rust oleum sonic blue like??

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by kurtmanifest1, Dec 13, 2019.

1. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Hi there, I´m attempting to refinish an old guitar body in sonic blue...(billie joe green day like), I don´t have acces to a lot of brands but I found out that rust oleum are pretty easy to find. Is there any particular color that will give me the desire look? spa blue? serenity blue?...anyone familiar with these?
    thanks in advance!!!

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I used Rust Oleum X2 which has primer mixed in with the color. If I remember right it was Sea Foam, kinda blue green color. It went on kinda heavy but laid down pretty nice. It was just fine for what I needed.
    Just make sure to shake it up good and make sure it’s nice and warm, the body your painting especially.
    Good luck,

Chunkocaster and kurtmanifest1 like this.
  3. kurtmanifest1

Seam foam it’s kinda too green for what I’m after but thanks, I found spa blue, serenity blue and oceanic something...

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Is Duplicolor available at your local auto parts stores?
    Lots of good lacquer choices there.

5. kurtmanifest1

I´ll look into it...thanks!!!

6. kurtmanifest1

I can go to an auto part store and ask for something similar the thing is I wouldn´t know what kind of paint to ask for....I was told rust oleum worked on guitar bodies and they seem pretty easy to find

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to speak out of turn, not knowing your location Kurt.
    Rustoleum 2x is enamel which doesn't polish very well while Duplicolor is lacquer.
    Best of luck to ya.

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I sprayed a strat in Rustoleum 2x in the last week. Heirloom white satin with the 2x gloss clear. The clear goes on too thick and runs easily leaving yellow discoloration. I switched to a different cheaper acrylic clear for the final coats and had much better results. I would not buy the 2x clear again. No wet sanding on this, assembled 4 hours after spraying the final coat and hand buffed with meguiars scratch x and wet look polish the day after.

20191211_002334.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    kurtmanifest1 and howardlo like this.
  9. kurtmanifest1

So, excuse my ignorance, but...what kind of paint should I get then???

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The rustoleum 2x color coat went on thick but was fine. It's just the 2x clear I didn't really like. It's usable but I preferred a acrylic clear I got from a auto store called supercheap auto. It was their own brand so you may not have that chain available where you are. Septone gloss acrylic clear would be similar and duplicolor gloss clear.

You can use the 2x gloss clear but be cautious of runs, sag and when done hang it without touching for at least a week.

kurtmanifest1 and NateD81 like this.
  11. Gardo

Gardo TDPRI Member

I would go for automotive paint as well. But the key to a good job is surface prep . At the least wet sand and wipe it down with solvent.

12. kurtmanifest1

Thanks for your replies, I´m aware of the prep it takes. The thing I didn´t know it the kind of pain and specially the colour itseld. There´s not many options on a can unless is prepared. The closest thing I came acros to sonic blue was satin aqua by rust oleum but that colour it´s not being imported down here

13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Just so you know. Leo and other builders didn't use nitrocellulose lacquer because they thought it sounded better. It was because it was widely used and available in the automotive industry, had cool colors and dried quick. That's the only reason. Today the same applies but in your case you don't have the equipment to spray poly urethane which is used. So in this case I'd say stay with an automotive grade acrylic lacquer. Although without knowing your region that may be a problem. I've painted thousands of cars and hundreds of guitars over the years. And yes I have the equipment to spray poly but stick with acrylic on guitars just due to the cost factor in most cases. Thing you need to watch out for with Rust-oleum is a lot of that crap is water based enamel. Might be fine for painting your lawn furniture but crap on guitars or cars.

howardlo and kurtmanifest1 like this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Dupli-Color Perfect Match was easy to apply and comes in a large array of colors- my local Pep Boys has a rack full of them to choose from.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/brands/dupli-color-864/perfect-match-3392

Clear is important- I wound up getting clouds in mine from humidity, and a year later I haven't gotten around to sanding and respraying. If I hadn't screwed that up, it'd have been finished long ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.