Running two amps, splitting options

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I use a Radial ABY switch. It's a bulletproof solution. I have tried stereo, but in my experience it's not as dramatic as wet/dry. I read earlier in this thread about having no effects on the dry signal, but I don't do it that way. I run compressor and drive pedals to both and modulation, delay and reverb to the other amp. I really like the sound of the dry note on one side and the repeats on the other. I don't like clean/drive sounds as much unless the drive is significantly under the clean.

J-bass&Tele likes this.
  2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I use the MXR A/B pedal.

What I have found (with my setup anyways) is that both amps can go into the same power strip, but I have to isolate the pedal power into a separate socket (not necessarily a separate circuit, because there is only one for this garage!) to avoid significant hum. If I plug amps and pedal power into the same strip, it's bad; but separating them makes a huge difference.

I tried the humX and it just didn't do anything for me.

I don't get inordinate amp hum from this arrangement, but it does not quell 60 cycle hum in any way.

3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I'm using two Princetons, one PRRI, one Silverface non-reverb, and they sound great together. I've got a passive aby pedal, but it sounds lossy to my ear, so I'm just daisy chaining them together, with no ground loop, hum, or phase issues. I have some pedals that go into the front of the PRRI, and then two more in the middle of the daisy chain for just the Silverface, including an always-on boost. Sounds full and lush with different eq settings for each amp. I do plug the PRRI into the "courtesy jack" on the back of the other amp, so maybe that helps with any grounding issues.

teleman1 likes this.
  4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

If you have FX loops ...something like this can be a lot of fun.... stick a Joyo or some other "flavor" (Vox, California Sound etc...) pedal in between the two amps...
    The flavor pedal simply adds "more". ( ie: the American Sound adds "more" Fender...if that makes sense)
    Or a simple clean boots works pretty good two.

In a setup like this I'm simply using amp # 2 as more of a powered cabinet.
    In my case, I think it almost works like a tweeter / woofer setup....with the Fender giving the really kind of focused clean highs and the Monoprice pushing a LOT of mids and bass (I swapped the speaker out for a GB128).....the Monoprice REALLY fills in the sound and thickens up the mids ...and yet keeps the "Fenderish" sound.
    2021-03-12 15_23_00-Window.png

PhredE likes this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I used to use passive splitters. Got a powered, isolated one (radial twin cities), tested that against the passive. The loss of signal from passive was easy to hear. Not a subtle difference. That was the last time I used a passive splitter.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I used to gig with a pair of little 1 x 10” Valco tube amps (think Pro Jr. but from ‘59-‘60) both always on simultaneously. At different times I split the signal with a DOD FX65 stereo chorus pedal, or a Boss RRV-10 half-rack digital reverb, or a rackmount Yamaha FX processor set to a reverb patch. All three methods worked great.

teleman1 and Willie Johnson like this.
  7. randym

randym Tele-Meister

Yesterday I ran from my 68 Custom PRRI out of the 2nd input to my SuperSonic 22 head (2x10 cabinet). Sounded nice (did have to increase the SS volume a little). Then I inserted my Victoria 5112 in between (as the SuperSonic only has one input, it has to be at the end) and had 3 amps daisy-chained. If I had room to move the further apart the effect would be more noticeable.

8. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I have both a mono and a stereo splitter from Radial Engineering and they just work, perfectly. Doesn't matter what concoction I've brewed up of disparate amps. Silence is golden when running two amps. I could run four amps with the stereo splitter, it's called their Shotgun. Their Tonebone is a good entry box.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

I have an ABY setup for my mountain of combo tube amps. I rarely play just one at home.

I have a stereo echo/reverb pedal (Roland Space Echo) that has L&R inputs and outputs. I've been plugging L&R into a stereo ABY pedal and out into 2 amps. I can play one or the other or both amps. The stereo Space Echo is all I really need to play 2 amps, but the switch is nice because I can A/B the amps and get them set to near same volume. I usually like one brit type amp and one Fender type amp. Twin Reverb and Marshall 1X12 combo seem to play nice together lately.

This setup is a little noisy but not nuts. I have a lot of pedals. Most of the noise is gain. I adjust things so background noise is tolerable. The Space Echo has a built-in noise gate when the effect is on. I use a little reverb and a little straight echo..low intensity...I take advantage of it's Input Volume knob to use as a master volume for all my other pedals, which precede it in the chain...very handy. The noise gate really helps and works fully at any Space Echo setting...but it has to be "on" for noise gate to work, so I leave it at conservative settings and don't turn it off.

When I accompany my own vocals alone, I like a big full sound and not deafening volume. This seems to do the trick. Stereo echo is great.

I recently got a stereo phaser...also pretty sweet....straight into I use all my fx sparingly. I go for a Trower/Hendrix sort of sound that I can leave on and manipulate with guitar volume and tone.

I bought a guitar synth pedal. Great one, BTW. In the end, I like playing GUITAR a lot better than synth, so it sits. I got a wonderful Knaggs Sheyenne 335 like guitar with the full synth engine buried inside. It works great, looks stock except for the multi-lead plug on the bottom...but I now realize I don't like to play synth! I like this guitar way better analog. It's just me. I have a pal that would kill for this setup. He is best synth player I've ever seen. He inspired me to buy this stuff...and now it's just lost on me. A shame really.

10. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

I highly recommend these guys who actually use Wet/Dry rigs even Live. This one is more functional, the hows and whys, but it is extremely useful and pretty entertaining. Check it, them, out at your leisure.

11. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was wrong about this a while ago so I wanted to pass along my new understanding as well as confess my being wrong :eek:

I remember listening to a Walkman on car trips and splitting headphones with my sister, and there was volume drop.

So I assumed all passive splitting caused volume drop.

But from my current understanding (lol) that happened because the signal wa driving speakers and actually moving air- even if it's tiny headphones speakers.

If you're running signal to an amp- which then takes charge of moving the air- then you won't get that volume attenuation.

So a passive ABY worked fine for going into two amps.

Caveat, I had a buffer in there. My signal goes out of guitar and into buffer, and then has plenty of buffness to reach both amps. I don't know about what happens without a buffer before the split.

But IMO most can find a buffer that will work and not ruin everything. If you're more of a tone chaser then probably don't take advice from me, I'm not really much of a tone chaser type.

12. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

There's more to think about than just "running 2 amps simultaneously.".

You can run 2 amps in tandem. (Both do the same thing) You can run 2 amps in stereo. (each amp running effects back and forth, like stereo chorus, etc.) And you can run two amps "wet/dry". This is a really good way to go if you use a lot of pedals. Or even just a few. Here's just one example: You want to play some heavy ambient music, or maybe some SURF. You crank up the delay and reverb. And you end up losing the attack on the strings, and only hearing the reverb, or repeated string notes. SO . . . run one amp with the reverb cranked. The dry amp will cut through all the ambiance and your pick attack will be Chrystal clear. The other amp with no reverb. Same with fuzzes and octave effects. A fuzz with a octaver of some kind dropped an octave can sound massive. But unless you're boosting the midrange a bunch, it'll get muddy. So have one amp using the fuzz and octave pedal. The other amp using a fuzz and a good over drive, tube screamer pedal.

FYI: The absolute easiest way to connect two amps with no issues . . . use ANY stereo pedal. You don't need the effect to be on. You can pick up a cheap, used stereo pedal for a lot less than any of the other solutions. (Unless one amp has a line out. You just need to run a cable from the out to the other amp in. If you get buzz or hum . . . hit Craigslist or eBay for a used stereo pedal for $30.)

I run 2, and sometimes 3 amps together. (Wet/Dry, or Wet/Dry?wet) Usually two.

From my pedal board, the last pedal in the chain is a EH stereo Mimiq. From the Mimiq out 1 I go into a reverb/delay combo pedal, then into amp 1. From the other Mimiq out I go into a Dead Beat reverbnation combo pedal with 8 reverbs, then into a Dead Beat Echonation Echo/Delay combo pedal, into amp 2.

This allows me to have multiple reverbs and delays, for each amp separately.

When I go Wet/Dry/Wet I simply run from the amp on the left over to the amp on the right. So left and right amps use one set of reverbs and delays. (The Dead Beat combo pedals) and the middle amp uses the other combo pedal, set to more of a none to light verb, little to no delay. The middle amp cuts through the heavy ambiance of the other 2 amps.

Lots of ways to go!

13. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

This worked surprisingly and amazingly great. Dirt from the little Super Champ, bass and a beautiful foundation from the Vibrosonic.
    No noise, no issues.
    3F42A8A1-A5D5-44DA-9D9B-B5832E21BFD1.jpeg

Willie Johnson likes this.
  14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

^^^
    This is something that I did in the '80s with a Princeton and a Twin.
    Edit: Heck, it might have been the '70s.

Jowes_84 likes this.
  15. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I have been considering the dual amp scenario and am leaning towards this gadget. Lehle makes some fine products.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleDual2--lehle-little-dual-ii-amp-switcher

I have been using the Lehle P-Split III high impedance signal splitter to play/record with my Tweed Champ both mic’d and direct to an interface for DAW setup. Works really well. IMHO.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I think I have come to the same conclusion as some others here, that running 2 amps is too much hassle. If I were some bigshot with roadies to haul it around and set it up, sure.

The idea of it has lead me to think of a potentially useful pedal which I think no one has made before. Essentially a mixer pedal that would sum the output of a pedal chain with any point before the end of the chain. It would have a clean time digital line delay on one input that is adjustable in milliseconds and samples and a phase switch for achieving perfect time and phase alignment. It would also have an internal sine generator function for automatic phase alignment of the two signals. Just hit the alignment button and the second signal is aligned to the first signal by way of finding when the oscillator signals cancel to zero. The ultimate goal here being to mix back some un-effected signal in phase to preserve pick attack through an effects chain. A variation on this could also be useful for running two amps if the thing had two outputs. It would allow for time and phase alignment of what is coming out of the two amps. So I suppose it would essentially be a buffered ABY pedal with two inputs mixed to mono with the time alignment and phase flip functions previously mentioned, along with a level control for the 'dry' signal.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

I just read through this whole thread. Now I find that I have everything I need to run two amps at once. So now I have to set up and try some different configurations.
    Thanks for all the info, I will put it to use.

Jowes_84 likes this.
  18. sleekpicker

sleekpicker TDPRI Member

Love 'em together. I use an Eminence Copperhead in one and a Ragin' Cajun (or Jensen P10R) in the other.

DADGAD likes this.
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a Radial Twin City. Mostly for switching, but it runs both at once just fine, too.

20. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

That's what the most of us do, we fell in love with two amps rig but after a while you realise that it's too much work to set up everything and give up.
    An alternative could be a stereo amp. like the Roland Jazz Chorus 40, not exactly the same thing of having two amps far apart but much easier to set up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.