Russian 6P14P valves (EL84 equivalent)..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by johnbaz, Jul 14, 2016.

1. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Hi all

I have a Marshall DSL401 that needs revalving on the power amp (It's own ar all burned ), I read up about rebiassing then ordered these Russian EL84 type tubes, They came so I tried them in place but alas, The glass bulb part is too fat to go through the hole in the case o_O

Has anyone else found this with Russian valves?

The combo..

[​IMG]

The burnt valves..

[​IMG]

Inside the actual amp was insanely clean, I think someone has been inside and cleaned it!! :( Not a speck of dust inside!!

I thought about enlarging the case holes but then decided i'd take it in for a techie to do the job..>

John :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest NOT enlarging those holes.

johnbaz likes this.
  3. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

I decided a couple of years ago against enlarging them!! o_O

4. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Ahh!

I meant taking it to a techie to revalve the amp- I just realised it looked like I was going to ask the amp fella to enlarge the holes!!

Sorry, My bad ;)

5. Wally

Okay....so...this dilemma is two years old? This is the first time a zombie post existed with the first post in a thread, ime!!! lol...you got me. I'll be cautious when reading your posts from now on, John. (;^)
    As for the question of ever having had this problem, it is a problem I will never have since I don't buy amps with tube sockets mounted in the PCB...and therefore the tubes won't have to pass through a hole to get to that board-mounted socket.

johnbaz likes this.
  6. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Hi Wally

The amp was relegated top the spare room where it was forgotten about, I bought a Fender Mustang as the 150w Line 6 was a bit of a lump to move about and had too much Ooomph for bedroom playing!! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The Mustang..

[​IMG]

I ended up buying a handy little Vox which takes batteries so there's one less cable to trip over!!

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't know what a 'zombie post' is and I can't imagine why you would have to watch meo_O

Being from another continent, I don't know your terminology, Sorry :(

John...

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Has nothing to do with UK vs USA, it's just internet slang for when someone answers a post that was posted years before.

8. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Ahh!

Cheers :)

9. Wally

A zombie thread is one that is pullled out of the past and 'brought to life' again. In this case due to your acknowledged contorted use of the language, there was confusion as to when your consideration of enlarging the holes took place and what had gone on with the amp. Two years ago, you had considered enlarging the holes....so, from my point of view, I find a bit of humor in the fact that your very first post brought up a subject that was---according to you----two years old. I responded to a brand new zombie post! A zombie was BORN....not brought back into the living world! A first, ime.

"I can't imagine why you would have to watch meo_O".....

And...hey, if you don't want my responses to your post, that can happen, too! I meant nothing but interest with my first post and a bit of humor in the second. Maybe I've been here too long, and it is your turn.

johnbaz likes this.
  10. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Please PM me if you still have the 6P14P valves. I recently acquired an older Dr Z Maz 18 JR and the current specification calls for 6P14P's. The amp is currently running GT E84M's (it came that way) and sounds fine, but I'd like to know what the Dr has found in the Soviet valves.

11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

GT E84M's are likely identical to EL84M's other modern Russian heavy duty EL84 equivalents which are all practically identical to 6P14P tubes. I have a Maz 38 and am planning to make a small bulk order of 6P14P's if I get an opportunity. Perhaps a group buy would be adventitious. I could even test the tubes before sharing.

12. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Hi Wally

I've not posted about the amp on here before, I only joined a few days ago! I only remembered about the amp just before I posted the thread though it was a couple of years ago since I took an interest in the Marshall!

I apologise for not understanding what a zombie post is/was, It's not a term i've come across before! :oops:

Kind regards, John :)

Wally likes this.
  13. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

Hi Ed

I'm not sure what I did with them after I found they wouldn't go in, If they turn up i'll be in touch..

Cheers, John :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.