1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Run and get one of these NOW!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by boneyguy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

ah yes - 1979 - very wise year.

Thanks for the reminder Boneyguy gonna try that out .

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

:lol: Yes, too bad.

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Guys... guys... Hey - Can anyone hear me?!

4. boneyguy

Shhhhhh...can anyone else hear that?......there's a very faint noise coming through at around the 197.9 hertz band.....weird......

5. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can never seem to get along with EQ pedals, except as a boost.

I've tried the MXR and the Fish N' Chips, but both have the same problem- if I slide the faders up, they create distortion, and its' not the kind of distortion I'm looking for.

I've had much better luck with the Sonic Stomp, which "lifts the blanket" and lets me dial in the right bass/treble recipe, without distorting anything.

I also prefer two knobs to a whole bunch of faders- I can never get those things all in the right place at the same time.

6. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Totally. They make great quick pre-amps.

7. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

"EQ's, nineteen-seventy-nine"
    "Cool kids, never had the time"

I don't even care...

8. boneyguy

I'll bet you do care. In fact I bet you actually care a lot but you're just afraid to show your feelings. I'll bet that under that gruff exterior is a lonely, scared little boy who's crying out for the approval and acceptance that can only be provided by the warm, nurturing hug of a 7 band eq pedal.

It's not your fault...it's not your fault......

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Bought one today based on your thread (to which I contributed nothing but smart-assed remarks). But the thread got me thinking it might be cool to try, especially for using a different EQ for some solos. Have yet to try it....

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I actually hooked my MXR 10-band back up to my Mesa rig today, using it as a mid boost/gain boost to goose the front end harder when using my Telecaster instead of one of the humbucker guitars. I'd forgotten about how much fun that is until this thread got me thinking about it again.

Now the DRRI is back under its cover, and the Boogie is getting some playing time again.

11. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

wet blankets not recommended unless you are using a 3 prong plug. .

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

One of the first threads I read in this forum 6 years ago, was from Blue Water Girl, the wife of Brent Mason. She discussed the necessity of using an eq pedal after an OD pedal, at least according to Brent. As some will know, he has a huge pedal board for studio work. Bigger than huge.

I also had an eq in 1979, two actually. One for my tape music (concrete) and one built into a Mesa Boogie. I recognized the power of these, but I also recognized that I would often overdo it, something I couldn't hear until the next day. I use it now in Pro Tools, for the electronic music that I compose and teach. It is a very powerful tool, no doubt.

One of the first pedals I bought 6 years ago when I started playing again was a Behringer eq. It was amazing. But when I tried to open it to put a new battery in, all the little knobs on the sliders fell off. I took this as a sign that I had better not go down the eq road again. I still harbor a dream of all of my knobs and switches on everything will one day be controlled with MIDI. This means that the sound is still analog, but the pots and switches are controlled in a way that lets me save presets.

Anyway, my position is that an eq pedal is so good to use that it becomes bad to use. For me, not necessarily for anyone else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.