1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

running one amp into another question...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Nov 23, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

So the other day I ran my vox cambridge 15 V9159 from a line out into my rumble 40 and i think I liked the sound. I like the gain on the vox a lot and the extra eq and low end from the rumble seemed like a good combo.

Is there any technical issue doing this? They are both 8 ohm speakers. I guess I didn't know if that would be hard on the amps or not. I don't quite have an understanding of all the ohms stuff and all that.

2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

If there is a line out then you are fine. If you were running from the speaker out into the other amp then yes that would be trouble but you would know that already :)

AxemanVR and FortyEight like this.
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

On two input amps back in the day we would plug a guitar into channel one and run a cable from channel two to the second amp input to get the same effect
    Never destroyed the universe like a guitar shop employee told me once.

Tim S, FortyEight and dogmeat like this.
  4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

The only problem you might get is a ground loop, humming from the amps, depending on how you have your amps plugged into the wall. As far as what you are doing it is safe to do.

FortyEight likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Well actually I wasn't sure but I figured the line out was the better proposition for what I was doing.

One more question... What kind of cable am I supposed to use for this scenario? I didn't even really realize this either but I guess there is a different kind of cable to go from a head into a cabinet.... Is that what I should be using to go from one amp to another? And what is the name of that cable? I have a shorter cable, about 6' that says right on it "Instrument cable" so I'm assuming that's still meant for guitars and not for an amp head to cabinet.....

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The line out will be a relatively low voltage. An instrument cable is perfect for this. An instrument cable is shielded to keep noise at a minimum. The other cable you are referring to is a "speaker cable" and it is important to use this for higher wattage amplifiers (especially PAs systems, which could be thousands of watts) because it is a thicker cable that can carry the higher voltage safely. Speaker cable are often not shielded because the signal is already amplified at this point in the signal chain - the noise floor is not as much of an issue. I have used instrument cables for speaker cabinets before for low wattage apps (like 18 watt amps, for example) and it has not been a problem, as long as the cable doesn't get hot, or even warm to the touch. However, if you use an unshielded speaker cable in place of your instrument cable going into the input of an amp, be prepared for a very noisy signal, up to and including pickup up local radio stations.

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

OK, that helps me. Thank you!!!!

8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I miss amps having those dual inputs to be able to chain together.

When I was gigging, I'd chain input 2 of my Fender SS amp into my Marshall 2204 head. Huge sound.

FortyEight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.