1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rutters Cold Rolled Compensated Broadcaster Saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RifleSlinger, Nov 24, 2019.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Steel can add upper harmonics to your tone, which adds treble but not shrillness. That’s often what we describe as « more open with more clarity ».
    I too put steel saddles on my esquire and like them very much.

It may be like on the Glendale’s I put on mine: they are angled differently so that the height adjustment screws point towards the neck at an angle and they do not fall onto the bridge plate screws when setting up the intonation.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I change saddles all the time without changing strings. Which is almost one of the reasons I have installed 3 barrel saddles on a could of Stratocasters (plus a ton of Squier 51s and other 6 saddle guitars).

As for intonation, it sure is hard to post an internet image that shows whether intonation will again be spot on, or not but anyway, intonation doesn't change tone. If it is off our noses wrinkle, but honestly IMO the tone didn't suffer - just the pitch.

I only change the strings once I am thoroughly satisfied as to the setup. Sometimes wait even longer than that.

3. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I put them on under the same strings and played them after each saddle install. It was pretty easy to tell a difference. I measured my old setup, action and intonation, with dial calipers so I had the new saddles really close, action wise, going in, and the intonation was about the same as the old set.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Exactly, one of those myths we guitar players invent to justify the bucks we spend.

I have seen it said that rosewood fingerboards makes sound darker and then elsewhere seen where it makes sound brighter. Nonsense, can't be both ways.
    Don't try to convince me of these silly myths. I will play what I like regardless of internet opinions and everyone else can play what they like.

gmann and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  5. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I like the tone using steel too. I like the note clarity and separation that to my ear, steel imparts. I don't get too caught up in the tone debate of different metals, I just like what sounds right to me ;).

Went to all steel bridge, saddles, and tailpiece on my LP about 7 or 8 years ago, and I put a set of steel saddles on my latest Tele build which is my current #1 :).

On the Tele, I used the compensated steel saddles that Kenny sells at Philly Luthier. He sells two sizes, 1/4" and 5/16" diameter. I use the 5/16". Whoever is making them for Kenny got the offset design for intonation just right for 10-46 strings.

g

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

Good brass is an even handed deliverer of sounds across a wide range of frequencies. Less "notch" than some of these other choices.

Good brass is brighter than crummy brass. Lead content is the bane of certain kinds of cheap machine stock, whether steel or brass or bronze, etc.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Planning to get some of those Philly Luthier steel 5/16" for my current refin project.

8. boris bubbanov

I think the main issue with canted threading on brass barrels is, people don't sweat the contact end and the plate gets scratched up one way or another. Some of these grub screws have a delrin or nylon insert in the end - that's not a great idea. As long as the contact isn't so minimal the barrel skootches around, I wouldn't worry about it.

No, when it comes to contact, I think the amount a type of contact the string makes with the saddle matters more. I don't like a knife edge but I for sure don't like it when the string is basically wrapping around the saddle. I think the true limiting factor on barrel size/mass is making sure the E or A string and the barrel don't "become one".

9. boris bubbanov

One thing I tried, was using a barrel for the E-A string that was made longer than normal, almost making contact with the plate edge. And I moved the saddle height screw outboard so it wouldn't come into conflict with the plate mount screw. Another approach is a flat, bevel side screw with a very small Torx drive. Expands the effective area you can have the height screw fall on.

Some day one of the guys will just leave the 4th mount screw off their custom plate altogether. 3 screws works fine on anything except paulownia, pulp basswood and other punk wood.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

so, all this should be measurable

I have Rutters straight comp brass and steel, totally satisfied, but they're on different kinds of teles. comparison is impossible.

can anyone settle this by putting a guitar on a scope and switching saddles? same strings, same everything, etc.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ha.

I removed some brass saddles once, because I didn't like the dull tone. Replaced 'em with Rutters Broadcasters. Love 'em. Measurable? No. Likeable? Yes.

Would other saddles have worked as well? Probably, who knows? But jeez, who has the time? :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.