1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Russian tube?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Mar 3, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Anyone ever built an amp using the Russian 6P1P tetrode? Looks like an interesting tube and supplies of NOS are inexpensive and seem to be pretty large.

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recall that being frequently discussed over at 18watt.com years back, before it became a conglomerate...

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My living room amp uses a pair of 6P1P-EV, one per channel, for a few Watts of truly engaging sound. They're more or less a 6V6 in a small bottle. For squits and giggles, I bought a pair of socket adaptors to allow me to run a pair of 6V6 in their place. Any change in sound I detected could easily be put down to cognitive bias on my part. The 6P1P valves, again via a cheap adaptor from Ebay, also work beautifully in my Champ-a-like. Curiosity sated, programming has now returned to normal.

They're cheap, plentiful, sound as good as any 6V6 ( with which they're electrically compatible, just Noval rather than Octal based ) and ripe for the picking.

I have a rough plan for another Soviet Special based on the 6F1P as the pre-amp ( it's a pentode-triode ) feeding a 6P1P.

Here's the schematic for my living room amp ( one channel of ). It wouldn't take much to 'Champ' up that 6N2P and make a little screamer our comrades would be proud of.

Attached Files:

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen lots of Russian pages about them, with schematics and so on.

Seems really similar to an EL84, but I found a data sheet, maximum 250V on the anode and screen grid.

6. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

I recently built an amp for my friend with a pair of the 6P1P-EV based on my high gain design. I have the plates at just under 300V and the screens at 275V. He runs it through a 12" cab with an 80's era Eminance speaker of uncertain provenance. That thing sounds great.

7. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

The last couple amps I built used 6AQ5’s for the power and I really like them. I like that the lower voltage allows a smaller (physical size) PT which can make for a more compact amp.

I went onto the eBay looking for 6AQ5’s and the 6P1P kept popping up. The former is a 7 pin and the later is a 9 pin but electronically they are equivalent and the literature says that you can use the same schematic and values so all my R&D is not wasted.

I ordered a small pile from Russia. Wish me luck!

Commodore 64 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.