Running effects in parallel, anybody do it? What are your faves?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Jul 12, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Running some devices in parallel yields some good results (so I am told as I have never done this outside of the DAW I record in). Seems OD pedals are done this way the most but are there any discoveries you have made we may benefit from? Loop switchers offer this capability at the push of the button and make it very easy to explore signal chain combos. What have you discovered? Thoughts?

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have a looper switch with everything in parallel. At one point there were 12 pedals set up. I discovered that a smaller pedalboard with 6 pedals does everything I need and that's it's easier to cart around. There was no stand out revelation to having infinite switching choices. It was fun for awhile getting it all hooked up and operational but eventually I drifted back to everything in series, buffered pedals to keep the tone and volume in place when pedals are not on. Sorry if that wasn't so spectacular a response.

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Parallel is a great way to add complexity and stay clean. I have a Boss LS-2 and use it to run a dry signal in parallel with compressor, OD and flange, then run the mix into a reverb pedal.

4pickupguy and Steve 78 like this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Not so much parallel effects, but I also use a Boss LS-2 to set a wet/dry mix with flanger on guitar and flanger/distortion on bass. Makes a big difference on effects that can otherwise take over the whole sound.

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Use a VFE Klein Bottle to run loop 1 is tremolo, loop 2 is ambient verb +/- delay and loop 3 is 2nd delay +/- 2nd verb. And it can add a dry mix back in. Absolutely love the KB for parallel mixing these effects; it allows for alot of tweaking.

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I have the EHX Tri Parallel Mixer and it is the bomb for parallel loop switching. Basically, any two OD or Fuzzes in parallel will yield a smoother combination of the two. Add back dry signal also to any pedal that doesn't have a mix knob.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.