1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Run Away It’s Another Poll!!! (Baritone content)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dan German, Mar 25, 2021.

Low or lower?

1. E-E

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. B-B

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  3. Other

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

So, I have had a Danelectro Baritone neck lying around for years, waiting for me to get it together to build something. In a fit of boredom, I pulled the neck from my Squier Bullet Special, and did the necessaries to get the Danelectro neck fitted. My question is, with the Danelectro neck being 29.75”, do I make it a baritone (B-B) or simplify my life by going Bass VI (E-E). I have already strung it up and come to a preliminary conclusion, but I would like to have some outside input.

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I voted B-B because my bari is tuned that way so it must be right. But if you’re nearly a 30” scale you could easily go E-E with Bass IV or Hellcat strings. With a B tuned bari the strings feel just a little beefier than normal, 4 wound, your really only trading a 9 or 10 on the high end for a 62 or so on the low side. To me it feels like any guitar, just a little heavier strings. If you go E-E would you play “guitar” style or more Bass IV style? Your call. Whatcha gonna do?

Flip G, Dan German and Fretting out like this.
  3. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Maybe split the difference and go A-A or G-G?

Or am I just making this worse?

Flip G and johnnylaw like this.
  4. Dan German

It’s people like you that cause unrest!

Jim622 and Flip G like this.
  5. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I tend to get hired to play on a lot of tracks that are in or around the key of B because it’s a comfortable place for some singers, so having it tuned B-B actually works for me from a purely practical standpoint. I do like E-E though too!

Flip G likes this.
  6. Dan German

Dunno, I tried being a bass player once, and it didn’t stick. Probably more guitar style. E-E has the attraction of no transposing from tunes I already play, while B-B has the attraction of making my lazy *** think for once!

7. orbit_caster

orbit_caster TDPRI Member

28-5/8 neck, tuned to C standard.

8. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

my work here is done

Killing Floor and Dan German like this.
  9. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I have mine tuned A-a. I find that works the best for getting just a little bit into six string bass territory, while still having some very much guitar sounding characteristics. Technically thats what I have its a Jerry Jones Longhorn, but I couldn’t ever get much of a handle getting guitar like things out of that tuning. I find it much more usable strung up as a baritone guitar.

loopfinding likes this.
  10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

A to A. That's my favorite baritone tuning, and would work well at that scale.

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've built 3 baritones over the years and they have all been tuned B-B. Scale lengths have been between 29 and 30 inches. In my opinion that's pretty ideal.

Dan German likes this.
  12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well there is that...

Dan German likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

FTW

Dan German likes this.
  14. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

B-B for me.

E-E is getting on to the bass players lawn.

Dan German likes this.
  15. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I do low C

16. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I say try a few different tunings in the context of your repertoire and decide with your ears and hands. There may even be something like a “sweet spot” where the guitar really “sings”.
    The process of discovery is other than music theory or the alphabet.
    Play music!

Dan German likes this.
  17. Dan German

Well, the thing of it is, when I cobbled this thing together on a whim the other day, I had a set of D’Addario Baritone strings lying around. Needing something to check alignment with, I strung it up with those. E-E was my original intent, but it sounded really floppy and weak. B-B sounded much better. I’m sure that with proper Bass VI strings that wouldn’t be as much of an issue, but I questioned my original plan, hence the post. I’m thinking I’m going to stick with B-B and make my brain do a little work. I might try A-A before I get too set in my ways, just to see how it is.

The most important thing is that I finally have a baritone guitar, and I can’t believe I put off building it for this long, especially when it took me so little time, effort, and expense. (I still have to cover my Oops, as well as some mounting holes from when this was a 25.5” scale...)

Edit: I had to enlarge to hole for the low E in the Wilkinson half-tele bridge. If I used Bass VI strings, I would likely have to do that for a few of them. I like keeping the work to a minimum.

18. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I think you’re on to something there.
    I once played a friend’s five string (low B) at a jam. Initially, I had to think about it. Half an hour later, I just played bass. The string arrangement became transparent. I’d bet you will notice the “need” to reorient each time you pick it up dwindles.
    I keep fending off the baritone lust by continuing to be spread too thin already.

Digital Larry likes this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I would go E - E. Simplifies playing. I got enough stuff clogging my playing- don't need to do more dynamic translations in my head.

Dan German likes this.
  20. Dan German

I’m thinking that much as I like the “not thinking about it” aspect of an octave drop in tuning, I’m going to stick with baritone tuning. I might have to do some bridge-drilling and setup work to follow my original “Bass VI” plan, but the current B-B version is within minor tweaking of being pretty awesome. I will try A-A for a while, just to see if I like it better, but I’m pretty happy so far. For the record, the Bootstrap Skookum 90 Mean that I had already put in the guitar is amazing in baritone tuning.

johnnylaw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.