry has always been impressive to me-he sets high standards for himself and has a personal vision of musical excellence he pursues...as opposed to fame and fortune. The guy is a ethnic music professor with a slide guitar. I imagine him and Doug Sahm would have gotten along fine!

4. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Great find ! Thanks !

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for that, beach bob. I'm gonna watch the whole thing this evening.

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too!

My band was probably the only one in the country to cover Cooder stuff in the late 70's/early 80's. Loved him back then, not so much now.

Saw him twice when he visited my country - awesome!

7. JessRey

JessRey Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting this. It's just what my day needed.

8. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Queuing it up, I have his Chavez Ravine album, I really like the vibe he sets up on it. IMO a work of art.

9. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Beautiful stuff! Thank you Bob!

/ Tony

10. Iain

Iain Tele-Meister

I have the film, on DVD, having recorded

it from UK telly, onto video, then converted it. Great stuff.

Saw him with that band, in Edinburgh, and before that tour, too. Saw him again last year(?), with Nick Lowe on bass, and liked Ry even better in the trio format (didn't hurt that I really enjoy NL's stuff, too), in that he had less clutter around his singing and playing.

wonderful musician!

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the great post Bob!
    I'm enjoying it now.

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've only seen about 35 min. of it so far, but I loved every minute! I especially love his background singers - three of them were in Oslo with him in 1980.

The Moula Banda Rhythm Aces period is my second favorite Cooder period, only surpassed by his early years (early/mid 70's).

This is from 1974 with Bobby King and Jim Keltner already in his band. And I like Russ Titelman's bass playing better than Jorge Calderon's - more authoritative in a way. The only thing I miss is a slide solo ...

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks beach bob -great post. Have been a fan of Ry since 1980. The arguments still out on who wrote/played the hugely famous pieces of country on Honkey Tonk Women. My money's always been on Ry as he played on that song way back in the late 60's.

14. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Oooh, thanks, great stuff, downloading right this moment!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.