Rumble 40 upgrade??

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I am far from an expert. They all look like decent studio amps with 12" speakers. It's too bad that none have an extension output. You might be able to gig with the Traynor if it did
Traynor is the smallest but the heaviest and 200 watts. Ashdown is the most intriguing with a nice back story. It doesn't look a bad decision can be made whatever direction you go. Maybe it comes down to price and availability. Rumbles always seem to be put at top of the class by gear review experts. I have a very old Rumble 60 that is still going strong and is the bass amp of choice by my two boys. I doubt I will ever see it again.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
local prices cnd. bux.
Rumble 490
Ampeg 480
Ashdown 530
Traynor 620
and I've added a GK MB-112 $720

I just need it for a small trio.
I'm thinking the Traynor and GK have superior drivers?
There is nowhere to A/B them as stock is scarce which is why I trust you guys.

The R-40 is adequate but after three years I gas for an upgrade.
You know the feeling??

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
The Rumble series really is fantastic. But there is no replacement for displacement. If you can tolerate a bigger cab, that is where a lot of joy comes from. A 1x12 can be heard, but not really felt. Some 2x10 cabs can....

Gunny

Tele-Holic
Any thoughts on the Ampeg RB-112, Traynor SB-112, or Ashdown Studio 12 vs. Rumble 100?
I gigged indoors (bars) and outdoors (parks) in a Classic Rock band using the Traynor SB-112. I sent an XLR to the PA. No problems at all being heard or felt.
I've retired from gigging and my at home amp is the SB-115 because 15s have always been my fave tone.
I have owned all Rumbles from 200 v3 down to 15v3 and a couple of the originals with the flashing LEDs. The best was the Rumble 40v3 for tone and weight. In a trio, and you want more firepower (why?) I'd go Rumble 100 or SB-112)

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
In a trio, and you want more firepower (why?) I'd go Rumble 100 or SB-112)
Excellent point. It is more want than need.
I found a place where I can a/b all three Traynor SBs once things settle down a bit. My son could use the Rumble 40. Like the R40, the SB110 has a ten inch speaker but 80 more watts.
Thanks for the SB112 thumbs up. For 50 more bucks the 15 looks attractive....

SheldonP

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I've been using a GK MB112 for a couple of years now and it's more than capable of covering the majority of my trio gigs all by itself. 200 watts, 24 lbs and roughly the same footprint on stage as a Blues Jr. On the rare occasion (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) that I need a little more firepower, I have a GK MP115 powered extension cab.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I own the Rumble 100. It served me well but I grew tired of the lack of articulation and overbearing lo mids.

Ive A/B’d it with the GK MB 112, and much prefer that amp. If I had to do it all over, I’d rather have that one.

I also just got an ampeg PF350 head. Man I missed that Ampeg tone! RB112 would be high on my list as well, great reviews and very comparable to the Rumbles in price/features.