Ruminations from my walk on the beach....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Apr 7, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

sad what many of our beaches have become; tide-compelled collections of trash from the dump we've turned our waters into
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

"angling" is derived from the old Northern European word for a fish-hook. The same word has come down to modern Dutch as "hengel". "Hengelsport" is "sport fishing". There is nothing do to with calculating angles or anything like that. It just means "fish-hooking".

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I feel you... I hauled in 5 tons of a special dirt into my backyard by wheelbarrow a couple weeks ago... I kept thinking about the movie tribes and pretended to be that guy... and aspirin.

4. getbent

no doubt. We use the dogs for all manner of excuses to do stuff...

popthree likes this.
  5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I moved 13 tons in about 5 hours with some help from the wife. My back may never forgive me.

6. getbent

ha ha! okay, 2 aspirin and a couple of tito's martinis shaken hard two olives MIGHT placate for a bit!

YOU R A BEAST!

7. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i miss NoCal. i lived in SF for a few years back in the late, great 80s.. was there for the 6.8 in '89... sure beat the heck out of a tornado. i rode a bike most places i went. the freedom of not having to drive a car was amazing. i was too young and unsettled to truly appreciate the full beauty of the place though. went back in 2015 when my youngest was touring colleges. fell in love with that area all over again. the proximity to the water and the mountains and everything else in between is just wonderful. sure beats the heck outta landlocked Oklahoma...but home is home and there is beauty here too. if you are patient you can find it.

8. getbent

that is awesome.... my daughter lives in OK and I find it beautiful and always have lots of fun there... We go ride four wheelers, shoot guns, go to all manner of good food, and lots of live music and 'visits' with friends and family at nice big places with some land... We went to a place maybe called the petroleum club? super nice.

popthree likes this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

E17C2029-6204-47FE-8A8F-E365AF5C0306.jpeg
    I was building about a four to five square foot three tiered vegetable garden and then filling it with dirt. I had a spot where I needed to move about the top two to three inches of dirt and mulch which made good fill for the top two tiers. So I was pushing a square front shovel under that. I will only do that type of manual labor for a couple hours because I spend to much time sitting on my derrière.

getbent likes this.
  10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Small world ...yep that stuff is exactly what goes on around here. Sadly, Petroleum club closed recently. I think they have struggled in recent years with all the new fangled fine dining moving into downtown. Hollar if you are ever back this way. I'd love to buy you a beer.

getbent likes this.
  11. getbent

absolutely!

12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Dogs and the beach, love it.

Here is my girl before she left us, we are at the beach that we would walk to from the house almost daily.

5A03B2DB-F6F8-4CC7-B6D7-A091B8EA8984.jpeg

rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I love your Sunday musings @getbent . While waiting for the snow to melt for me to continue building the house, I have been inside building a HO scale model railroad historical roundhouse for a nearby start-up Visitor Center/museum. I'm trying to get one portion of it installed before tourist season begins in May. Below is just one small trial sub-assembly: IMG_3626.JPG

popthree and getbent like this.
  14. getbent

rpdogs.jpeg

This will give you an idea of what I was doing.... ' beer can beach '

popthree, rcole_sooner and imwjl like this.
  15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We do non-resort trips so see that sort of thing. In the work conf rooms or break rooms people who only take cruises or go to a polished resort will argue that it's not a problem. In the past decade we've repeated renting two different villas from same agent. They send the beach cleaners out around sunrise but we happen to get up, and we're not blind to the difference next to the property.

I've mostly visited Atlantic, Mediterranean, Pacific, Red Sea, US gulf and Caribbean. I've lost track of how many times I've snorkeled and dived same places in Caribbean since I was a teen - 45 years. I've seen hurricane damage and recovery in the reefs. The past few years have been scary. There has been obvious change. Now you see the sargassum problem in addition to bleaching. Tourism patterns change too. A few months ago a reef we used to swim to looked really bad. A second visit had people off of a cruise boat with hands and feet all over and some jerks harvesting lobster in a marine sanctuary. The bleaching was in other areas so I think there's a double impact going on in some places.

I realize there's some irony because we're tourists too but we're admittedly low impact. I cut business travel when possible, cut car use, and do all I can to cut packaging use.

blowtorch likes this.
  16. getbent

I dig the train layouts! I saved a lot of my HO stuff from my big layout in Colorado... in boxes... waiting for when I get back into it... they have a good train club over in Hollister, I need to go check it out... I miss that stuff!

Obsessed likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, to pretend there's not a problem, or ignore the fact that there's a problem, that takes willfull ignorance, I'd say. And as I've said before, I get it, bliss feels nice

"nothin's gonna change my world..." :rolleyes:

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You and others here might like the sort of thought and work Hans Rosling and his kids did (RIP Hans) and do and the efforts in economics to view the world outside of developed and developing. The being aware of gaps and in another post I just read here (manual transmissions) where an international trip in 1996 or 2000 is to some extent a very different world than today.

We're in same library system. My loan of Factfulness just expired. You can check it out next!

19. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

I teach at a continuation High school too. Live in Oakland, teach in Hayward.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that's kind of the point. There's really only a few Californians that can truly enjoy the beach on a daily basis. The vast majority have to plan out the better part of a day or weekend, drive a while on crowded roads, hunt for parking, find an open spot to throw down a towel and junk, only to do it all in reverse only a couple of hours later. Not much different than people who visit CA from out of state.

I consider myself very fortunate, through absolutely no effort, and completely by chance, to have had a childhood near the beach in South Orange County, beginning at a time when you could still drive your car onto an undeveloped cliff looking over the ocean directly below. I could go to the beach almost whenever I wanted. My HS was a mile away.

The good: Had some amazing experiences many, even within the US, and including my children, will never have.

The bad: A sense of Californian entitlement, privilege, and elitism I'm only now in my late 40s finally getting over. No way in a million years could I ever make enough to move back to where I grew up, even if I wanted to. But never say never, right? Nah. I could spend the rest of my life dreaming about how good I had it, and consequently waste my life away in bitterness and resentment (yes, there are people in my family like this). Or I can live my life to its fullest wherever I am. Working hard everyday to do the latter.

EDIT: But man it's hard sometimes. I mean I really had it good as a kid.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.