Running a modeler thru a tube amp?

bls82261

Tele-Meister
Hello. I have a couple of crazy questions.

What would happen if I ran the THR10C headphone out straight to the instrument input on a Monoprice 5w?
Would I get the benefit of the modeling to the small tube amp?

While we are talking about running one amp thru another, what would happen if I tried to run the Monoprice 5w thru my much bigger/louder late '70s Peavey classic 212 VTX? I have read about other people running them thru extention cabs and really liking the result. If that is possible where/how should I connect them?

Here are a few pics...
4962A0A1-3489-484E-988F-39FF0D07D6DF_1_105_c.jpeg
30A27BE0-4627-4489-B8F1-46E1A4A84EC8_1_105_c.jpeg
D05A6C63-26A3-46AD-8524-6D83A6D937C1_1_105_c.jpeg

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
I've run a Pod line out into the effects return of my Mesa. That let me amplify the Pod with the Mesa power amp. It worked fine and I figured I could gig with that if I ever needed a wide range of amp sounds.

I didn't bother to try running the Pod line level signal into the Mesa input. I figured it would be a waste of time due to the impedence mismatch.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Try it and see! I like what tubes do, and running into the effects return usually sounds better in my experience than going into the front.

Personally adding some tube somewhere in the signal path warms up an Digital or SS circuit. Be it, a tube preamp being run into a solid state power amp, or a digital effects processor run into a tube power section.

I do slightly prefer the tubes being at the end of the signal chain, as they seem to smooth out, and warm up everything.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
In general, I've found modelers going into tube amps not to work that well. I think the basic problem was that the character of the modeler and that of the amp did not blend well, resulting in an unpleasant tone. There might be some combinations that will work but I gave up on the idea with the amps and modelers I had on hand.

So far as your second scenario goes, it can work but it requires getting the low powered tube amp's output at a level and impedance that works right with the more powerful solid state amp. And, it might help to have a EQ or IR pedal to balance out frequencies. You could do this with a load box, like the Bugera Power Soak, that can output the signal at line level. You could put this in the effects loop of the big SS amp to essentially have the small amp act as a preamp. I've done this with both amps and modelers with my Peavey Bandit 65.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I run my Mooer GE 300 through a couple of different tube amps, either my Two Rock or an 18 watt Atomic Reactor combo. But I run through the effects return of the Two Rock, and the Atomic is built for use with modelers - it has no controls of its own, not even a volume control. Everything is controlled by the Mooer.

I prefer using tube amps, and both of mine sound pretty awesome.

I did a gig earlier in the year where the back line had a Twin Reverb, and I ran straight into the front without much of a problem. But if you're going to do that, back whatever tone controls the amp has to about half way. If your tone controls on the amp are dimed and you run a modeler (with its preset tones) into it, chances are good that it'll sound like crap.

- D

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I ran my modeler through a small tube amp although it was a 6v6, not an EL84 like the Mono. Clean headroom is the key... obviously if the tube amp starts to distort, your modeling gets mangled. You can avoid some of that by being careful not to overdrive the tube preamp, but at some point the tube preamp overdrives the power amp or the power amp distorts on its own.

If use the hybrid Peavey for the modeler if you are going to turn up at all. With the SS preamp and 6v6's you should get good sounds.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I ran my modeler through a small tube amp although it was a 6v6, not an EL84 like the Mono. Clean headroom is the key... obviously if the tube amp starts to distort, your modeling gets mangled. You can avoid some of that by being careful not to overdrive the tube preamp, but at some point the tube preamp overdrives the power amp or the power amp distorts on its own.

If use the hybrid Peavey for the modeler if you are going to turn up at all. With the SS preamp and 6v6's you should get good sounds.

Good point. And the Peavey has got the power amp in, which might just bypass the tone circuit altogether and let the modeler do the work.

And of course, whatever amp you decide to use is going to require some extra tweaking to the modeler. It takes work but it can be done.

- D

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Running the headphone out into the monoprice won't hurt. It may or may not sound ok. I'd keep the input gain below distortion to get the best effects of the models. If you wind up the output to breakup it may not sound so good.

Running into the power amp in or return loop of the Peavey will probably work ok. Those amps are mostly big clean machines. You should get as good a sound as the Yamaha at least.

The Yamaha preamp and modelling is all in software including the modelled breakup of natural amp power sections. It's reproduced via a clean output.

Running that through a tube output isn't likely to value add much..

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
For years I ran a Digitech GSP-2101 into a SFTR, and it worked great! That was a killer sounding rig, that I gigged with for a good 5 years.

robinrockus

TDPRI Member
Hello. I have a couple of crazy questions.

What would happen if I ran the THR10C headphone out straight to the instrument input on a Monoprice 5w?
Would I get the benefit of the modeling to the small tube amp?

While we are talking about running one amp thru another, what would happen if I tried to run the Monoprice 5w thru my much bigger/louder late '70s Peavey classic 212 VTX? I have read about other people running them thru extention cabs and really liking the result. If that is possible where/how should I connect them?

Here are a few pics...
View attachment 969041 View attachment 969043 View attachment 969042
Yes. I have run a Johnson J-Station through a tube amp’s effects loop. My thinking is that way you get some good sound from the amp’s preamp section and then the modeling is added to the signal. You just have to be careful about levels from your modeling to avoid squeal or digital feedback. I have done this successfully with a Peavey tube amp and a Fender tube amp.

eichaan

Tele-Holic
I have done line out of my Monoprice Marshmallow into the Power Amp in of my Katana MkII. It makes things a lot louder and fuller. Picture just so you can see the rebadging.
271874617_10166136042980360_7965858681858266180_n.jpg

tele_paul

Tele-Meister
In general, I've found modelers going into tube amps not to work that well. I think the basic problem was that the character of the modeler and that of the amp did not blend well, resulting in an unpleasant tone. There might be some combinations that will work but I gave up on the idea with the amps and modelers I had on hand.

So far as your second scenario goes, it can work but it requires getting the low powered tube amp's output at a level and impedance that works right with the more powerful solid state amp. And, it might help to have a EQ or IR pedal to balance out frequencies. You could do this with a load box, like the Bugera Power Soak, that can output the signal at line level. You could put this in the effects loop of the big SS amp to essentially have the small amp act as a preamp. I've done this with both amps and modelers with my Peavey Bandit 65.

I've found the trick to getting modelers to sound their best with tube amps is to set the output mode to "Line Out/Recording" on the modeler. This was true back when I used the Boss GT-6 20 years ago (which sounded like trash overall though, sold it quick) and it's still true now with my new GX-100. The GX-100 actually sounds amazing through a tube amp, but only in Line Out mode. The other output modes, the ones supposedly designed for amp connectivity, sound pretty bad to me...either way too bright/brittle or muddy/blanketed.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I wouldn't try it with any expensive equipment. If you got some old gear hanging around to experiment with have at it. Otherwise .... I wouldn't.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
The question that you ask is a bit broad, so just to be very clear .... never plug the speaker level output of one amplifier into any input of another amplifier. That can cause damage to the amps and the potential for starting a fire is not zero. It is possible to plug the speaker output of the Monoprice into the speakers of the Peavy, but do that directly, do not go "through" the amp.

Anything else is game as far as plugging stuff into other stuff.

Also, I would generally agree with previous posters, the THR will work well into the power amp input of a combo amp, it can go into the guitar level input but set the EQ to flat and use the clean channel.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Basically that's what a Super Champ XD/X2 does - runs a digital modeling front end into a Princeton-like 12AX7 / 6V6 output stage. Works like a - uh, you know.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Second scenario is an impedance mismatch, I wouldn’t advise it. I don’t think the first will work, headphone out is a line level signal. It wont hurt to try.
1st scenario line out into instrument in (headphone out to front of amp) is also an impedance mismatch. The signal of a line out is too powerful for an instrument in. It probly wont hurt the amp, but would probly sound like @$$.