Ruining your pedal board

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I have feelers out to pedal builders to see if I can get a Funny Cat (Soft Distortion Sustainer side only) replicated. This 40+ year old pedal won’t last forever.

It's a Roland build. Keep the electrolytic caps fresh and it will likely last forever. Switches and knobs (the parts that might break down) are easy to replace.

IMO... the compression sounds a LOT like a BOSS CS-1... but I guess that's another 40 year old pedal.
The distortion just sounds like a battery starved fuzz to me.... not something I would ever enjoy but that's just preference.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Ok. I have no idea what this thread is about. Or how to reconcile the title with the OP.

But I’m with @El Marin, @Fiesta Red and @Old Deaf Roadie. I think.

I just don’t care that much about toan nuance. Clarity, headroom and dynamics are what I basically care about in my rig. 1m pots and treble bleeds on the guitar. Amp with nice master volume. Run it overdriven. Clean up with guitar volume and right hand.

Anyhoo, was on the pedal-o-the-day train forever. Maybe THIS is just a bit “better”. Whatever that means?

On a lark I (re)bought the T Rex Soulmate. I’d had it early in my journey. Before I knew what kind of player I was and what I needed from a rig. This time -perfect … enough. Out of production. So I watched Reverb and bought two more as backups, mint with box and manual. Cheap.

One lives at rehearsal space. I use one at home. One sits on a shelf. Done. All funded by the sale of my pedals and boards. And all three less than I had tied up in one modest board (factoring on board, cables, power supply). Neat.

Point being, stick with what works. And buy a backup. At least than $300 it’s a lot less than cycling other pedals that don’t work as well for you.

Last edited:

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Ok. I have no idea what this thread is about. Or how to reconcile the title with the OP.

But I’m with @El Marin, @Fiesta Red and @Old Deaf Roadie. I think.

I just don’t care that much about toan nuance. Clarity, headroom and dynamics are what I basically care about in my rig. 1m pots and treble bleeds on the guitar. Amp with nice master volume. Run it overdriven. Clean up with guitar volume and right hand.

Anyhoo, was on the pedal-o-the-day train forever. Maybe THIS is just a bit “better”. Whatever that

On a lark I (re)bought the T Rex Soulmate. I’d had it early in my journey. Before I knew what kind of player I was and what I needed from a rig. This time -perfect … enough. Out of production. So I watched Reverb and bought two more as backups, mint with box and manual. Cheap.

One lives at rehearsal space. I use one at home. One sits on a shelf. Done. All funded by the sale of my pedals and boards. And all three less than I had tied up in one modest board (factoring on board, cables, power supply). Neat.

Point being, stick with what works. And buy a backup. At least than $300 it’s a lot less than cycling other pedals that don’t work as well for you.
OK, I was being (typically) obscure. I was just referring to how the Toan Search can cause one to screw up perfectly good Toanz. In the end, I will have fewer pedals, and most of what I have now was funded by selling vintage pedals I rarely if ever used.

It's a Roland build. Keep the electrolytic caps fresh and it will likely last forever. Switches and knobs (the parts that might break down) are easy to replace.

IMO... the compression sounds a LOT like a BOSS CS-1... but I guess that's another 40 year old pedal.
The distortion just sounds like a battery starved fuzz to me.... not something I would ever enjoy but that's just preference.
It probably doesn’t sound as good as I think it does, but I play almost entirely for my own amusement, and when I do play with others, they’re old friends who tolerate my badness. :D

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Never tried that one, but dang, it’s almost as much as just buying a spare Funny Cat. :eek:

Hmm, I"ve seen used Fat Sandwich for $80 on a good day - The Funny Cats kept coming up $400 where I looked.

*silly French voice* “I told dem I already got one. Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!”

Help! Help! He's being repressed!!!

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have feelers out to pedal builders to see if I can get a Funny Cat (Soft Distortion Sustainer side only) replicated. This 40+ year old pedal won’t last forever.
Seems like if anyone could do it, it would be Josh at JHS.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I have a number of pedals that seem to sound mediocre on any given day, but there was something I must have liked about them or I wouldn't have bought them. Therefore, I keep everything and switch things up every so often. Pedals are small and don't take up too much space so I have all those not on my regular board in a box in the garage. When my effects start sounding stale, I just recycle them.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmm, I"ve seen used Fat Sandwich for $80 on a good day - The Funny Cats kept coming up $400 where I looked.

Help! Help! He's being repressed!!!
Yeah, the first one I saw was some kind of weird pricing. A bit more looking shows them to be more normal. Still, I would like to stop trying new things and just get on with using stuff I’ve learned to work with.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Still, I would like to stop trying new things and just get on with using stuff I’ve learned to work with.

Yup, that is how you ruin a pedal board... :lol: I enjoy trying out new stuff.

But I do get the need/desire to focus on what you have. Trying to do that myself.

Last edited: