Rutters Compensated Saddle Love

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mateo2006, Jun 3, 2020.

1. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

https://ruttersguitars.com/rutters-brass-with-aluminum-ea-straight-comp-saddles

saddles.jpg

There is lots of love out there for these saddles and I'm going to add mine to it.

Initially, I have to say I really didn't feel much of a push to move to a compensated bridge. I had a traditional Fender bridge and local guys at the Twelfth Fret Pro Shop here in Toronto seemed to be able to get it set up well enough. Besides, that guitar sounded phenomenal with wicked unamplified sustain on the high strings and I initially was not inclined to mess with it.

CC tele.jpg

But me being, well, me; I couldn't resist messing with a good thing. So I decided to route the bridge for a CC bridge pickup and was required to go for a shorty bridge. I got one of these with the "slanted" compensated bridges from All Parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.allparts.com/products/tb-5126-vintage-style-short-bridge-for-telecaster

Once again, I could get the bridge in good intonation but I wasn't crazy about having the strings pass over the screw holes. I could adjust them so they didn't buzz but without string grooves it took a little fussing and did not facilitate perfect string distance when involving a fast string change. Once again, not a really big deal and I would have continued on that way for some time.

But the tele body made it a pinewood boat anchor of 10+ lbs and I decided to change out to a lightweight ash body with belly, forearm and heel contours.
    IMG_20200416_202336.jpg

I decided to go for some Rutters compensated saddles while I was at it.

I have to say I am blown away by how much better these babies are!

I put these new saddles on the tele and got the guitar perfectly intonated faster than I could with a tune-a-matic bridge. - And the saddles not only align on straight angles but are in tune almost in a straight line with each other making the orientation for intonation very intuitive. I have never had that with another tele bridge. Awesome!

IMG_20200601_181911.jpg

These grooved unslanted, lined-up saddles allowed me to re-setup my guitar better in minutes than I had my tele previously set up, with the AllParts compensated bridge, after having opportunities to subtly tweak it over several months.

Plus it all comes with zero compromise in tone!

(I have to say all three of the saddle sets sounded good with the AllParts bridge coming a close second to the Rutters and the Fender.)

Rutters' design just seems inherently better. Every tele should have saddles like this. I think every one of mine will.

I was almost scared off as I had read about one fellow saying he had a problem with the grooves buzzing but he seemed the exception to the rule. Luckily I have no evidence of that here.

I really see no downside to this design at all.

I ended up going for a control plate with a slanted switch. (No problem whatsoever in putting a 5-way switch in, unlike what I had read on some forums) and I put a nocaster knob for the switch - which I have since taken off.

IMG_20200601_180519.jpg

I have to say, in my case, Rutters wasn't that easy to deal with in that they wrote my address wrong forcing the post office to return it to sender and then it took me more than a month of unreplied emails to get them to resend it to me. I reconfirmed my address with them and it came to me lacking an apartment number again - But knowing what day it would arrive, I intercepted the postman before he could send it back. For my next order, I re-entered my address in their website with the apt number and the exact thing happened again.

That having been said, I would do it again as both the control plate and the saddles are superior designs.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    younkint, nojazzhere and jonnyfez like this.
  2. GeneB

GeneB TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nice informative post ... thank you for including the links.

3. BrantleyCoker

BrantleyCoker TDPRI Member

I have 4 sets of these saddles! My favorite by far.

4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Marc makes very nice stuff! Still loving the build he did for me.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard a lot of compliments on Rutters, but I'd also recommend the Bensonite fat compensated saddles, sold by Kmaxbrady, a member here. (sold on Reverb) They are well made and especially comfortable......and priced better than Rutters.....:)
    But I'm most impressed with the Charlie Christian-style pickups you have. Who makes those?

6. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I can't tell you how many sets of Rutters compensated saddles I've used but it's been a lot. I've had some Teles intonate very closely with a standard set but with Rutters they are spot on. These are the best things I've ever used.

younkint likes this.
  7. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

There are a few companies. Mine are from Lollar.

This thread has lots info on the alternatives.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/one-cc-pickup-thread-to-rule-them-all.1943553/

There is one company in Britain that uses the huge original magnets. Those aren't very practical for a solid body.

I am very happy with the Lollars. Actually, it is my favourite pickup ever.

For a neck pickup they are a great alternative to an articulate humbucker than doesn't move into gain so fast.

Tim Lerch's videos are probably responsible for most of the recent converts to the Lollar CC pickup

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.