Runoffgroove Supreaux Deux - TH Customs PCB

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Dec 8, 2018.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Finally got my Supreaux Deux cranking today after a bit of futzing around. As discussed in the J201 thread, I couldn't get the input and output stages biased, the middle gain stage using a NOS Fairchild J201 biased right up, while the 2N5457's in Q1 and Q3 weren't even close.

I can't remember where I got these particular JFETs, I thought they were either from a NOS stash I had sitting for years, or from a known good vendor, but I can't be sure. In any case, I haven't had any problems with this bunch of JFETs which were stored in a pink poly canister I've had forever.
    Also, I was able to pop a couple of new PF5102's into the sockets, they biased fine but had too much gain, the circuit went into oscillation with the gain pot halfway up. At this point I figured I messed something up, because I also noticed the gain and volume sweep was backwards (more on that in a moment). Since this wasn't a Vero build but a PCB from a vendor I figured for sure I goofed because it just didn't sound good at all. Figures, since it's one of my better decal jobs!

I did a little googling and found some JFET testing schematics, so I figured I'd test these 5457s when I had a chance. After going out with Mrs Z today I went to the bench to mess around and also figure out why the darn pot sweep was backwards. First thing, as recommended by @awasson, I'd try some MPF102s. They biased right up no problem but again had too much gain. I am biasing these per ROG (and TH Custom) instructions of 12 volts, as opposed to half the supply rail of 18 volts, provided by a TC1044SCPA charge pump. At half supply voltage the circuit went into oscillation pretty quickly. I was starting to wonder if I got the wrong charge pump IC too. Unfortunately, the good ole mail carrier didn't bring my Small Bear order today as I got a bunch of fresh 2N5457s (but did bring my Mouser order with parts for the Aquaboy analog delay!)

After some thought, I realized I modified the original layout to fit the 125B box better, which as you guessed, flipped the pots upside down:mad:. I unboxed it, and rewired the right angle pots with some solid core wire. Then I checked the Idss of my remaining stash of old 5457s and they weren't anywhere near spec, 0.4mA for two, 0.2mA for the other two (!) Spec says 1mA minimum, ugh, bad JFETs.

Since I didn't have anything reasonably close without changing the resistors around Q1 and Q3 to use the MPF102's (or PF5102s), I dug around in my stash and found a packet of "J201" JFETs that I got from eBay awhile back. Marked "Fairchild", they were pretty obvious counterfeits, but I decided to see if I could get them to bias for the heck of it. Well, I'll be, biased right up! Spec is off for a J201, at 1.5mA Idss, but close to a 5457. They sound great! I'll replace them when the parts come Monday, but at least I now have an idea of what the Supreaux Deux is supposed to sound like.

Pics or it didn't happen (note wires on pots to fix my goof, and I didn't bother to clip the leads of the "J201" fakes):

supro_top.jpg supro_gutshot.jpg

and the obligatory Tele (Thinline) shot when I finally got it sounding good:

supro_tele.jpg

So, TLDR: The Runoffgroove Supreaux Deux is an awesome overdrive, check your potentiometer orientation and JFET biasing before boxing, and Telecasters rule! :D

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool! I’ve got to give this one a try. I’ve been looking at the schematic and it looks like a pretty cool pedal.

I see there a Tiny Terror hiding under your bench. I’ve built a clone and really like it. It sounds killer with a Telecaster bridge pickup.

zippofan likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Now that I have the pedal sorted, it sounds really good. When I first fired it up I was pretty disappointed but that was due to the out of spec JFETs and backwards pot sweeps. Sometimes I don't think when I'm excited to hear the final product! Needless to say I'm looking forward to proper 2N5457s. Got some 5458s in that order too to mess around with.

I love that little Orange amp, it's actually the Micro-Terror, Mrs Z got it for me for Christmas a couple years ago. I picked up a Panama 1x10" cab with their version of a Celestion Vintage 10 loaded for it, the matching Orange 1x8 is now with my Wangs 1 watter with a Celestion Eight Fifteen.

Right now I'm running a GE 5 Star 5751 instead of the stock JJ 12AX7 preamp tube. The Five Stars are my favorite 5751, I put them in V1 pretty much in all my amps, though I've cleaned my father-in-law out unfortunately. Right next to it is my modded Epi Valve Jr running into a Marshall 1x10" with a Weber Blue Pup alnico. The mods are from Fromel and are simple, no extra controls, just cleans up the circuit and overall sounds more natural than it did stock.

The Micro-Terror loves my EQD Arrows boost, you might have seen I like boosts and have a few :p, the Arrows feels like it was made for this amp. It also loves Teles, but what's not to love, it's a Tele!

awasson likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

When I made my Ruby amp, I used the MPF102 instead of the 5457 and it came out great. Then I made a dual chip bridged amp and the MPF102 has too much gain. I'm thinking of switching it out to see how it does.

I've been interested in that build you did and several others. My guess is they chose the MPF102 over the 5457 because the Supro amps had excessive gain in them.

zippofan likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've really been thinking about the Orange Micro Dark Terror and the little cab combo that Sweetwater has on sale.

zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Transistors came today (Sunday Holiday delivery!) and properly biased 2N5457s are installed. This circuit has a very wide range of gain biased at 12 volts from the 18 volt supply, pretty clean to darn close to fuzz territory, just like my old Gibson GA-5T (think Neil Young's dimed Deluxe tone).
    Through all this I learned more about JFETs and possible/not possible subs. I'm also happy that the counterfeit J201s I have are usable, after I first saw them I thought I wasted my money. Even though they're out of spec for a J201, they didn't sound much different than the correct part specified by the designers.

Bristlehound and awasson like this.
  7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

And since the parts came, I've started another Led Zep style drive, the "Lemonade"(Lumpy's Lemon Drop) by Pedal PCB. They kindly sent it to me when I bought the Kalle fuzz board for my son's pedal (can't wait to see him open that on Christmas:)) The Aquaboy PCB came from Madbean too, so I'll probably start stuffing that one this week.

The Lemonade board is done, ready for drilling the box, installing pots, BC108/2N5457, then decal. I may try a 2N5458 in it, just to hear the difference. I picked up a plain yellow powder coated 125B, no spray painting til April. After getting the match box fuzz enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus I'll be looking to pick up some different colors with them, the laser navy blue was just right for that build.

I'll definitely be picking up more Pedal PCB boards in the new year, Madbean too. Then there's the DeadEnd version of the Engineer's Thumb on my wish list...hoo boy, so many circuits, never enough time!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.