Rustoleum 2x Gloss clear over 2x satin. Has anyone done this?

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
I'd probably use fine steel wool or the synthetic stuff to smooth areas out. FYI the Rustoleum stuff is no acrylic or lacquer, it's enamel. I highly suggest testing the drawings on scrap painted just like the guitar. I suspect the acrylic might lift the enamel paint of the Rustoleum, no matter how much it has cured.
Thanks for the heads up, we'll do some tests. Do you think this lifting would happen instantly, or could it happen even after a long time?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Here is my $0.02 - I make model rockets and typically paint them with Rustoleum enamels. Usually starting with just enough light coats of Rustoleum primer to make a uniform coat. Then I typically use a gloss color if I want to apply decals, then overspray everything with satin or even flat CLEAR because it hides imperfections. Anyway, sometimes I get wrinkling within minutes of applying the clear. Same brand. As near as I can figure, the clear seems a little "hotter" and can cause wrinkling/lift if:
  1. The clear is applied too heavily.
  2. The color base has not cured long enough.
My solution is to wait at least 48 hours before applying the clear. When I spray the clear, I LIGHTLY mist the first couple of coats. I wouldn't even consider them "coats". I let each pass dry for at least an hour. So after 2-3 LIGHT passes such as this, I start spraying normal coats, but I let each dry for about 12-24 hours.

So, my recommendation is before spraying your clear, make sure the color is hard and you can't smell many solvents. If it is still gassing off, it ain't fully cured. Set it out in the sun and it will usually speed the process. When you switch to clear, start with VERY LIGHT coats at first.

Also, with rattle cans, it is always a good idea to warm them up somewhat by sitting them in luke-warm water for a while. You tend to get a more uniform spray pattern that way with less spattering.

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
My solution is to wait at least 48 hours before applying the clear. When I spray the clear, I LIGHTLY mist the first couple of coats. I wouldn't even consider them "coats".
Thanks for sharing your procedure. Are you sanding the color coat first, or just going straight to these mist coats?

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the heads up, we'll do some tests. Do you think this lifting would happen instantly, or could it happen even after a long time?

For me it happened with in hours, it looked good after spraying and then when I came back later in the day it looked like a wrinkly old man.