1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rutters Straight Compensated Saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Fuggle, Jul 31, 2019.

1. local

local NEW MEMBER!

Try Callaham compensated saddles they intonate perfect and will last forever.

2. Big_Vig

Big_Vig TDPRI Member

The point I was trying to make is that with the cylindrical shape, no matter how much the string wraps around the barrel after the contact point, is that the straight string (like a straight line) to the contact point on the barrel (like a circle). It is like a straight line being tangent to a circle in geometry. This is less of a contact area than a slot which may or may not be curved and can make side contact with the string, especially with bends or vibrato motion. Only my opinion and an interesting topic.

Texicaster likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

It is an interesting topic..... Thing is I doubt Leo gave it much though and needed the size we have to be able to add adjustment screws.

Acoustic guitars generally have very slight contact at saddle. You'd never see an acoustic bridge like a Telecaster barrel bridge! LP's use a similar, to acoustic, thinner contact and Strats just a bit less than Tele.

It certainly doesn't effect the tone as I would expect. I would think wrapping a string 90° around a rod would rob tone.

There is something about break angle. Acoustic guitars sound worse with less break angle.

I don't have the back ground to figure it out but like asking the questions!

:D

TEX

El Tele Lobo and Big_Vig like this.
  4. Big_Vig

Big_Vig TDPRI Member

Tex: You raise good points. I use my 3-barrel bridge plate top load string holes so there isn't much wrap around as through body stringing produces. I have tried it both ways and don't hear much difference, if any. And I might be over-thinking the whole topic. Hahaha! Big Vig

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Is there anybody who can really, honestly hear the difference between compensated and regular saddles in terms of actually playing in tune? If so, what kind of music? I have both and I can't tell. If you can, you must have very, very accurate fingering and a light fretting touch because my mitts grasping the strings take the notes out more cents than old fashioned saddles do. I think this is one of those "if it ain't broke" situations for me.

Texicaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Only guys I know off hand that play(ed) top loaders is/was Jim Campilongo and Jimmy Page.

Both comment how it does effect the tone. Can't recall Page's exact comments but JC's is along the line of "rubbery sounding".

Both got/get some unique tones with those '59's....

I dunno.....

TEX

7. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

I would think so.

8. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

Not to be argumentative but objective, the barrel bridge pieces have been known for decades not to intonate properly, and Leo knew it was an issue as he never designed a bridge piece like that again. Case in point being the Strat had individual bridge pieces.

There have been a few people spouting the brilliance of this idea, BUT I'm inclined to believe it was his first effort at getting the electric guitar to play in tune. He would have found it was far more sensitive than an acoustic guitar perhaps due to the volume?

I'm told by my luthier the corrected barrel pieces still don't intonate as well as single bridge pieces. This sort of bridge has been adopted by different artists likeKeith Richards and Tommy Emmanuel.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's obvious that that the basic, straight three saddle design does not intonate as well as a regular one, and the six saddle gets you better still. Anybody with a strobe tuner can confirm it. My question was - can you hear the difference? By my experience we are talking about 2 cents difference at worst (a plain G), and my sense of pitch isn't good enough to hear that. Especially since an unwound G is, in general, out of tune all over the place.
    I can hear how an Earvana nut makes a guitar better intoned, but I can't hear how the comp saddles make a difference.

10. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Personally, I can't. But hey, as a hobby builder I know many players who can. I used to get frustrated when they said that this guitar or that had intonation issues but I've learned to trust their ears. By the way, not every player who can hear minute pitch changes are actually bothered by it. Some are really obsessive about it and I find that changing strings is a real undertaking for those. Some only observe and are ok with a generally ok intonation. Yet a very small minority can actually mostly compensate for slightly off intonation with their playing by altering the tension of their fretting hand. It's unreal.

11. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have them on all of my Teles. Great tone and the compensation makes it a no-brainer to set the intonation right on the money. I use the brass ones.

12. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

Well, I installed the Rutters today and I can say that the intonation is almost dead on. I think my ears can tell the difference, but my PolyTune can for sure.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Big_Vig

Big_Vig TDPRI Member

With playing string bends, vibrato, and slides I try not to play too many notes exactly chromatically at their defined pitch frequency. Add a vibrato tailpiece and even more notes sounded aren't exactly chromatic. I do try to get the guitar intonation close to exact and can do it almost always with the old plain 3-barrel bridge, but when playing and trying to show off my chops, I am playing a lot "out of tune", but it just sounds so good doing it. Most of the Guitar Gods seem to play that way, and I don't consider myself to be one of them but I like to try.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.