1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Russian tube availability

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Viejo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Does anyone have any information, as to whether or not US and European "sanctions" against Russia for the Crimean takeover,are going to halt import of Russian made tubes?

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure how long this thread will last, but I'm curious now, too. Might be a good idea to buy a couple extra if you like them. ;)

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

IMO: It's a very good question... and not out of line at all (providing nobody starts talking politics)

It's not just the Sovtek Tubes in question - I believe they make tubes under many other names as well. There are a few people on these forum that know what is coming out of the Russian factories - hopefully they can dive in with a list....

IMO - Most "sellers" buy from "suppliers". There is likely enough stock in inventory to last a few years... Whether or not we need more time is too political to discuss ;)

5. starlighter2

starlighter2 TDPRI Member

probably not a bad idea if your really worried about supply
    or more so prices being (possibly Falsely) forced up from fear of supplies dwindling

As far as I know its China or the olde Eastern Block countries
    the tubes are liable to come from regardless of Golden Age Brand names printed on them.... the new stuff I mean

its a valid enough Question, on supply
    (just not the reason that may cause it to be asked)

So I'll stay out of the politics of the situation
    as I agree thats not the point of the OP's Thread

6. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Slightly political - but my opinion:

I don't think our current administration has what it takes to administer any sanctions that mean anything.

I wouldn't worry too much about this much at this time.

If it is an issue - maybe what we should do is contact our favorite tube vendors now and get them to stock up - really stock up - so there is at least a supply while things die down again.

Also - I suppose that if you ARE worried about it as far as tube supplies go - order a bunch of your fav tubes and you are good to go for a while.

Make music - not war.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I like Czech Power tubes...Russian rectifier tubes and NOS preamp tubes..

8. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been avoided ANY purchases from Russian or Ukrainian vendors lately.

Considering the problems in that region, one has to wonder if postal service from the Ukraine will be interrupted in the near future?

9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, we're talking not just "Sovtek" or "EH" branded tubes, but the Mullard, Tung-Sol, Genalex, and Svetlana (not SED) reissues.

I personally have enough tubes (old and new production) to feed my current amps for a long time, so this is strictly a "wait and see" situation in my case. ;)

10. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Czech? If you refer to JJ's they are made in Slovakia.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, my bad
    ------------------
    JJ Electronic
    A. Hlinku 4
    02201 Cadca
    Slovak Republic

12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you should have to apologize. For people of our generation (age) they were a single country for the first 30+ years of our life (Czechoslovakia).

13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

True. OCD on my part.

14. bruus

bruus TDPRI Member

As far as I have heard there are NO plans of making a general embargo on russian products - so I would not worry about that.
    Not postal services either.
    The politics - that's another case:(

15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

This is why I try to support JJ whenever I can. Although I do love the Shuguang EL34B's.

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Expect an uninterrupted supply. Scare tactic hype to the contrary is just hype.

An interesting factoid: NYU did an archeological dig at the Fresh Kills landfill in Staten Island. An interesting footnote: "Kill" is apparently Dutch for an inlet or estuary, another word for "fjiord". This dates back to when the earliest settlers bought the whole shootin' match from the Lenni Lenape for a box of beads.

Apparently there was a "beef shortage" in the early '60s. Archeologists found the beef shortage coincides oddly with unusually high quantities of spoiled beef found in the landfill from the same time frame. Conspiracy theories aside because the beef wasn't one big lump... it was smaller packages evenly distributed in the garbage discarded during and shortly after the shortage.

See... people stock up on things they don't need when faced with an anticipated shortage. The surplus may be discarded at a later date.

17. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I ordered a matched quad of 6P6S tubes out of a private seller in Ukraine a few months ago. These were OTK marked military surplus tubes tested for ruggedness and burnt in, and like many sellers on eBay, this was just a random citizen who came across a case of a few dozen tubes, so there is a supply, and at that point, the Ukrainian postal service shipped it promptly and my tubes arrived in a decent amount of time. One of the tubes had a getter break off in the tube during shipment, but I got a partial refund so all is good. The tubes should remain being available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.